Mcbee after carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Mcbee after carry?

Post by jdw »

Hi all. I was wondering how folks liked their Mcbee after carrying it for a while? It's a knife that I haven't bought yet because of its size but it keeps calling calling to me and it looks quirky but practical. Are you all who bought one early on still enjoying it? Thanks as always.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SG89

Re: Mcbee after carry?

Post by SG89 »

I bought one early on and sold it soon after. Nice knife but didn't like the way it carried (even with aftermarket clip) or the handle ergos after the initial love wore off.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the McBee. I carry it loose in pocket and I absolutely adore the blade shape and stubby handle. For a two-finger knife it has excellent control and I like being able to put my thumb on the curved ramp. There can be a small fumble factor if you naturally pinch the lockbar when opening the knife, but it's not usually a problem.

It does carry decently clipped, but owing to the short length, it is difficult to clip back on with one hand. I end up grabbing the side of the pocket with my left and sliding the knife in with my right. Not as handy as larger folders like the Delica or easier clips like the Dragonfly.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The McBee is one of my favorite models from Spyderco. I've carried one extensively since last October. I usually carry it as a secondary blade in my coin pocket but will sometimes pocket it by itself for things around the house.

I took the clip off of the one I carry most and tied a leather fob on to it for better grip. It's pretty much a two finger knife otherwise. I really like the McBee for precise controlled cuts because of the overall size. I've found the concave portion of the blade spine provides a perfect spot for your thumb or index finger to help guide the tip of the blade.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Holy Hybrid Batman!! :rolleyes: I just gazed at this Mcbee model. It looks as though Spyderco has their own Biotech lab.
That model is a hybrid between the old "Mouse" model and the first run of the "Yojimbo". Today is the first day I ever took a hard look at that model.

But seriously It's probably a great model for someone doing art work, wood work or any hobby the requires detailed work.

Too small for JD's taste :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not buy one. 1) it was too small 2) it was expensive 3) it felt awful in hand 4) it did not seem practical.

I bought a Roadie.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Yeah the problem is it's priced like the only knife you need but it's going to be pretty frustrating by itself. You'd always need something to go along with it...
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I keep holding out on this in hopes f getting a pochi.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:50 am

So you're saying a XXL McBee is needed. A McBumbleBee!
•• Beau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Or the McQueen Bee. :D
-Nick :bug-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I bought one and liked it, but it kept being mislaid.

When you can’t find a knife on your desk for three days, you have to accept its small size might actually be a disadvantage for you. I sold mine before I lost it.

Seriously, I thought the ergo’s worked very well, but my Ti / Elmax Squeak was even better for me.
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

I have to agree with "secondary", but so are all the other (3-6) knives I have at any given time. The McBee has found a spot in on of my cargo pockets and rides there unnoticed until I need it. Also agree it's best fit is with detailed, controlled cutting, not for slicing up a 2" Ribeye. And, yes, the love is still there.
carrot

Post by carrot »

jdw, assuming you live in the northern hemisphere, you really missed the best time of year to carry the McBee. It really screams "summer carry" with a big bad boy like the Police or Military riding shotgun in your bag or car cupholder.

It is much more capable than it looks and unless you have to butcher a watermelon, you may never feel the need to go get the Police 4.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I keep mine on the kitchen counter and mostly use it as a fancy box opener and to cut shipping labels to size. I rarely carry it out of the house. The build quality is excellent however practically speaking any small wharncliffe does everything the McBee does but in a lighter package.

Here's a few pics next to other small spydies for size comparison
-Turbo
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My wife surprised me with a McBee this past Christmas and it quickly became a favorite. It is a very functional design, despite its size. I have big hands (size XL+ in gloves), but I don’t have any issues opening/closing it one-handed. It fits perfectly in the coin pocket of my jeans and I sometimes even forget that it’s there.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The new all black Manbug wharncliffe: another reason not to buy a McBee.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jdw

Post by jdw »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:52 pm
The new all black Manbug wharncliffe: another reason not to buy a McBee.
Yeah. That killed the idea before it really took off. I like the Manbug in general and and the all black Wharnie fits what I am looking for pretty much exactly.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

McByeBye
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:50 am

So you're saying a XXL McBee is needed. A McBumbleBee!
Well I would sure take a look at a prototype of one if they were to consider making a bigger version of it.

But in my everyday chores and for the stuff I use my knives on a daily basis the smaller/shorter blades just don't do it for me. Probably about as small as I would ever go for a serious EDC would be something in the size range of a Para2 or maybe an Endela at the smallest. Anything smaller/shorter would not get it done for me.

But I will say that this Mcbee model looks well built for a smaller blade.