Is it possible we're stretching spyderco a little thin...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Is it possible we're stretching spyderco a little thin...?

Post by ChrisinHove »

On the contrary, Spyderco’s method is in the balance between cost effective quality work tools and desirable but costlier collectibles.

They need to know what we need, and what we want.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal has said many times that he values input from afi’s and that includes forums, trade shows, the seconds sale or any other chance he gets to speak with end users. Having met Sal a few times I can say that he seems to always be listening and thinking about what he hears.

We make suggestions and they filter through it. Some ideas come to fruition and some do not. They have enough experience and sales data to figure that part out.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:54 am
Sal has said many times that he values input from afi’s and that includes forums, trade shows, the seconds sale or any other chance he gets to speak with end users. Having met Sal a few times I can say that he seems to always be listening and thinking about what he hears.

We make suggestions and they filter through it. Some ideas come to fruition and some do not. They have enough experience and sales data to figure that part out.
Exactly. Sal and co. know exactly what they are doing. They’ve been at it a long time.

Off the top of my head, Sal is the only president of a knife company who actually comes on to forums and interacts with customers who use his company’s knives. He values the feedback.

Also, we forum members are only a teeny-tiny percentage of the Spyderco knife users out there. We really aren’t going to run Spyderco into the ground with all of our wants and suggestions (I haven’t made very many myself).

Jim
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Demand more knives.... NO MERCY!!!

:)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I noticed that there are not many knives coming out of Golden in Reveal 6. Maybe they are playing catch-up or they have a handful of exclusives coming up.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
araneae

Post by araneae »

Look at reveal 6. There are a large number of knives in there that were requested by us on the forums. I'd say we're lucky they listen to our more realistic suggestions and I'd guess Spyderco appreciates constructive feedback and thinking.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Support sprints by purchasing the base model. Not purchasing the sprint itself.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Stretch them thin, thinner the better. Razor thin. I'm all for pushing Spyderco to be the thinnest sharpest knife company ever.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:09 am
Stretch them thin, thinner the better. Razor thin. I'm all for pushing Spyderco to be the thinnest sharpest knife company ever.
you got me there
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
James Y

Post by James Y »

A thought just came to me and reminded me of this thread.

Even if Spyderco is running at full capacity, constant feedback and requests can only be a good thing. It indicates the interest of those who are passionate and care enough to constantly want more. Even if not all requests can be accommodated, the interest and the energy remains fresh. How would it be to have an empty forum where nobody is requesting or suggesting anything?

It’s like a professional TV wrestler once said: “I love going out there in front of the audience, whether they‘re cheering me or booing me. Because it shows they care enough about you/your character to give you feedback with a loud response. If you go out there to dead silence with nobody responding to you either way, you know your career is in trouble.”

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have to say, it gets pretty tiresome seeing threads pop up every day requesting this knife, with this steel, this hardware, this scale material. A very very very small percentage of these requests ever come to production. I'm thinking Spyderco knows what their doing and has plans way beyond what any of us know. A lot of it is just forum chatter and wishful thinking, bringing up conversation.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:56 am
I have to say, it gets pretty tiresome seeing threads pop up every day requesting this knife, with this steel, this hardware, this scale material. A very very very small percentage of these requests ever come to production. I'm thinking Spyderco knows what their doing and has plans way beyond what any of us know. A lot of it is just forum chatter and wishful thinking, bringing up conversation.
True, true.

It’s even happening with knives that aren’t even out yet (or knives that have been out maybe 5 minutes). :p

But still, flowing rivers remain fresh while stagnant ponds do not (just me trying to be profound and failing badly at it). :rolleyes: :D

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:01 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:56 am
True, true.

It’s even happening with knives that aren’t even out yet (or knives that have been out maybe 5 minutes). :p

But still, flowing rivers remain fresh while stagnant ponds do not (just me trying to be profound and failing badly at it). :rolleyes: :D

Jim
Haha, like when the Kapara finally dropped and that day people were already requesting a different steel and a LW format...before they ever even handled a Kapara!

Nothing wrong with people getting excited or having ideas, just seems to be a lot of the same people with all the wild ideas haha. I personally normally see those threads pop up, but skip over them because I know it's going to deviate waaaaaayyyyyy off whatever the OP of said thread was hoping for.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

With all due respect to the OP, but I think few things here are more clear than that Spyderco and the people managing this forum not only tolerate us asking for and proposing new models and variants, they even encourage it and make clear that this is received as valuable inputs:
Just some examples:

- There is Sal himself,multiple times stating that he appreciates ideas and proposals and closely follows most of the related threads
- There is Michael Janich, who literally said (quote): "However, like all things Spyderco, if you really want something, keep asking for it here". (see end of this post by him: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87043&p=1437159#p1437159)

- Has Spyderco a strategy and knows what they are doing and which models and variants they want to bring out?
Sure! But like any clever business (and person by that) they will base that on many inputs and insights in the demands of the market, and just one of those this forum provides.

- Are "we", the forum, a representative picture of the general knife market?
Certainly not, but still the slice of market to which Spyderco has the closest connection and the best insight

- And I think not too few proposals and wishes first uttered here on this forum actually have become reality - either directly, or at least indirectly, as one of many pillars Sal and Spyderco based there decision on to bring out a model or variant out.
Naturally I am most aware of features I myself proposed and whished for (among many others of course), and those actually came to life.For example a serrated ffg Pac Salt or a backlock with edge all the way to the handle (Rock Jumper). Sure I can´t tell if our wishes for that contributed a lot to Sals decision to design that models, but I am sure the constant wishing for such models was at least a bit of a reassurance to go in that direction

- And though for example discussions about how certain supersteels sharpen on this or that stone are interesting and sure valuable, I guess practically speaking for Sal and Spyderco it is more valuable to see which models are well received (and wanting variants of a certain model normally shows that is it well liked) and what features people really want and need or where there is a niche for a currently not yet existing model.

- Then there are feedbacks concerning a certain market segment: As an example: As soon as I saw the first pics of the Rock Jumper I knew that this was the perfect climbing knife. But being a climber I also knew that many in the community would want a variant with a bright colored handle. So I proposed that (again, among others). If climbers on this forum agree, that will be at least a little sign for Spyderco that it could be a good idea to give the next variant a bright handle. If not.. not. :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Well put, Wartstein.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:38 pm
Well put, Wartstein.

Thanks for the kind words! :)
Not too easy for me in English... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

In addition to Warstein's analysis, I would like to add that many of our distributors and dealers watch this forum and your suggestions will often spur their exclusives.

sal
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Wartstein, you nailed it, well done! Oh yeah, Mr. Glesser, you nailed it too! Just wondering, did anyone hear that kissing sound? :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:57 pm
In addition to Warstein's analysis, I would like to add that many of our distributors and dealers watch this forum and your suggestions will often spur their exclusives.

sal
It's good to know that dealers and distributors are watching the chatter here. I think it's also worth noting that dealers and distributors have to pay for their exclusive runs up front, IIRC. So, with a dealer or distro exclusive, they're taking the monetary risk to see if that particular variant will sell, rather than Spyderco taking that risk. The reward is that the dealer / distro gets to keep that exclusive variant as long as they keep ordering it on a somewhat regular basis. Given, it does seem like the time between repeat runs can be rather long, because Spyderco is filling the orders they've taken for others. On the positive side, it gets us all these interesting variants that I'm not sure Spyderco would risk doing on their own.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:57 pm

sal
Nice to have your blessing lol
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v