Fake UF sm rods???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hunt807

Fake UF sm rods???

Post by Hunt807 »

Is there any way of telling if my UF sm rods are knock offs? I recently bought a sharpmaker and have been getting very good results so I thought I’d add some UF rods to take the edge a tad further. However... I am finding that they don’t seem to make any difference, if anything they seem to make the edge worse!
I’m not sure if this is user error or I’ve bought some fakes (got them from amazon). One corner has a small chip and the red paint/marker started coming off quite easily when I’ve cleaned them.
TazKristi

Re: Fake UF sm rods???

Post by TazKristi »

Hunt807 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:00 pm
Is there any way of telling if my UF sm rods are knock offs? I recently bought a sharpmaker and have been getting very good results so I thought I’d add some UF rods to take the edge a tad further. However... I am finding that they don’t seem to make any difference, if anything they seem to make the edge worse!
I’m not sure if this is user error or I’ve bought some fakes (got them from amazon). One corner has a small chip and the red paint/marker started coming off quite easily when I’ve cleaned them.
Hi, Hunt807:
Welcome to our forum. I can't say that I've ever seen counterfeit sharpening rods for our Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. If you could post some pictures, that would be helpful. What you're experiencing could be your technique. We have a wealth of information here, so you're in the right place.

The red marking on the bottom isn't necessarily permanent, but I'm curious about your cleaning them so soon. It usually takes a little while for the stones to need cleaning.

If you could also post some pictures of your knife's edge that might help us guide you better too. I'm going to move this thread into the General Discussion area. I think you'll get a lot more help there and I don't think it's likely that your stones are counterfeit.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Which steel(s) are you sharpening on the UF rods, and how much pressure are you using?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hunt807 wrote:
Personally I don't buy anything from Amazon or any of those other super-retailers on the web. I only deal with reputable dealers that specialize in cutlery and sharpening equipment. Sure I pay a dollar or two more but I'm 1000% assured that I have the "Genuine Article". Not to mention good dealers seem to stand behind what they sell. I would encourage you and others to take that option.

Now UF stones are really super fine finishing stones. If your blade isn't sharp enough to shave thin, flimsy paper then you really shouldn't even be using an Ultra-Fine stone anyway. The Ultra-fine stones that Spyderco makes tend to make a really sharp edge even sharper.

If you want to PM me I can give you a list of about 6 to 10 reputable dealers to get Spyderco sharpening gear from. Or you can just buy it directly from SFO ( Spyderco Factory Outlet). I always do well dealing with them.
Hunt807

Post by Hunt807 »

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies chaps...
I will try to get some pics up tomorrow/Monday.

I am sharpening a ukpk 110v and a Manix 2 xl sv30, (I’m having more trouble with the 110v). Regarding pressure whilst sharpening... I am never really applying any force and always make the last few passes on each stone very light (weight of the blade).

I probably clean the rods before they need cleaning tbh, I just like to have clean stones before I use them. I have some experience with honing straight razors and always do a few laps with my atoma 600 to clean the stones before using them so kinda force of habit.

I also may have posted the same question in another place on here so please excuse... I’m new :/
Hunt807

Post by Hunt807 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:35 pm
Hunt807 wrote:
Personally I don't buy anything from Amazon or any of those other super-retailers on the web. I only deal with reputable dealers that specialize in cutlery and sharpening equipment. Sure I pay a dollar or two more but I'm 1000% assured that I have the "Genuine Article". Not to mention good dealers seem to stand behind what they sell. I would encourage you and others to take that option.

Now UF stones are really super fine finishing stones. If your blade isn't sharp enough to shave thin, flimsy paper then you really shouldn't even be using an Ultra-Fine stone anyway. The Ultra-fine stones that Spyderco makes tend to make a really sharp edge even sharper.

If you want to PM me I can give you a list of about 6 to 10 reputable dealers to get Spyderco sharpening gear from. Or you can just buy it directly from SFO ( Spyderco Factory Outlet). I always do well dealing with them.
I’m based in the UK and buy most of my stuff from HH, I got the rods from amazon to save a few quid but I make you right! I will be buying all future bits from a reputable seller for peace of mind. Then I won’t have to second guess whether I have bad product or bad technique
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Hunt807 wrote:
Welcome! :)

The red marker on mine came off after a few cleans, so I colour it with a blue marker now, to easily differentiate it from the medium ones.

It’s most likely you haven’t apexed the edge consistently and cleanly before progressing to the ultrafines.

You might also want to check how consistently you’re holding your knife in the vertical plane. Also, that whatever base you’re placing the SM unit on is flat and stable - I’d check that with a level.

If you’re having problems getting better refinement with the ultrafines, then you could try apexing at 15dps first, before you go to the UF rods, then do a few light passes at 20dps on the UFs to crisp up the edge.

Good luck and let us know how you go. :)
Last edited by Cambertree on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hunt.

Welcome to our forum.

May I suggest a loupe, maybe 10X -15X ? It will help you to understand what is going on with the edge.

sal
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

You may want to try something less abrasive than the Atoma 600 for regular cleaning. I personally use the Idahone Superaser Fibrous Cleaning Blocks to clean my ceramic Sharpmaker stones before each use.

https://idahoners.com/collections/acces ... ning-block
-Turbo
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:45 am
You may want to try something less abrasive than the Atoma 600 for regular cleaning. I personally use the Idahone Superaser Fibrous Cleaning Blocks to clean my ceramic Sharpmaker stones before each use.

https://idahoners.com/collections/acces ... ning-block
I have one of those from another company but hadn't used it for anything. So I tried it on one of fine stones. It worked pretty well. I still think Bar Keeper's Friend on a scouring pad does a better job. Good to have options though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Hunt807

Post by Hunt807 »

Yep it was me, not the UF rods!
I looked through a loupe (thanks Sal) and noticed that I had a nice shiny bevel but only on one side. Went back to 30 using the corners of all rods and got things evened up before starting again on 40. I also checked the original table I used and it wasn’t very level (thanks cambertree) so stood up at the kitchen work top instead of sitting down as previous sessions, I think this also helped keep everything straight on my strokes. Seems to have done the trick! Now have a nice polished edge on both sides that is very sharp, easily push cutting newspaper.

Thanks for all of your comments and feedback very helpful indeed!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Hunt807 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:18 pm
Yep it was me, not the UF rods!
I looked through a loupe (thanks Sal) and noticed that I had a nice shiny bevel but only on one side. Went back to 30 using the corners of all rods and got things evened up before starting again on 40. I also checked the original table I used and it wasn’t very level (thanks cambertree) so stood up at the kitchen work top instead of sitting down as previous sessions, I think this also helped keep everything straight on my strokes. Seems to have done the trick! Now have a nice polished edge on both sides that is very sharp, easily push cutting newspaper.

Thanks for all of your comments and feedback very helpful indeed!
Good stuff mate, I’m glad it worked for you. :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That satisfaction of the feeling of success! Well done OP. It gets easier the more you practice.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick