what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 9705
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby Doc Dan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:07 am

Enuff
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
DSH007
Member
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:49 pm
Location: Merrimac, MA

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby DSH007 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:30 am

Lil Temp 3 jumps immediately to mind.. really beefy bladestock, broad leaf-shape ffg blade, sturdy pointed tip, liners, and compression lock make this knife an underrated tank..

As others have said, you can't go wrong with a Tenacious. Resilience if you're looking for something a little larger.. for the simple fact that it's not going to break the bank if you do manage to destroy the knife..

Any serrated H1 model Salt .. depends on your size preferences.. I like the SE Salt 2. Definitely a tough knife.. not sure how that blunted tip is going to do against a robot though.. ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby wrdwrght » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:58 am

The Enuff Salt is a prybar with a nasty Spyderedge.

Probably wouldn’t be comfortable sitting on it and its sheath, though.

blueblur
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby blueblur » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:09 pm

When I think back pocket knife, I think of the Military. I’m a tip up carry guy but have found the tip down carry of the Military works well in my back right pocket. I’m never carrying anything else in that pocket so space is not an issue and I don’t worry about the blade opening in the pocket since the spine is against the pocket seam, just like a tip up knife carried in my right front pocket.

I don’t do stupid things with my knives so that part doesn’t apply :p

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby prndltech » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Shorter/thicker blades transmit less force to the tip due to less leverage... SE Salt 2 or SE delica. Serious work knives.

I have a SE pac salt that’s dedicated to my IDGAF mentality. It’s no worse for wear.
- Shannon

murphjd25
Member
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Bothell,WA

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby murphjd25 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:40 am

I can only think of one knife that I have seen driven through cinder blocks and batoning through 8 and 16 penny nails. It’s not a spyderco. Out of respect PM me if you want to know.
Josh

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:28 pm
As the title states I'm looking for something to throw in my back right pocket for cutting tasks I'm too afraid to do with my watu. Like dragging the edge along cinder blocks and stabbing robots. That recently announced cruwear delica with something like a 4x4 recluse clip would probably do it but I'm wondering if any of you have any different suggestions. I do have a k390 ladybug on my keys but it always feels a lil unwieldy.

so basically,
-tough
-comfortable to carry

that's all really. thanks in advance y'all.
Sounds about like how I treated my Caribbean.

I like carrying a large beater knife and a small fancy knife.

My Micro Dyad sees 90% of the action these days. But, the Caribbean is there for the stupid stuff. Like, cutting against concrete, digging holes, chopping up bricks, breaking into your own home, etc. :p

Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby Spydergirl88 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Shaman

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3421
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby JuPaul » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:32 pm

SE Pac Salt, or find a used s30v shaman for a good price (because it'd be hard for me to make a $200 knife into a total beater).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby prndltech » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:37 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:32 pm
SE Pac Salt, or find a used s30v shaman for a good price (because it'd be hard for me to make a $200 knife into a total beater).
But $100 pocket knife is acceptable?


This is how you know we’re not normal people
- Shannon

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8587
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby xceptnl » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:42 pm

I don't think it exactly fits the criteria you stated, but for sub $40 you need a bow river.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3421
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby JuPaul » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:18 pm

prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:37 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:32 pm
SE Pac Salt, or find a used s30v shaman for a good price (because it'd be hard for me to make a $200 knife into a total beater).
But $100 pocket knife is acceptable?


This is how you know we’re not normal people
Lol - yes, exactly. I mean, I want to know my beaters are reliable! ;) ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby prndltech » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 pm

Image
Image
Image


I gave this rat 2 to a friend of mine a year ago and this is what it looks like now. I just gave him a SE Delica. We’ll see what happens in a 11 months....
- Shannon

User avatar
Takuan
Member
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 pm

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby Takuan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:42 am

prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 pm
I gave this rat 2 to a friend of mine a year ago and this is what it looks like now. I just gave him a SE Delica. We’ll see what happens in a 11 months....
Yikes. Definitely don’t give your friend a puppy. ;)
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby prndltech » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:47 am

Takuan wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:42 am
prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 pm
I gave this rat 2 to a friend of mine a year ago and this is what it looks like now. I just gave him a SE Delica. We’ll see what happens in a 11 months....
Yikes. Definitely don’t give your friend a puppy. ;)
:D
- Shannon

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19632
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby JD Spydo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:56 pm

prndltech wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 pm
Image

I gave this rat 2 to a friend of mine a year ago and this is what it looks like now. I just gave him a SE Delica. We’ll see what happens in a 11 months....
The extreme wear on that pocket clip tells the story. If I got this straight you basically want a "beater" and/or a blade that has undergone the equivalent of a World War.

I'm thinking that my old Spyderco ATS-55 STainless RESCUE model is a knife in my "user rotation" that has undergone a really torturous tenure as my first choice SE Companion blade. It's one blade that I have no fear, no apprehension, and basically no consideration as to what damage it might incur during use. That's one of the luxuries of serrated, stainless handled folders they don't show wear and tear like most other folders do. That might be a consideration for such a job as you described ;)

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby Tucson Tom » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:01 pm

To me, that RAT looks just fine. Clean that roofing tar or whatever it is off with paint thinner or some solvent. The wear on the clip should just be a sign of pride and use. I have a pistol that I bought used with holster wear that looks a lot like that and the gun itself is entirely AOK and I like it even better with signs of use.

The RAT looks like what a working man's knife should look like. But clean up that blade.

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1473
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby prndltech » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:21 pm

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:01 pm
To me, that RAT looks just fine. Clean that roofing tar or whatever it is off with paint thinner or some solvent. The wear on the clip should just be a sign of pride and use. I have a pistol that I bought used with holster wear that looks a lot like that and the gun itself is entirely AOK and I like it even better with signs of use.

The RAT looks like what a working man's knife should look like. But clean up that blade.
Already done, but the blade itself is bent so far it hits the liner. With the exception of that, it is fine.
- Shannon

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: what's best back pocket knife for doing stupid things?

Postby Tucson Tom » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:07 pm

prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:21 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:01 pm
To me, that RAT looks just fine. Clean that roofing tar or whatever it is off with paint thinner or some solvent. The wear on the clip should just be a sign of pride and use. I have a pistol that I bought used with holster wear that looks a lot like that and the gun itself is entirely AOK and I like it even better with signs of use.

The RAT looks like what a working man's knife should look like. But clean up that blade.
Already done, but the blade itself is bent so far it hits the liner. With the exception of that, it is fine.
Ah, a bent blade. Well my luck with that is pretty bad so far. I put one in a vise and got it "straight enough"
and should have stopped there. I decided to tweak it one more time to make it "perfect" and it snapped.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bill1170, Igi964, Jurphaas, Librarian, Majestic-12 [Bot], tonijedi and 56 guests

cron