Would you buy a Catcherman 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Catcherman 2?

Yes
63%
No
17%
Maybe
17%
I would prefer a Catcherman 1 Salt
2%

Total votes: 52

VashHash

Re: Would you buy a Catcherman 2?

Post by VashHash »

I'd buy either catcherman if it's SE H1.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

PS, LC200n, left or right hand Ti clip. I would need at least 4. I am sure there are many buyers like me out there that would be getting 2 or more.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Yes! I would get one for each of my 3 boys. They all love to fish.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I seem to recall Sal saying something to the effect that if he were to pursue a filet knife in the future, he would reach out to Phil Wilson which would mean a new design from the bottom up. I do not think Sal would ask Phil Wilson to endorse or give his stamp of approval of a reissuance of the Catcherman as a filet knife...............at least not with a straight face. Then again, what do I know.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I vored maybe because I would buy it in linerless FRN, with a FFG SE blade, but not any other configuration. Don't care about the handle color, clip type, or the hardware color. Don't even care that much about blade steel (within limits). I have a USN sprint Catcherman and think it's a terrific knife.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:42 am
Diamondback wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:59 am
No...they would most likely retail for around $169 and that would be too much for me to spend on a fish knife.
What leads you to believe it would cost $55 more than a similarly sized police 4?
....the Police4 has a VG-10 blade. H1 or LC200N, and the cost of an FRN mould will surely add on costs. If these are Sprint Runs tack on more $. Spyderco doesn't do anything in the bargain category. There's the value line, but a Tenacious is now over fifty bucks. The Chinese made Polestar now costs $70.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Diamondback wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:57 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Diamondback wrote:
No...they would most likely retail for around $169 and that would be too much for me to spend on a fish knife.
What leads you to believe it would cost $55 more than a similarly sized police 4?
....the Police4 has a VG-10 blade. H1 or LC200N, and the cost of an FRN mould will surely add on costs. If these are Sprint Runs tack on more $. Spyderco doesn't do anything in the bargain category. There's the value line, but a Tenacious is now over fifty bucks. The Chinese made Polestar now costs $70.
I would be fine with the original molds. And the Catcherman is more than just a fish knife.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:06 pm
Diamondback wrote:
Notsurewhy wrote:
Diamondback wrote:
I would be fine with the original molds. And the Catcherman is more than just a fish knife.
Landon tell them how good the Catcherman is in full SE!! My old AUS-8 Catcherman in full SE gets use in my kitchen at least once to twice a week and has for years. I also take it with me everytime I got on an outdoor venture ( hunting, fishing or hiking).

The older AUS-8 Catcherman in full SE has a lower profile serration pattern that I like better than about any other serration pattern Spyderco ever made. I would love to see a fully serrated Catcherman in either MBS-26, LC200N or even in VG-10 SE for that matter in the same pattern that the older AUS-8 version had.

The Catcherman should have never been shelved in my opinion. Especially the full SE version. What I wouldn't give for the yellow handled one that he has in that pic :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Diamondback wrote:
Notsurewhy wrote:
Diamondback wrote:
Don't sleep on the $30 FRN Cara Cara 2.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be interested in one, so yes.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:06 pm
Diamondback wrote:
Notsurewhy wrote:
Diamondback wrote:
I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong. ;)...any Spyderco I can put in my pocket is a good thing. :spyder: Although personally I'd be unlikely to use a folding knife in the kitchen, unless I was out of reach of my cooking knives.
Don't sleep on the $30 FRN Cara Cara 2.
... yes the Byrd line still offers great value. I have a Cara Cara and it's "rough and tumble."
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

From the 1994 PDF catalogue
Screenshot_2020-09-04 Spyderco1994 pdf.png
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

If it went on regular sale I'd get one. I prefer not to chase after limited release unobtanium editions.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’d be up for one for sure, and probably a couple more for gifts.

A Cruwear PE sounds great, as does a LC SE or CE.

I’d even be happy with MBS26 again.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:36 am
If it went on regular sale I'd get one. I prefer not to chase after limited release unobtanium editions.
In some ways I can't argue with that. But please do consider that it's a real gamble for Spyderco to bring back a model that has been discontinued ( especially for the main line up). Folks here on the Forum would sure buy them up no doubt. But do consider we are a microcosm of the overall market.

I want another full SE Catcherman so bad I can taste it. But we've got to start some place. Just like with my passion for the C-60 Ayoob. If we start with a Sprint Run and if it goes over like wildfire then you got a good indicator that it will do well in the main line up. We got to look at it from Spyderco's point of view too. Because if they don't cut a profit they aren't able to pay the light bill.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:59 am
I’d be up for one for sure, and probably a couple more for gifts.

A Cruwear PE sounds great, as does a LC SE or CE.

I’d even be happy with MBS26 again.
Glad you brought up the older MBS-26 Catcherman models. Because I've always liked it more than I did the H-1 Sprint Run. And MBS-26 is another blade steel I like in SE & PE both. I kind of put it along side VG-10 in that respect.

I would be more tempted to try one in XHP than I would with Cruwear. I know that XHP is a good steel for serrated edges but I'm not sure about Cruwear for SE.

I'm a bit perplexed that the Catcherman wasn't a permanent model like the Endura, Delica, POLICE ect. Everyone I've ever talked to that ever used a Catcherman has been sold on them. And the MBS-26 models that were sold from early 2000s till about 2005 or so. I would have loved to have been able to get a full SE Catcherman in MBS-26 but I don't think they ever made one.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:22 am

I'm a bit perplexed that the Catcherman wasn't a permanent model like the Endura, Delica, POLICE ect. Everyone I've ever talked to that ever used a Catcherman has been sold on them. And the MBS-26 models that were sold from early 2000s till about 2005 or so. I would have loved to have been able to get a full SE Catcherman in MBS-26 but I don't think they ever made one.

The Catcherman is one of a handful of discontinued models that I think should be updated (bi-directional FRN, updated clips, Salt steels or newer supersteels) and brought back as permanent members in the lineup due to being unique iconic cult classics. Spyderco could even market them as a Cult Classics line or Throwback Line or something with some unique 80/90's retro FRN colors.

Catcherman 2 Salt FFG LC200N PE & SE
Spyderhawk 2 Salt FFG LC200N SE
Jester 2 LW Salt H1 PE & SE
Cricket 2 LW Salt H1 PE & SE
Worker 2 LW Salt H1 PE & SE
Dodo 2 LW SPY27 PE & SE

I'd buy one of each of these in each edge type. They are all classics in my book and the updated materials and a little marketing/hype could give them broad mass appeal.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red