My EDC fixed blade carry method

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Re: My EDC fixed blade carry method

Post by Sonorum »

vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:35 am
ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:41 am
This thread has me considering EDC fixed blade. I have done a lot of fixed blade EDC, but always in a bag on my back. I am hooked on the ease of a folder with a good clip and have a hard time with the pokey nature of fixed blade EDC.
That was my biggest issue. Deploying fixed blades is super easy regardless of carry method. Re-sheathing them quickly and easily took some more figuring out.

If I need to resheath my Street Beat one handed in the dark I can. I index the tip with my pointer finger and guide it back to the sheath. Even carried IWB I don't poke myself.
This the one big advantage of folders in general. I often combine a fixed blade with a folder. I mostly edc a fixed blade because of how nice it feels with something that solid.
/ David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So I'm gonna give this and several other carry methods a try, but my issue with tucking it IWB like this is that I drive a truck all day so I spend a lot of time in a seated position, so at the very least I don't think appendix is going to work. I've been carrying my ARK horizontally on the front of my belt now for a couple weeks and I really like it there, the access is great and it's easy to get back in the sheath, but the issue is that the overall size of the ARK package is smaller than some sheaths alone so I'm not sure a larger knife will work as easily there. I'm going to rest run my Ronin 2 in that spot today and see how it goes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:26 am
So I'm gonna give this and several other carry methods a try, but my issue with tucking it IWB like this is that I drive a truck all day so I spend a lot of time in a seated position, so at the very least I don't think appendix is going to work. I've been carrying my ARK horizontally on the front of my belt now for a couple weeks and I really like it there, the access is great and it's easy to get back in the sheath, but the issue is that the overall size of the ARK package is smaller than some sheaths alone so I'm not sure a larger knife will work as easily there. I'm going to rest run my Ronin 2 in that spot today and see how it goes.
I actually moved away from IWB carry in favor of clipped pocket carry:

https://streamable.com/xryskl

Haven't come up with anything better than this for me.

IWB in certain situations I'd worry about printing or my shirt getting hung up on the handle after bending over etc. This method has been worry free for me. EDC'd the Street Beat all of February this way.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:08 am
Evil D wrote:

IWB in certain situations I'd worry about printing or my shirt getting hung up on the handle after bending over etc. This method has been worry free for me. EDC'd the Street Beat all of February this way.

What is it clipped to? I did carry my Street Beat that way for a while but drawing it from inside a pocket while seated is going to be an issue.

I even looked into something like this that I can mount the sheath to in my pocket.
https://rcsgear.com/pocket-shield-4
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I personally have been loving the scout carry position with my small Guardian 3 fixed blades.

David - I also drive quite a bit during the day (on the forklift) on and off the lift pretty frequently, lots of bending over to pick things up, kneeling down. I'm yet to have any kind of discomfort or snagging issues. I've tried multiple different ways of carrying with the Mule, but I just can't find one that's comfortable in all positions, as well as being discreet.

Of course finding a knife that's just the right size is an issue for this kind of carry. But I'm sure you've seen me glowing about these knives the past couple months...so here's one more time haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:49 am
vivi wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:08 am
Evil D wrote:

What is it clipped to? I did carry my Street Beat that way for a while but drawing it from inside a pocket while seated is going to be an issue.

I even looked into something like this that I can mount the sheath to in my pocket.
https://rcsgear.com/pocket-shield-4
There's a mini-carabiner from a Surefire Sidekick attached to a short paracord loop tied to the corner of the sheath. Somewhere I have some better photos and videos posted.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Evil D wrote:
One other option you might consider is "static line" or "static cord" carry. This is basically a loop of 550 cord attached to the tip of the sheath. The cord is looped over the belt with a cow hitch and then the sheath is tucked into the waistband in appendix carry. The advantage of this approach are that the knife and sheath draw together, so the blade clears the sheath away from your body. This allows you to draw in any direction with either hand. It also makes sheathing the knife safer and easier than traditional IWB carry, since you do it away from your body. Best of all, when you get into a vehicle, you simply pull the knife and sheath out of your waistband and set it on the seat next to you. That allows you to buckle up and keeps the knife accessible if you need to defend yourself inside the car. You won't forget it when you exit the vehicle, as it's still attached to your belt and will "remind" you that it's coming with.

Here's a video I did for the USCCA on this style of carry:

https://youtu.be/15ktlHi8etA

Stay safe,

Mike
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for that Mike, very helpful. I've always thought neck knives were pretty cool...just never wanted to carry one around my neck. You probably just cost me some money haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It might seem simple but that is some very useful information in that video. Also after watching it, I can't believe I was dumb enough to carry a neck knife around my neck with 550 cord! :eek:
-Nick :bug-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

Very cool. It can work even with just a belt loop if one is a suspender person I guess.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:18 am
Evil D wrote:
One other option you might consider is "static line" or "static cord" carry. This is basically a loop of 550 cord attached to the tip of the sheath. The cord is looped over the belt with a cow hitch and then the sheath is tucked into the waistband in appendix carry. The advantage of this approach are that the knife and sheath draw together, so the blade clears the sheath away from your body. This allows you to draw in any direction with either hand. It also makes sheathing the knife safer and easier than traditional IWB carry, since you do it away from your body. Best of all, when you get into a vehicle, you simply pull the knife and sheath out of your waistband and set it on the seat next to you. That allows you to buckle up and keeps the knife accessible if you need to defend yourself inside the car. You won't forget it when you exit the vehicle, as it's still attached to your belt and will "remind" you that it's coming with.

Stay safe,

Mike

I'm going to give this a try today and see how it goes. One thing that stood out real fast with the Jumpmaster is, having a longer blade makes the motion of drawing the knife out of the sheath much longer if you have the sheath on your belt in a vertical orientation. I had it on my belt at 3:00 and drawing it straight up out of the sheath put my arm in a really high unnatural position where my hand was practically in my armpit.

It seems like the "slipping too far into my wasteband" part can also be controlled by how long you make the static line. If the line is made short enough it will limit how deep the sheath can go. I'll definitely look into the grip tape though, I definitely want it to stay put and can't have it moving around on me while I work, and the last thing you want is to reach for a knife and it not be where you expect it to be.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:18 am
Evil D wrote:

Stay safe,

Mike
I tried this with your Ronin 2 fixed blade a few years ago and have nothing but good things to say about this carry method. Thanks for making me aware of it!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:08 am

I tried this with your Ronin 2 fixed blade a few years ago and have nothing but good things to say about this carry method. Thanks for making me aware of it!

I'm immediately seeing a difference between the static line and your small loop method. With the small loop, the sheath can only come out of your waste band so far, and it can only go into your waste band so far. That allows for the potential for one handed sheathing, which can be good or bad depending on the situation as Mike points out in that video it may be safer to resheath it with two hands away from your body. Another thing like I mentioned before, the distance of the draw is increased with a longer line since the sheath is going to come out of your pants some distance before the knife comes out of the sheath, and the longer the blade is the longer the draw which means I may be looking at a much longer draw motion than I want.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:19 am
vivi wrote:

I'm immediately seeing a difference between the static line and your small loop method. With the small loop, the sheath can only come out of your waste band so far, and it can only go into your waste band so far. That allows for the potential for one handed sheathing, which can be good or bad depending on the situation as Mike points out in that video it may be safer to resheath it with two hands away from your body. Another thing like I mentioned before, the distance of the draw is increased with a longer line since the sheath is going to come out of your pants some distance before the knife comes out of the sheath, and the longer the blade is the longer the draw which means I may be looking at a much longer draw motion than I want.
Yep, there's pros and cons to both methods. I think my small loop is better for (my) EDC needs, while the longer cords are nice for defensive carry. Of course either method can fill each role, but that is how I see their strengths.

Can't recall if I shared this video here, but this is nice for smaller FB's: https://streamable.com/pv0v2q

The longer the cord the deeper the pocket carry. I setup mine the same way I like my folders - around 1/4" of handle exposed for easier draw than deep carry. If you look up sf mini-carabiner on amazon or ebay that's what the clip is. They're strong enough to grab on to the corner of my pocket and not come loose no matter how hard I yank the knife out of the sheath.

As long as I'm not moving around too much while using the knife, I can re-sheath it one handed easily since it stays at the opening of my pocket like the video shows. Super handy for quick cuts, just as fast as any of my folders.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:17 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:19 am
vivi wrote:

Yep, there's pros and cons to both methods. I think my small loop is better for (my) EDC needs, while the longer cords are nice for defensive carry. Of course either method can fill each role, but that is how I see their strengths.

Can't recall if I shared this video here, but this is nice for smaller FB's: https://streamable.com/pv0v2q

The longer the cord the deeper the pocket carry. I setup mine the same way I like my folders - around 1/4" of handle exposed for easier draw than deep carry. If you look up sf mini-carabiner on amazon or ebay that's what the clip is. They're strong enough to grab on to the corner of my pocket and not come loose no matter how hard I yank the knife out of the sheath.

As long as I'm not moving around too much while using the knife, I can re-sheath it one handed easily since it stays at the opening of my pocket like the video shows. Super handy for quick cuts, just as fast as any of my folders.

That looks like a good setup for a Street Beat sized knife. I've slipping this Jumpmaster in KY pocket and it might work but it'll take some deep pockets. I've got that Pocket Shield ordered to try out too.
~David
Valter

Post by Valter »

Vivi,
Thank You for sharing. Very simple, cheap and versatile. I have been attaching lengths of paracord to my sheaths for years, for pocket carry, but it never occurred to me to just use a smaller loop.