How do you carry your knives and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JTowns

Re: How do you carry your knives and why?

Post by JTowns »

I usually carry my knife clipped in my right rear pocket. I do this mostly because I try to keep it way from my phone that I usually carry in my right from pocket. I don't like to pay for insurance on my phones so I avoid metal coming in contact with the screen at all costs. I learned my lesson a while ago about keeping keys and a phone in the same pocket.
Current Collection: Para 3 LW, Manix 2 DLC, Amalgam, Tenacious, Resilience
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sonorum wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:26 pm
I know nothing about carrying guns as an edc. Isn't it difficult to fit inside a pants pocket?

It certainly depends on the pants and the size of the handgun. Skinny jeans and dress pants would be poor choices, as would large handguns. I wear relaxed fit jeans, in a waist size large enough to require a belt and the guns I pocket carry are Smith & Wesson J-frame snubnose revolvers. As with most things there are trade-offs. You're obviously going to be limited to smaller guns and fewer rounds without reloading. Draw speed is definitely going to be lower than with a belt holster but, in situations where "something just doesn't feel right" you can have your hand on the gun, ready to draw, and just look like someone standing casually with their hands in their pockets to anyone, including the potential threat. It's also the only carry method, aside from a crotch holster, :eek: that works with shorts and no shirt.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:46 am
Sonorum wrote:
I know nothing about carrying guns as an edc. Isn't it difficult to fit inside a pants pocket?

It certainly depends on the pants and the size of the handgun. Skinny jeans and dress pants would be poor choices, as would large handguns. I wear relaxed fit jeans, in a waist size large enough to require a belt and the guns I pocket carry are Smith & Wesson J-frame snubnose revolvers. As with most things there are trade-offs. You're obviously going to be limited to smaller guns and fewer rounds without reloading. Draw speed is definitely going to be lower than with a belt holster but, in situations where "something just doesn't feel right" you can have your hand on the gun, ready to draw, and just look like someone standing casually with their hands in their pockets to anyone, including the potential threat. It's also the only carry method, aside from a crotch holster, :eek: that works with shorts and no shirt.
Agreed, Paul.

I have more than one model of certain knives with one set up for right pocket carry, and one setup for left pocket carry. Toss a 442 in its pocket holster in the right front pocket of Wrangler cargo pants and I'll carry the knife in the left pocket. Which pocket the knife ends up in depends on where the iPhone is, too. The Wranglers' pockets are relaxed enough that for my hand size I can casually keep it on the 442.
Last edited by Pokey on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:46 am
Sonorum wrote:

Makes sense! Do those lack the hammer of a normal revolver?

Where I live you can't carry a gun but I've been to the shooting range a lot of times. Currently trying to get a license so that I can take over my father's revolver and auto.
/ David
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I wear a t-shirt and shorts 99.9% of the time so IWB is convenient and doesn't take up any of my limited pocket space.
-Turbo
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Sonorum wrote:

Yes, but it depends on your circumstances. You know why that baggy hip-hop style became popular, right? Personally, I like my clothes to fit properly, so my pocket gun is rather small and reserved for those times when I wear a tucked shirt. If my shirt is untucked, then the gun is much more sensible inside or outside the waistband, at my side. In a pocket is my last choice for carrying.

But back to knives. Mine goes at the rear of my front pocket, and that's the only thing that goes in that pocket. Remember, I wear clothes that fit, so I can't carry around a whole hardware store and look presentable. If the knife interferes with the gun in any way, then the knife will go at the outside edge of the back pocket. Again, that's the only thing that will go into that pocket.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As of this point in time I'm using my right-front and left-front pockets. In the past few years I EDC one PE blade and one SE companion blade almost everyday. I find myself using both edge types throughout the day.

However here lately I'm starting to take a hard look at EVIL D's SE only carry. But even if I eventually go that route I will probably still carry some type of companion blade.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

My primary EDC Spyderco knife (always a Golden, CO, PE :spyder: ) is clipped to my RFP... I do this because it is my "go to" knife when I really need to a knife.

My secondary EDC Spyderco knives (typically the Spyderco Delica 4 PE and SE and/or Spyderco Assist FRN Orange) are clipped to my LFP and LBP. I go to them if I need a smaller PE or need an SE :spyder: . If I'm carrying my Assist as a VEDC (Vehicle Everyday Carry), it's clipped to my LFP.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!