How do you carry your knives and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Thunderpants

Re: How do you carry your knives and why?

Post by Thunderpants »

Mine are scattered all over my desk. I never actually have a knife when I need one.
KillaCaltron

Post by KillaCaltron »

Front right pocket: lil native Rex45
Rear right pocket: Delica 4 SG

At work if I'm carrying my utility knife I'll often put the Delica in my front left and carry my fastback in the right rear pocket.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Something big clipped in my back right pocket, mostly a millie; something smaller in the watch pocket, like the Urban. Usually something else in the front right pocket, by itself to avoid stupid human tricks. I keep my ladybug on a lanyard and drop the knife in my shirt pocket. It has a quick detach buckle.
SDCowboy

Post by SDCowboy »

I just throw it in my right pocket, loose, with the clip removed. I don't like clipping the knife to my pocket.
SDCowboy

Post by SDCowboy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm
Something big clipped in my back right pocket, mostly a millie; something smaller in the watch pocket, like the Urban. Usually something else in the front right pocket, by itself to avoid stupid human tricks. I keep my ladybug on a lanyard and drop the knife in my shirt pocket. It has a quick detach buckle.
You carry five knives on you? Or am I reading this wrong? lol
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

In my teeth, like a pirate. And it's a Ladybug 3 Salt Hawkbill, of course. ARRGH! :D
Last edited by Pokey on Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

justjohn wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 am
I carry one Spyderco clipped inside my right front pocket. Why?....because I have my Glock SF36 right next to it. :D
I clip it to the left front pocket when the heater is OWB on the right side. Otherwise, it's clipped to the right front pocket.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

SDCowboy wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:59 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:29 pm
You carry five knives on you? Or am I reading this wrong? lol
3 knives and a popper.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I usually carry three knives, also. Keychain, folder and fixed. It's mostly because I'm a knife nut and like playing with them. But even when traveling I almost always have folder and keychain knives.
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Most often in my fifth (coin) pocket. The fifth isn't very useful for anything else, but it is perfect for small to medium sized folding knives. If I have a climbing harness on, a drop pocket on the side is preferred.

For small fixed blades, I prefer horizontal belt carry, usually behind the back. If I am frequently taking the knife in and out of the sheath, then I will carry it in front. If I cannot carry a fixed knife on my belt, then it will generally be carried in a back pack.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Primary folder is always carried in the bottom of my left back pocket because there's been a knife back there for over 65 years. Kiwi always rides in my watch/coin pocket because it fits nicely in an otherwise wasted piece of real estate. Burgundy Micarta Jester is on the ring with my house key and a swivel snap that gets clipped to an S-biner that hangs on a belt loop on my right side because it's the perfect key ring knife. Only knives I ever carry clipped are automatics and, when I do, they get clipped at the back of my right front pocket because my left front pocket is reserved for my handgun and my right back pocket is reserved for my wallet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Primary folder is always clipped in the right corner of my right back pocket. If I’m wearing jeans, I usually carry a small secondary folder, like a dragonfly or ca legal Kershaw auto, in my watch pocket.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 am
Primary folder is always carried in the bottom of my left back pocket because there's been a knife back there for over 65 years. Kiwi always rides in my watch/coin pocket because it fits nicely in an otherwise wasted piece of real estate. Burgundy Micarta Jester is on the ring with my house key and a swivel snap that gets clipped to an S-biner that hangs on a belt loop on my right side because it's the perfect key ring knife. Only knives I ever carry clipped are automatics and, when I do, they get clipped at the back of my right front pocket because my left front pocket is reserved for my handgun and my right back pocket is reserved for my wallet.
I know nothing about carrying guns as an edc. Isn't it difficult to fit inside a pants pocket?

On topic:
I usually have a larger knife in my right back pocket and a smaller knife in my right front.
/ David
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Sadly, no full sized knife knife at work. We are prohibited from using our own knives and only allowed the company provided and approved box cutters. If I carried my knife I would use it out of habit and I'm not in the mood to look for new employment. Always a small one on my keychain. I keep hoping for a ladybug or manbug in Ti, Alas.

When away from work, clipless in front right pocket. I prefer knives with lanyard/fob holes and have modded several spydercos. (Sage 2 got drilled, My curent favorite is a stealth Chaparral. I made a loop of titanium wire and screwed it into the wire clip slots, It works better than I imagined.) The only knives I've lost from a pocket were clipped, plus I bent many.

My most carried fixed blade is a Bradford Guardian and I really like the horizontal carry sheath.

Grizz
James Y

Post by James Y »

Nothing special about my EDC and carry methods.

I always carry two SAKs; a Victorinox Executive in RF pocket, and either my Spartan or my Pioneer in my LF pocket. Clipped to my RF pocket is whichever Spyderco I’m carrying. Which most recently is my SE Endela. I almost always wear cargo pants or cargo shorts, so my wallet is never in the same pocket as a knife.

I never carry a knife in a rear pocket. I don’t like sitting on knives. The only thing I’ll carry in a rear pocket is my little coin purse.

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RFP probably 99% of the time.

IWB occasionally when running.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I carry my knife in my pocket in case I need to cut something.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Hobnob wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:15 pm
I carry my knife in my pocket in case I need to cut something.
Radical! :p
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

90 % of the time (that is 90 % of the time I am awake...) right front pocket. Biggest size I am comfortable to carry there: Endura 4. Anything longer (or even a bit shorter when having a deep carry clip) reaches to deep in the pocket which is not ideal when riding a bicycle or doing higher steps when mountain hiking (could even push the knife out of the pocket).
Since I normally have nothing else in the rfp, widefolders (Manix 2 LW...) don´t bother me, just if they get to long. As a matter of fact I found: Wide, but not too long folders with a large footprint that are on the other hand very light (again Manix 2 LW) are the most comfortable and stable to carry.

Back pocket does not work for me with the larger sized knives I tend to carry: I have an old back injury, and when sitting for a longer period of time with a larger folder in the back pocket I sit a bit less "natural" and my back does not get better by that...

IWB just if I have to, for example in running shorts that have no or just very thin and floppy pockets, and I want to have the knife really secure.
In my day to day life IWB just does not work for me: Awkward to access and put back the knife when wearing several layers untucked and maybe a hip bag

As soon as I am wearing a pack that has some secure kind of front (and by that quick to access) pocket, I tend to put my folder there when mountaineering and hiking, since I once lost an Endura out of my front pocket in the mountains
In mountain pants that feature a zippered front pocket the knife gets thrown in there, mostly it is the Chaparral then.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

All summer, I’ve just been wearing cargo shorts every day because the pandemic has made it unnecessary for me to wear anything more formal, and it’s tough to beat the ease of deployment of having a Military in the cargo pocket.

Gent’s knives go clipless in the right rear pocket. Unless I’m wearing a suit, and then it goes in the breast pocket of the jacket.

In jeans, I typically go with my Mantra2 or PM2 clipped to the right rear pocket, and a gent’s knife in the watch pocket.

In pocketless pants, like pajamas or swim trunks, a Dragonfly2 clipped to the waistband.

When a knife gets worn down, I’ll demote it to a drawer in the house, or to an armrest/glove box in one of the cars, or a backpack, etc. I think it’s good just to have knives all over the place, like pens.