Best "work knives"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Best "work knives"?

Post by Albatross »

"Work knives" is not meant to describe knives strictly used at your job, but it is meant to describe knives used at home, in a shop, or outside (yard work, camping etc) as well.

I've tried most of the Seki models and most of the Golden models, looking for what fits me and my needs best, and I think I've found the two best, in my opinion, "work knives": the Manix 2 and Endura 4.

The ZDP-189 Endura 4 has been my dedicated cardboard processing knife for a while, and honestly, I haven't found another knife that works as well or feels as good,(versatility, maneuverability, power) for the intended task, as the Endura. I dont like it for "edc"(opening packages, food prep, etc.) use. I also don't like that acronym, but I don't have a less millennial term to use.

The Manix 2 is like a Shaman that cuts well, with a slightly less comfortable handle, due to less rounded scales. Sure, it has a comparatively thinner blade, but I've yet to snap one, and it's that thinner blade that makes this a better cutter than the Shaman. It works well for cardboard, blister packs, zip ties, yard work, home improvements, and everything else. The Manix does work for edc uses, but I've found that the PM2, Para 3, and Delica 4 have more versatile blade shapes, that just work better for edc. The Manix 2 is a jack of all trades, so it won't blow anyone away with just casual use. The hump doesn't get in the way at all, so it's quite easy to find a comfortable grip, or even an efficient cutting grip.

So what are the "work knives" you all prefer and why? Have you tried a lot of models to find your preferred model(s)?
legOFwhat?

Re: Best "work knives"?

Post by legOFwhat? »

For me it's the MuleTeam. It's basically a Manix2 that doesn't fold! DF2 HB or Spyderhawk are my down and dirty workers as well.

I turned the Manix in the last pic just to show what was under :)
Last edited by legOFwhat? on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Red

Post by Red »

I am a big lover of the Salt SE Dragonfly. I work in a saltwater environment and cut alot of fuel lines, livewell and bilge plumbing lines etc., in extremely confined/cramped quarters so the size and the serrations, not to mention the corrosion resistance is just awesome for me. Its in my pocket everyday but primarily paired with something bigger like a PM2 etc., on weekends.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Red wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 am
I am a big lover of the Salt SE Dragonfly. I work in a saltwater environment and cut alot of fuel lines, livewell and bilge plumbing lines etc., in extremely confined/cramped quarters so the size and the serrations, not to mention the corrosion resistance is just awesome for me. Its in my pocket everyday but primarily paired with something bigger like a PM2 etc., on weekends.
This is becoming true for me... but for years the salt line has been my work knife. The SE pac salt specifically.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

I'm hoping for a SE Dragonfly
Wharny. I feel like that will be a perfect work knife. Once I get a k390 D'fly, that'll be my go to work knife.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The ZDP189 Dragonfly is probably my main ‘work knife’ when I’m at work. Sometimes I’ll change it up to the K390 Urban, depending on the kind of work I’m doing.

At home and for general yard use, the SE Pac Salt is usually what I reach for.

The HAP40 Wharny Delica gets used for all of these roles too.

And the SE Gin-1 UKPK is a great little work knife.

If we’re just talking working with plants, or in the garden, or lopping off overgrown theny vines when walking in the bush, then it’s hard to beat the SE Tasman.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would agree with this assessment. i've found my manix 2 lw and se pac salt to be a perfect pairing to tackle pretty much anything i could ever need a knife for.

with my growing love of se and the compression lock, i ordered a se caribbean sheepsfoot. the hope is it will marry my favorite parts of the manix, pac salt, and yojimbo, which are my favorite three knives to carry and use.

i will say though... i've seen a lot of talk here about using spydercos for cutting down boxes, and i've even participated in some of that talk, but seriously nothing beats a utility knife for this kind of work. i just tested this out again for myself using my gerber prybrid. it's not exactly an ergonomic utility knife, but it cuts down boxes so much faster than any pocket knife i have.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Right at this time I have two plain edged EDCs I've been rotating for the past month. They are the M390 Military model and one of my Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob models.

Now I also carry a serrated companion blade almost everyday. This past week I've either used my older VG-10 SE Spyderhawk or my old dependable ATS-55 Stainless Handled RESCUE model.

If I were confined to only one folder it would be one of my C-44 Dyad models. And I do use one of them on occasions.

If I was restricted to a smaller PE blade I would go with one of my PARA2 models.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean. Similar blade thickness as a Manix 2 but with much more neutral handle ergonomics to accommodate bigger hands and gloves. Being rust proof also makes it far lower maintenance.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I use my shaman a lot. Probably my #1 spyderco at this point. No, not as slicey as a Manix or pm2, but more comfortable (to me) and it can be used more effectively for light chopping due to the weight.

I like the Manix 2 xl as well over the regular manix. Such an amazing knife!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Really the "work knife" that gets the most use in the garage and in the yard is a Stanley utility knife. I have one in every toolbox and a few more in drawers around the house. Most have PE blades but I keep one loaded with SE blades.

For Spyderco, it used to be a first-generation (154CM hollow grind) Manix 2. But now it's a Byrd Raven 2.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 am
i would agree with this assessment. i've found my manix 2 lw and se pac salt to be a perfect pairing to tackle pretty much anything i could ever need a knife for.

with my growing love of se and the compression lock, i ordered a se caribbean sheepsfoot. the hope is it will marry my favorite parts of the manix, pac salt, and yojimbo, which are my favorite three knives to carry and use.

i will say though... i've seen a lot of talk here about using spydercos for cutting down boxes, and i've even participated in some of that talk, but seriously nothing beats a utility knife for this kind of work. i just tested this out again for myself using my gerber prybrid. it's not exactly an ergonomic utility knife, but it cuts down boxes so much faster than any pocket knife i have.

I'm glad to see someone else has the courage to admit this on a Spyderco forum. Lol. When I first got into Spyderco knives I wanted to use them for everything and searched high and low for a great cardboard slicer. I get packages daily and break them down into smaller sections for recycling so I cut a lot of cardboard each week. I've tried just about every popular model out there and nothing comes even close to a 99 cent utility knife and Stanley Carbide blades. They are thin and slicey, plenty tough, stay sharp for an insane amount of time, and cost less than $0.40 per blade. I feel like a lot of it also has to do with the angle you can get on the blade since your hand is so close to the blade tip. Something you can't really do with any folder. That leverage combined with a thin blade just blasts through cardboard like no other folder or fixed blade I've tried.

I know people here like using Spydies to cut down cardboard, but I am curious how many genuinely believe they work better than a utility knife for this task? And if so, what model of Spydie?

As to the OP's question, I agree with others on the Endura, SE Pacific Salt 2, and Spyderhawk. The Spyderhawk really needs to come back as a production Spyderhawk 2 Salt with the Pac Salt 2 handle. I use my Orange VG-10 Endura the most as a work knife. I'm going to pick up a Police LW, K390 Endura, Wharnie Endura, and an Endela as well at some point in the future, all of which will go into the work knife rotation.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cutting boxes easily depends a lot on how you're doing it too. If you're just breaking it down for trash or whatever and you're not concerned about the way it's being cut, try angling the blade 45 degrees to the board. When you try to cut it straight at 90 degrees to the board even the thinnest Spyderco is going to wedge like a door stop. That's where a utility blade shines with how thin it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Does anyone use the Spyderco Worker as a work knife? I have been using the Waterway for fish work, Pd#1 Mule for knot tying work, Para 3 Spy27 for wood work(hotdog sticks) and the Tenacious is getting lonely. If I needed a knife for work I would like the employer to provide it. My knife collection is really just hobby support tools. It is interesting seeing the choices and reasoning for work knives.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:33 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 am

I'm glad to see someone else has the courage to admit this on a Spyderco forum. Lol. When I first got into Spyderco knives I wanted to use them for everything and searched high and low for a great cardboard slicer. I get packages daily and break them down into smaller sections for recycling so I cut a lot of cardboard each week. I've tried just about every popular model out there and nothing comes even close to a 99 cent utility knife and Stanley Carbide blades. They are thin and slicey, plenty tough, stay sharp for an insane amount of time, and cost less than $0.40 per blade. I feel like a lot of it also has to do with the angle you can get on the blade since your hand is so close to the blade tip. Something you can't really do with any folder. That leverage combined with a thin blade just blasts through cardboard like no other folder or fixed blade I've tried.

I know people here like using Spydies to cut down cardboard, but I am curious how many genuinely believe they work better than a utility knife for this task? And if so, what model of Spydie?

As to the OP's question, I agree with others on the Endura, SE Pacific Salt 2, and Spyderhawk. The Spyderhawk really needs to come back as a production Spyderhawk 2 Salt with the Pac Salt 2 handle. I use my Orange VG-10 Endura the most as a work knife. I'm going to pick up a Police LW, K390 Endura, Wharnie Endura, and an Endela as well at some point in the future, all of which will go into the work knife rotation.
For me, it's not necessarily the case that a Spyderco cuts better than a utility knife, it's more about comfort, extra reach, the ability to pry glued cardboard apart, and the option to use it for something else if I need to. I have utility knives, but rarely use them. To me, utility knives are like cauliflower rice: sounds good in theory, but ends up leaving a bad taste. I'll shamelessly admit that I feel bored using utility knives, whereas an actual knife can be more enjoyable to use, even if it's not the ideal tool for the job.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

For me, it's not necessarily the case that a Spyderco cuts better than a utility knife, it's more about comfort, extra reach, the ability to pry glued cardboard apart, and the option to use it for something else if I need to. I have utility knives, but rarely use them. To me, utility knives are like cauliflower rice: sounds good in theory, but ends up leaving a bad taste. I'll shamelessly admit that I feel bored using utility knives, whereas an actual knife can be more enjoyable to use, even if it's not the ideal tool for the job.

Yeah, I always have a Spyderco on me, even if I am using the utility knife, so I can break that out if needed. But I just keep a few utility knives next to my recycling bin to break down the cardboard quickly and easily. I get your point about using a Spyderco being more enjoyable than a cheap utility knife, but after trying every Spyderco and fixed blade under the sun for cardboard, getting them wedged in there constantly is not nearly as enjoyable as blasting them up with a good utility blade! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Can’t beat a Delica SE wharncliffe for box cutting. But really one of the many Spyderco’s i own is a work knife At some point on rotation.

Try to use a knife for a few months at a time nowadays. Camo Para 3 is it at the moment.

Plain old Delica was before but had to lend that to a work mate that lost his PM2. Couldn’t have him go Spydercoless until he replaces it.......
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 am
I think I've found the two best, in my opinion, "work knives": the Manix 2 and Endura
The Manix 2 LW for sure. It fits the hand just right, frcp is crazy grippy, it's narrow enough to discretely fit a pocket, the wire clip is butter smooth, and it operates one-handed with ease. The biggest question should be what flavor? I haven't tasted them all, but REX 45 is my favorite. As perfect as the LW is, the added weight and cost of the G10 seems pointless.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:02 am
Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

Yeah, I always have a Spyderco on me, even if I am using the utility knife, so I can break that out if needed. But I just keep a few utility knives next to my recycling bin to break down the cardboard quickly and easily. I get your point about using a Spyderco being more enjoyable than a cheap utility knife, but after trying every Spyderco and fixed blade under the sun for cardboard, getting them wedged in there constantly is not nearly as enjoyable as blasting them up with a good utility blade! :D
It's only been a handful of times that I've had my knife bind up in cardboard. Certain types will pose an issue for sure, but 99% of the time I'm not cutting those types. Things like Amazon boxes or cereal boxes, practically split apart with a regular folding pocket knife. I can't see any benefit to using a utility knife for the cardboard I cut up. Even if cost were calculated, I would wager that over time, an actual knife (as opposed to a utility blade) wouldn't be much more of an investment, or maybe it wouldn't be more of an investment at all. With blade length, the amount of sharpenings a blade can support, and durability overall, I'm not convinced there's enough of an upside to a utility blade. I used them extensively for years, but found that there were pros and cons to knives and utility blades. I was comfortable with the tradeoff I made.

If for some reason I begin to run into more stubborn cardboard, I'm certainly not opposed to using something more suited for the job.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i found my manix was having a more difficult time with cardboard than my pac salt. i think it's the hollow grind on the pac salt leaving less surface area in contact with the cardboard. it also heated up less than the manix did, which would seem to confirm the less friction idea.

no doubt i will continue to carry a spyderco on me, but it's so much better to use a utility knife for certain tasks. that gerber prybrid is multifunctional, cheap, and easy to carry in my bag for when i want to do something that will cause unnecessary wear or damage to my nicer knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C