Astute: The Little Big Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rybu0305

Astute: The Little Big Knife

Post by rybu0305 »

I bought an Astute on a whim because I liked the design. It looked like it had a lot of cutting edge and looked much bigger in the pictures than it actually is. After receiving this knife and using it for various tasks in the kitchen and in the field, I am impressed! Spyderco hit a home run with this knife I just hope we will someday see it in other steels and handle materials.

The cutting edge is longer than a Manix, Stretch, and I'm sure many other knifes that have larger profiles. I only had those two to compare. For such a small package you get great ergonomics and cutting edge. There is no makers mark, do we know who designed it?

I have coined this knife my "Little Big Knife" because of the attributes outlines above. I don't normally go for the Spyderco budget knives but the Astute is worth every penny.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
SG89

Re: Astute: The Little Big Knife

Post by SG89 »

I believe it was designed by Gabor Szakonyi, he also designed the Hungarian. The Astute is a great example of how well that particular Chinese factory can perform and I hope for more offerings from them.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yes, it's an excellent knife! Check out this thread on other first impressions:

viewtopic.php?t=87297
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Looking forward to mine, on the way. I really like the blade shape. The overall shape of the knife, is great looking. Love the low profile.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

I am thinking of picking one up for black Friday or maybe get it on seconds sale
Be stronger than your excuses
olywa

Post by olywa »

Love the lines, the blade profile and the liner lock. Maybe it will get the S35VN upgrade like the Tenacious at some point.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

olywa wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm
Love the lines, the blade profile and the liner lock. Maybe it will get the S35VN upgrade like the Tenacious at some point.
Sal said if the s35vn Tenacious does well then they'd consider giving the Astute the same upgrade. Fingers crossed!
- Julia

toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 pm
olywa wrote:
Sal said if the s35vn Tenacious does well then they'd consider giving the Astute the same upgrade. Fingers crossed!

I've got my toes crossed too :D :D
~andrew
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

toocool006 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 pm
olywa wrote:

I've got my toes crossed too :D :D
Me, too! I am looking forward to an upgraded Tenacious, but I'm planning to buy one largely to support the upgrade experiment, in hopes that the Astute comes next. I also really want an upgraded Bow River!
- Julia

gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Got mine in Wednesday, haven't checked it out much, Thanksgiving and home is still being repaired (Laura).
Put some time in it today and find I like it a lot, mostly because of the slim width, thin handle, low profile when closed, and nicely shaped drop point blade. With the firm detent, I can snap the blade out sharply.
Although, a "slow open" can be hard sometimes.
I can't test the cutting yet, the blade came in less than "Spyderco sharp" (first time). This is not a big issue, as I know 8Cr is easy to sharpen.
Looking for tomorrow. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white