Cruwear...where do I buy??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Cruwear...where do I buy??

Post by sal »

Hi Pearl,

That Cruwear Delica is a nice piece. I'm currently carrying one.

sal
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 pm
Hi Pearl,

That Cruwear Delica is a nice piece. I'm currently carrying one.

sal
I am super excited! I should be getting it soon!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 am
Some interesting history to share;

Many decades ago, being a knife Junky with fewer choices than we have today, I purchased a Gerber folding hunter with a steel called "Vascowear". I really liked the steel, probably still have the knife around somewhere. I contacted Crucible and asked about it. They said they had the chemistry and had made the earlier steel. They said they could make it for me. They called it Cruwear.

I ordered enough to make a "Mule Team" run. When the steel came in, they informed me that they had powdered it for me. I was surprised and pleased to have CPM Cruwear. (I like powdered steels). The Mule Team was very popular so we began using it on production knives. The knife afi's like it so we're planning more in the future.

More recently, another foundry began making it and calling it Z-Wear. We'll be using it as well.

sal
Cool story, thanks Sal. I always enjoy these history lessons. :cool: :)

I remember how excited I was to find one of the original CPM Cruwear Manixes on the secondary market, when they came out. It still surprises me, the keenness of the edge that Cruwear will take, with barely any effort. ;) :cool:

I’m guessing you must have experimented with SE in Cruwear? It seems like a steel that would work well in that edge configuration. :)

It’d be great to see Cruwear make it into the fixed blade lineup too. ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Blackpearl wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:36 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:26 pm
Blackpearl wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:10 pm
Bemo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:03 pm
Looking forward to trying a Z-wear. After reading Larrin's article on these steels, Z-wear sounds the most intriguing to me.
Me too! That’s the Shaman right? I don’t have z-wear.
Z-wear, CPM cru-wear, and PD#1 are analog steels - essentially the same chemically.
Thank you Julia! I want the Z-wear Shaman because of the scales too.
I have the Cruwear one, and the scales are perfect, imo. The Shaman is a beefy knife, but it's very comfortable even in smaller hands. I'd definitely recommend the zwear one coming out!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:11 am
sal wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 am
Some interesting history to share;

Many decades ago, being a knife Junky with fewer choices than we have today, I purchased a Gerber folding hunter with a steel called "Vascowear". I really liked the steel, probably still have the knife around somewhere. I contacted Crucible and asked about it. They said they had the chemistry and had made the earlier steel. They said they could make it for me. They called it Cruwear.

I ordered enough to make a "Mule Team" run. When the steel came in, they informed me that they had powdered it for me. I was surprised and pleased to have CPM Cruwear. (I like powdered steels). The Mule Team was very popular so we began using it on production knives. The knife afi's like it so we're planning more in the future.

More recently, another foundry began making it and calling it Z-Wear. We'll be using it as well.

sal
Cool story, thanks Sal. I always enjoy these history lessons. :cool: :)

I remember how excited I was to find one of the original CPM Cruwear Manixes on the secondary market, when they came out. It still surprises me, the keenness of the edge that Cruwear will take, with barely any effort. ;) :cool:

I’m guessing you must have experimented with SE in Cruwear? It seems like a steel that would work well in that edge configuration. :)

It’d be great to see Cruwear make it into the fixed blade lineup too. ;)
I'm pretty curious about that, too. I'd get pretty excited about a SE cruwear Manix - or even a CE one.
- Julia

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 am
I'm pretty curious about that, too. I'd get pretty excited about a SE cruwear Manix - or even a CE one.
Sure, they’d be pretty cool, Julia. :cool: :)

It’s kind of funny we haven’t seen SE or CE Cruwear yet, considering how popular the steel is.

With the hardness range Spyderco run it at, its good toughness and lower carbide volume relative to S30V, not to mention the fine edge it takes with minimal effort, I would have thought it would perform very well in SE.

I suspect the actual sales of SE knives in the wider knife buying market don’t actually reflect the ‘road to Damascus’ epiphanies many of us on this forum have had, regarding Spyderedges.

Also, sharpening is kind of becoming a lost art in the general edged tool using world, and I suppose the average user might be daunted by the idea of sharpening SE.

But that can all change!

I know you love your Manixes, but personally I daydream of a CE Cruwear Millie. ;)

A Lefty one, of course! :p :D
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 am
Sure, they’d be pretty cool, Julia. :cool: :)

It’s kind of funny we haven’t seen SE or CE Cruwear yet, considering how popular the steel is.

With the hardness range Spyderco run it at, its good toughness and lower carbide volume relative to S30V, not to mention the fine edge it takes with minimal effort, I would have thought it would perform very well in SE.

I suspect the actual sales of SE knives in the wider knife buying market don’t actually reflect the ‘road to Damascus’ epiphanies many of us on this forum have had, regarding Spyderedges.

Also, sharpening is kind of becoming a lost art in the general edged tool using world, and I suppose the average user might be daunted by the idea of sharpening SE.

But that can all change!

I know you love your Manixes, but personally I daydream of a CE Cruwear Millie. ;)

A Lefty one, of course! :p :D
I see now why the Military has such a devoted following- I hope everyone gets the SE one they want, and especially a SE in cruwear!
- Julia