knives that deserve an upgrade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Post by Evil D »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
Dlc and purple g10 would be killer on either of these models! I'd especially love a Sliverax material reboot, plus a CQI to strengthen the detent. Not sure why, but ever since I got a Sliverax, I've wanted a dlc and white g10 stormtrooper version of that (or the Smock).

White is so underutilized and if they actually did pair it with black blade and hardware I'd bet my whole knife collection they'd sell like absolute wildfire because even if someone didn't care for white it'll dye any color you want. We've had similar talks about why there aren't white FRN models like the Nasa Delica.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

I just want an LC200N Kapara. It's been asked for more times than I can count but I need it.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:13 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
Dlc and purple g10 would be killer on either of these models! I'd especially love a Sliverax material reboot, plus a CQI to strengthen the detent. Not sure why, but ever since I got a Sliverax, I've wanted a dlc and white g10 stormtrooper version of that (or the Smock).

White is so underutilized and if they actually did pair it with black blade and hardware I'd bet my whole knife collection they'd sell like absolute wildfire because even if someone didn't care for white it'll dye any color you want. We've had similar talks about why there aren't white FRN models like the Nasa Delica.
I agree the white is underutilized in both FRN and G-10. That being said, as someone who's carried and used a white FRN Delica extensively for work, the handles look dingy with only a light bit of handling. They are easy to clean, but it does detract some from the appeal. I will buy a stormtrooper coloration of just about any of my favorite patterns (Caly, Manix, Military)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 pm
Evil D wrote:
Kiwi 4 - should have been more upscale from the beginning, even the standard ZDP and carbon fiber that so many Seki models got in the past would have been better. Even a simple all stainless version would have been fancier than plain black slabs of G10.

Nilakka - though it did do a great job (I think) of representing the ethnic model it was designed for, I think the design could also really go a long way as a gent's knife and it really needed a non stainless carbon steel to really shine with that blade grind/edge.

Absolutely agree with all of these. ESPECIALLY the sliverax, I’m in love that design I just don’t vibe with the materials. Even just a 20cv plain g10 sliverax I think would sell much better than its current iteration. I mean look at the smooth g10 20cv smock, that thing disappeared almost immediately.
The Sliverax is a fabulous design (IMO) and I think it's spectacular knife even with the materials used. I have no problem with the S30V and CF/G10 laminate scales but I do have a lot of both. I think the CF/G10 makes a great scale (just the right amount of texture etc) but I sure wish they'd find another color to use. I'd love to see someone do an exclusive with the Sliverax. As much as I love the regular production Sliverax I couldn't pass up one with different steel and scales
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:13 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I agree the white is underutilized in both FRN and G-10. That being said, as someone who's carried and used a white FRN Delica extensively for work, the handles look dingy with only a light bit of handling. They are easy to clean, but it does detract some from the appeal. I will buy a stormtrooper coloration of just about any of my favorite patterns (Caly, Manix, Military)
I've got a stormtrooper Bradford Guardian 3, and the white handle does show every speck of dirt or grime. But as you said, the g10 is also quite easy to clean. I love it, and I'd love it on a slick unique folder like the Sliverax, or on core models like the Manix.

GP Knives did the black and white Guardian with 3v...maybe we need to petition them for some spydies in cruwear or 4v!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Kiwi 4. Definitely agree with David on this.

UKPK. How about damasteel / Ivory g10? :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bamalt1 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:20 pm
I just want an LC200N Kapara. It's been asked for more times than I can count but I need it.

This would be great, but for me it should have a liner- instead of comp.lock and preferably come in (textured) FRN... and SE... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:53 am
Bamalt1 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:20 pm

This would be great, but for me it should have a liner- instead of comp.lock and preferably come in (textured) FRN... and SE... :rolleyes:
Sounds like you want a military lol
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Deserving—as in needing—an upgrade?

The Urban’s pivot.

And maybe the weak detent on the Caribbean (CQI may have addressed this problem already).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PStone

Post by PStone »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:15 am

The Urban’s pivot.

And maybe the weak detent on the Caribbean (CQI may have addressed this problem already).
FYI-the pivot on the fluted CF Native is similar. D shaped pivot, but no metal reinforcement. And does round out. I learned the hard way.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:38 am
wrdwrght wrote:

The Urban’s pivot.

FYI-the pivot on the fluted CF Native is similar. D shaped pivot, but no metal reinforcement. And does round out. I learned the hard way.
Oh, don’t say that! I have one of those jewels.

...whew, just ran to check mine and hasten to say that the issue for me is not the possibility rounding out the D in the handle and consequently losing control side-to-side play. It is not having an opposing screw head that can tighten down the play. The fluted CF Native has an opposing screw head, which the Urban does not.

But, having had this jewel in my hand, I’m now thinking that the Kapara would have been so much better with the added grippiness of fluting. Maybe it “deserves” an upgrade...

kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

The Street Beat needs an upgrade to K390 or Rex45/Hap40 or SuperBlue or M4 or 4V.

The Military needs an upgrade to K390 or 4V...or throw a backlock on it and give it LC200N.

Also, just put smooth G10 or micarta and Cruwear on everything.
--Jeremy
PStone

Post by PStone »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:18 am
PStone wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

The Urban’s pivot.

...whew, just ran to check mine and hasten to say that the issue for me is not the possibility rounding out the D in the handle and consequently losing control side-to-side play. It is not having an opposing screw head that can tighten down the play. The fluted CF Native has an opposing screw head, which the Urban does not.

But, having had this jewel in my hand, I’m now thinking that the Kapara would have been so much better with the added grippiness of fluting. Maybe it “deserves” an upgrade...
I get it. So you can loosen your pivot no problem, but can only get it so tight before it starts spinning.

My problem was the opposite. Trying to loosen. There is locktite on the pivot, and even having an opposing screw head didn’t help since it’s 3 piece construction. It’s going to make a trip to the mothership for repairs. I hope they can help. I just don’t think $25 will do it.

Both situations, I think the improvement needed is no D shaped pivots without some metal reinforcement. Even if it is as minimal as one small ring pressed in like the clip thread inserts. I’d pay that extra cost. Would solve both our issues.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:52 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:18 am
PStone wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

The Urban’s pivot.

I get it. So you can loosen your pivot no problem, but can only get it so tight before it starts spinning.

My problem was the opposite. Trying to loosen. There is locktite on the pivot, and even having an opposing screw head didn’t help since it’s 3 piece construction. It’s going to make a trip to the mothership for repairs. I hope they can help. I just don’t think $25 will do it.

Both situations, I think the improvement needed is no D shaped pivots without some metal reinforcement. Even if it is as minimal as one small ring pressed in like the clip thread inserts. I’d pay that extra cost. Would solve both our issues.
I agree. Dump the D.

But if metal reinforcement proves too costly for the low-cost Urban, surely a new pivot with opposing screw heads would be lest costly.

Heck, most of us afflicted Urban-lovers would even buy the replacement pivot if Spyderco would just share the specs.

Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Kiwi 4, the handle had so many better options than slabs of G10.
While on this angle the Baby Horn, I think would have been better with upmarket scales.
Bow River needs a better steel
Kopa stainless just didn't fit in with the others and needed inlays.
Tenacious and Reslience with a steel upgrade but keep the current models and just do an option.
Stainless Cricket with some new option lighter weight handles.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

i say more mother of pearl and other natural materials to adorn classic models. like replace the paladium spyder on the centofante 3
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm
Street Beat and Street Bowie upgrade to S45VN
Or if we can go non-stainless, cruwear or 4v. And with a return to micarta handles!
Sounds good to me!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:57 am
LC200N Salt Upgrade List

Folders:
Micro Dyad
Baby Horn
Kapara
Ikuchi
Catcherman

Fixed:
Street Beat
I'm definitely with you on the Catcherman and STREETBEAT models. Now on the Dyad I would like to see a deluxe, high caliber version of the C-44 Dyad. It's another old school model I don't want to see die off.

I also would like to see a really ramped up version of the JD Smith model.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:02 pm
Now on the Dyad I would like to see a deluxe, high caliber version of the C-44 Dyad. It's another old school model I don't want to see die off.

I also would like to see a really ramped up version of the JD Smith model.
[/quote]

How about a Micro Dyad Slip it with MOP handles?