knives that deserve an upgrade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Abyss_Fish
Member
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:23 pm

knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Abyss_Fish » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 am

So I have some custom scales for my watu in the mail, and in my opinion this makes the knife fully premium. A fancy boy. And I realized there are a few other knives in the lineup that badly deserve the "premium materials" treatment.

I think this could be a whole lineup of standardized upgrades, like the salt series or the s90v and cf series. Think of it as the "premium series", 20cv and micarta...
THE MAIN CONTENDERS
--the ikuchi, high performance cutting in an easy to carry package.
--the kapara, gorgeous and ergonomic knife with a unique negative edge angle.

there's been a lot of talk of new models, but to be honest I think the lineup is fine, we just need some upgrades :)
what models do y'all think could be in this "premium series"? or what materials would you like to see in this series?
I require more lc200n and thinner grinds

Current collection: Watu (almost back from mods!), Spydiechef, Native G10 salt, Waterway, K390 Ladybug, Caribbean

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Pancake » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:16 am

S90V Bow River
But that will never happen. No chance to have S90V in China, and I am sure Sal mentioned that he is not going to have the same model made in two factories.

So....comeback of Southfork?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Waterway

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby xceptnl » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am

Pancake wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:16 am
S90V Bow River
But that will never happen. No chance to have S90V in China, and I am sure Sal mentioned that he is not going to have the same model made in two factories.

So....comeback of Southfork?
I'd be pleased with the Bow River in CPM154 using Phil's heat treat.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6672
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Wartstein » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:26 am

- Micarta Chaparral
- (Pakka or whatever-)wood Manix
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 7121
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Spydergirl88 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:46 am

Pakkawood Lil Native and Manix 2

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:52 am

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Pancake » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:54 am

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am

I'd be pleased with the Bow River in CPM154 using Phil's heat treat.
More Phil Wilson desing!!! moar!!!
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
On belt: Waterway

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3078
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Sumdumguy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:57 am

LC200N Salt Upgrade List

Folders:
Micro Dyad
Baby Horn
Kapara
Ikuchi
Catcherman

Fixed:
Street Beat

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4173
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby steelcity16 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:59 am

As my signature says.... :D

A Military, Native, Chap, GB1/2, Police, Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly would be a good start!
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
Dazen
Member
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Texas U.S.A. Earth

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Dazen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Solid CF Chaparral (Plain or Marbled)

Peel-Ply CF Caribbean with the same scale details

Any SLIPIT (we need a premium slip joint; CF, Ti or Micarta with a nice steel)

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22074
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Evil D » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Kiwi 4 - should have been more upscale from the beginning, even the standard ZDP and carbon fiber that so many Seki models got in the past would have been better. Even a simple all stainless version would have been fancier than plain black slabs of G10.

Nilakka - though it did do a great job (I think) of representing the ethnic model it was designed for, I think the design could also really go a long way as a gent's knife and it really needed a non stainless carbon steel to really shine with that blade grind/edge.

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Abyss_Fish
Member
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Abyss_Fish » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 pm

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm
Kiwi 4 - should have been more upscale from the beginning, even the standard ZDP and carbon fiber that so many Seki models got in the past would have been better. Even a simple all stainless version would have been fancier than plain black slabs of G10.

Nilakka - though it did do a great job (I think) of representing the ethnic model it was designed for, I think the design could also really go a long way as a gent's knife and it really needed a non stainless carbon steel to really shine with that blade grind/edge.

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
Absolutely agree with all of these. ESPECIALLY the sliverax, I’m in love that design I just don’t vibe with the materials. Even just a 20cv plain g10 sliverax I think would sell much better than its current iteration. I mean look at the smooth g10 20cv smock, that thing disappeared almost immediately.
I require more lc200n and thinner grinds

Current collection: Watu (almost back from mods!), Spydiechef, Native G10 salt, Waterway, K390 Ladybug, Caribbean

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby VooDooChild » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:51 pm

Bring on a Centofante 5
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

robis1923
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: Evergreen

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby robis1923 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:37 pm

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm
Kiwi 4 - should have been more upscale from the beginning, even the standard ZDP and carbon fiber that so many Seki models got in the past would have been better. Even a simple all stainless version would have been fancier than plain black slabs of G10.

Nilakka - though it did do a great job (I think) of representing the ethnic model it was designed for, I think the design could also really go a long way as a gent's knife and it really needed a non stainless carbon steel to really shine with that blade grind/edge.

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
A Caribbean with a new scale would be great. There are plenty of brightly colored, durable options that'd be more appealing than the current iterations.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4527
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby TomAiello » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Pakkawood Rex-45 Manix 2. :)

Failing that I'm definitely happy with my TeroTuf Rex-45 Manix 2, though.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3078
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Sumdumguy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:47 pm

robis1923 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:37 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm
Kiwi 4 - should have been more upscale from the beginning, even the standard ZDP and carbon fiber that so many Seki models got in the past would have been better. Even a simple all stainless version would have been fancier than plain black slabs of G10.

Nilakka - though it did do a great job (I think) of representing the ethnic model it was designed for, I think the design could also really go a long way as a gent's knife and it really needed a non stainless carbon steel to really shine with that blade grind/edge.

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
A Caribbean with a new scale would be great. There are plenty of brightly colored, durable options that'd be more appealing than the current iterations.
The purple from that PM2 would be epic. Even layered with black.

User avatar
Naperville
Member
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 am
Location: Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby Naperville » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Street Beat and Street Bowie upgrade to S45VN
Spyderco Collection: Military (S110V), Bob Lum Darn Dao(CPM-154), Yojimbo 2 (1 in S30V & 2 in 20CV), Sustain(20CV), Native 5(Maxamet), Jumpmaster 2(H1), Province(4V). SHORT LIST: CF Shaman(S90V), Native Chief, Street Bowie(4V at 60+ HRC), Nightstick, Yojumbo.

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3331
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby abbazaba » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:39 pm

I guess I already got my wish with the Seki K390 run! :)

If I'm dreaming I guess my "premium" Taichung line would be DLC M4, that sweet CF they already use, and blacked out hardware on all models possible.

Others?

I know it's early, but the Astute would already get my vote for any kind of upgrade.

Bolstered Pakkawood Manbug seems likely.

Linerless CF PM2 LW, blacked out :)

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3232
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby JuPaul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:49 pm

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am
Pancake wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:16 am
S90V Bow River
But that will never happen. No chance to have S90V in China, and I am sure Sal mentioned that he is not going to have the same model made in two factories.

So....comeback of Southfork?
I'd be pleased with the Bow River in CPM154 using Phil's heat treat.
+1. With micarta handles. Could that happen in China??
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3232
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby JuPaul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm
Street Beat and Street Bowie upgrade to S45VN
Or if we can go non-stainless, cruwear or 4v. And with a return to micarta handles!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3232
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: knives that deserve an upgrade

Postby JuPaul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm

Sliverax - this knife is already pretty slick but it's ripe for sprint options. It can work just as well as a user as it does a gent's knife. I think this one would have been really extra cool in the jade/M4 combo.

Caribbean - because I'm a broken record and I can't make a post without mentioning this knife, and because it seems blatantly obvious that almost any variation on the handle color would sell well, or even carbon fiber. You can do anything with the scales and it'll still function as a Salt while also appealing more to the general EDC crowd.
Dlc and purple g10 would be killer on either of these models! I'd especially love a Sliverax material reboot, plus a CQI to strengthen the detent. Not sure why, but ever since I got a Sliverax, I've wanted a dlc and white g10 stormtrooper version of that (or the Smock).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, Bill1170, Google [Bot], Igi964, Largeindmargin, Menipo, skeeg11, Xplorer and 34 guests