What do you want in a new Salt knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: What do you want in a new Salt knife?

Post by Bemo »

I've recently become enamored with the Stretch models and can't help but think they would be almost perfect in SE LC200N. In my opinion better ergo's than the Endela (although I'm enjoying that). Oh, and toxic green would be fantastic.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Backlock Military in LC200N - SE, PE and CE

ETA - Also, LC200N Street Beat, FRN handle, no coating
--Jeremy
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

What would really float my boat is a Salt 2 with LC 200 in SE. Very little to change. Other than that, I'm happy with my Salts.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:36 pm
Why hasn't the Manix2 FRN LW in LC200n not happened yet? :)

I'd love a PM2 LW in LC200n, but I guessing that's a few years out. My linerless PM2 Backlock "skinny" idea hasn't gained any traction but I'd love that as well (2.5mm or 3mm stock).

Regardless, I'd like to see some more LC options in popular models.

Wasn´t there some talk about that it would be difficult to make the CBBL totally corrosion resistent (especially the spring?)? - Can´t recall excactly anymore...

Anyway, though I personally don´t need a completely rustproof Manix 2 LW, I think it´d be cool and even more that this model should get more variants in general, Salt or not!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:05 am
As a totally new design I'd like to see a double bladed FRN Salt folder in Pac Salt size , featuring an SE blade and, yes, a saw (very unusual, I know...)

(Edit: you might also want to have a look at this new poll: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87504 )

Quoting my own previous post here ;), I want to elaborate a bit more on the idea of a double bladed Salt folder, featuring an SE (or perhaps comboedge) blade and a saw.
I did a poll once on a Dyad style folder in this configuration (viewtopic.php?t=82630), and so I know already that there is not a lot, but still a bit interest for such a design.
Perhaps not all are aware of: Spyderco actually once offered a small saw-folder, and it blade looks very usefull (and actually pretty long compared to SAK or leatherman saws), see HERE: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=51

I know, this would be kind of a niche product for special occasions, but as a totally rustproof bushcraft-, outdoor-, woodscraft tool still cool to have, right?! It would also be a good emergency tool for such occasions (Think of sawing branches for making walking sticks, makeshift crutches, splints, shelter-building...)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:18 am
sawing branches for making walking sticks
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
:p :p

... and as always: An honor to get bloked! ;)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:05 am
Similarly, a Stretch II with a blade like that would also put a smile on my face. Make the blade straight spined and the smile would go ear to ear. :D
The single most intriguing idea, one I had not considered before, and now one I think I need! Maybe make a yellow Salt version, and a version in another color, same construction, but not aimed at the Salt market.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Had I not developed a phobia of sharks.
Hey, the sharks have phobias up my way Bloke
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Red

Post by Red »

Great thread, very cool. I am a huge fan of the Salt line. A military or PM2 combo edge Salt would be a grail Spyderco for me.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Red wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:10 am
Great thread, very cool. I am a huge fan of the Salt line. A military or PM2 combo edge Salt would be a grail Spyderco for me.

Pic from google or somewhere a while back....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Red

Post by Red »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:15 am
Red wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:10 am

Pic from google or somewhere a while back....
Oh wow, yup thats awesomeness right there.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 pm
Then we had galvanic reaction to the two steels being next to each other, even LC to LC.
sal
This is very interesting. I didn’t realize that galvanic corrosion could happen between identical metals.

I appreciate all of the research and development that Spyderco has put into the Salt line. Living in Hawaii for the better part of a decade made me understand what salt water could do to a “stainless” knife. When I bought my Salt 1 (when it was first released), it immediately rendered all of my dive knives obsolete. :)
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:14 am
Bloke wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Hey Warstein,

That's a great local line. We've been 'Bloked" . :D

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Takuan wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:11 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 pm
Then we had galvanic reaction to the two steels being next to each other, even LC to LC.
sal
This is very interesting. I didn’t realize that galvanic corrosion could happen between identical metals.

I appreciate all of the research and development that Spyderco has put into the Salt line. Living in Hawaii for the better part of a decade made me understand what salt water could do to a “stainless” knife. When I bought my Salt 1 (when it was first released), it immediately rendered all of my dive knives obsolete. :)

Hey Takuan,

We found a organism in Hawaii that can live on a steel blade that looks like rust. As long as the blade was wet, it looked to be rusty. Let it dry and the "rust" dried up and fell off. Some of this "learning curve" is surprising.

It was all pf the time we spent in Hawaii that pushed Gail and I to try to develop rust proof blades that had a good turn of performance. We dove the Big Island quite a bit back then and we tested numerous materials.

What Island do you live on?

sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

There is a Salt 2 that comes with a black H1 blade, and black handle. It would be nice to have a Fish Hunter with those attributes.

It would also be nice to have a Fish Hunter that had a 5 inch SE blade.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Why does it have to be a knife?

How about a Pacific Salt 2 or Police size woodsaw. As H1 performs so well serrated, I suspect a woodsaw would be amazing.

Opinel makes a dedicated woodsaw in this size.
https://knifeworks.com/opinel-folding-s ... le-651266/

Dedicated Spyderco Salt woodsaw would be a great tool for bushcraft, survival kits (especially paddling), and hunting if it could tackle bone too.

For me personally, in some cases I'd leave the fixed blade at home when heading to the woods if I could clip a woodsaw to my pocket.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Lance, if we’re talking about an imaginary ‘ideal Salt’, personally I’d like a steel which has a little more strength than LC200N and H1 in those thin SE edges.

Not a great deal more, just so it behaves a bit more like VG10, or AEB-L.

I find my thinly reground PE Caribbean and my H1 knives tend to lose edge retention primarily by minor rolling in my uses.

Designwise, I’m pretty happy with the current offerings.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:50 pm
Hey Takuan,

We found a organism in Hawaii that can live on a steel blade that looks like rust. As long as the blade was wet, it looked to be rusty. Let it dry and the "rust" dried up and fell off. Some of this "learning curve" is surprising.

It was all pf the time we spent in Hawaii that pushed Gail and I to try to develop rust proof blades that had a good turn of performance. We dove the Big Island quite a bit back then and we tested numerous materials.

What Island do you live on?

sal
My wife and I used to live on O‘ahu, but we left after I finished my Ph.D. in comparative philosophy at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa. These days, I’m in Missouri, but I get back to the islands every couple of years for academic conferences and martial arts training. I’m pleased to hear that Hawai‘i helped inspire the creation of the Salt series. Mahalo to you and Gail for making such an excellent line of knives!
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:14 am
Bloke wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Hey Warstein,

That's a great local line. We've been 'Bloked" . :D

sal

Hi Sal,

Yes, it´s a cool line and the humor Bloke brings to the forum certainly deserves a dedicated term! :)
But I can´t take credit for coming up with that phrase, just took it from someone elses post.. ;)