What do you want in a new Salt knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

What do you want in a new Salt knife?

Post by Surfingringo »

If Spyderco were designing a new Salt knife and you were given a chance to offer some input, what would you ask for? Just curious. :)
Evil D

Re: What do you want in a new Salt knife?

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to see Salt variations of existing models...a Military would be an awesome start.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As a totally new design I'd like to see a double bladed FRN Salt folder in Pac Salt size , featuring an SE blade and, yes, a saw (very unusual, I know...)

Concerning new variants of existing models:
1.) "Your" Siren in SE (and FRN)
2.) Pac Salt SE in ffg
3.) Backlock Caribbean
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would also like to see a Military model. PE and SE in LC200N. Aside from that, I would like to see maybe a Ladybug or Dragonfly salt hawkbill with FFG using the same steel and edge configuration as above.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

"... asking for a friend." ;)

For me, my needs are pretty well covered by the current lineup of Salt knives, so anything new I'd like would probably just be gimmicky features. Or a knife designed for a very specific task. Whether I need the knife for that task or not is irrelevant, sometimes I just like the novelty of the design. Just as examples, knives like the Fish Hunter or Whale Rescue Blade.
Last edited by Mushroom on Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Nick :bug-red
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

I'd like to see Salt variations of existing models...a Military would be an awesome start.
I second this motion^

It seems like the para 3 is the platform they’re using to test buyer feedback on new versions of that family, evidenced by the para 3 LW. If I had to guess which model gets the salt treatment first my money is on the para 3.
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Liners make it more difficult to make a knife truly rust proof. One of many reasons that I went with a backlock on the Siren. More metal pieces, more dissimilar metal contact points, more tight spaces to trap liquid or corrosive material. It’s certainly not impossible to make a liner lock or compression lock knife that is worthy of the Salt moniker and I’m not opposed to using those locks on a Salt knife but the backlock is hard to beat for a Salt knife IMHO.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Complete LC200N construction on everything! Haha
Also, liners are just better. Look to the Caribbean and it's lack of corrosion.

Seriously though, I want a solid LC200N Micro Dyad, with some sort of inlay(mammoth to signify how long it will last?) :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Manix back lock salt with an LC200N blade.

Folding fillet knife with a BD1N blade and LC200N or H1. Even though BD1N isn't a salt steel, we still need some budget folding fillet knives.

Smaller fixed blades for edc, fishing, hunting, etc. Something between the ARK and the Waterway. 3-3.5" blade, micarta handle, or maybe bright colored G10, low profile blade (for maneuverability) and maybe an option for a leather sheath (for edc or hunting) with a standard offering of kydex or similar material.
Last edited by Albatross on Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I think everyone knows what I’m looking for :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87443
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Salt Southfork.... because... Southfork
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

FFG Spyderhawk in SE LC200N! :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87261
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
brj

Post by brj »

Another vote for the Military (LC200N blade & liner, Ti standoffs, lanyard tube, screws and clip, yellow G10). I'm saying 'liner' because pre-2004 Millies used to have only the one anyway (presentation side used to be a full G10 slab, still plenty strong in my experience).

If that fails to materialize :) , any FFG thin blade with a pointy tip will get my vote (regardless of lock, materials, colors).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not really something new, and technically not a Salt Series knife, but I'd ask for an Autonomy in LC200N with a PE FFG blade. Similarly, a Stretch II with a blade like that would also put a smile on my face. Make the blade straight spined and the smile would go ear to ear. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’d love to see the salt line take an aim at the camper’s kitchen. I know there is a culinary line, but I would like to see the poly handled knives be offered in an upgraded LC200N package with a simple sheath included. The ultimate camp kitchen knifes.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Toxic green

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have a fair range of Salts in a variety of sizes and blade shapes, mostly H1 and SE.

Like Vivi, I think your Siren (still my chief carry after my latest arrivals) and Sal’s SE Pacific Salt could easily cover all my folder requirements.

Would I “upgrade” my Siren to SE and have it be the only Spydie I’d ever need? Not unless the SE pattern changes to the rounding of the small points that Evil D has been advancing.

I would pay a higher price for an all-LC200N PE Military Model, less for it being a Salt than for its toughness and sharpening response. And I’d take it (like I would a Caribbean) in a “rounder“ SE, if offered.

I guess I’m saying I can’t imagine a Salt that could be much better than what I have, and you’re partly to blame. :p
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Something larger than the Pacific Salt, with a full flat grind, available in PE, SE and CE, with a large, well exposed opening hole. No heavier than 4.5oz. Lockback preferred.

I've said it many times, but if Spyderco put out something like a Police Salt I can't ever see that being topped.

I also liked the idea of small EDC fixed blades but the Swick has me covered on that end. Just patiently waiting for a release :)
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:58 am

This. A Semi-translucent Day Glow Neon Yellow G10 FFG LC200N Military Salt. FFG LC200N Endura, Endela, Delica, and Police LW Salts. A blacked out FFG LC200N Dragonfly Salt and Jester Salt. FFG LC200N Chap LW Salt. FFG LC200N SE Spyderhawk Salt

There are so many great models out there already to Saltify. Let's start there. How we haven't seen PM2, Para 3, and Military Salts yet is one of the greatest mysteries in Spydieville to me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Like many others, I'd like to see a Salt with a longer blade, so a Millie or a Police would be great. PE preferred because I don't have the means to sharpen SE, but I'll admit that a CE Salt Millie would be a great addition to the Spyder line-up.
Backlock or linerlock are ideal for me, because this'd be a knife requiring less finesse when closing.
My experience with comp locks is that they're much harder to close with gloves, though that doesn't stop the Shaman from being my daily carry.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage