What do you want in a new Salt knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: What do you want in a new Salt knife?

Post by xceptnl »

Facepalm.... can't believe I forgot to ask for a Catcherman. I would love one of these perhaps more than the Military option. The old MBS-26 FFG Catcherman model was a great knife with versatility from camp to kitchen. Not to mention you would be hard pressed to find another 5" bladed folding knife with ergos like the original.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

well if you insist...

--coarse orange g10 wharncliffe lc200n manix 2. (upgrade my work carry pls sal)
--plain edge matriarch 2 in lc200n. (basically just a gardening knife.)
--plain g10 sage salt in lc200n. (because I love thin boys and comp locks)
--uhhhh, lil native salt in lc200n? (because I love smol boys and comp locks)

basically just put lc200n and g10 on everything, that'll do it.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
benben

Post by benben »

Straight spined Stretch with fully serrated LC200N.

Maybe even with Lime Green FRN scales! :D

Sorry.......carrying my old Stretch today!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am
Facepalm.... can't believe I forgot to ask for a Catcherman. I would love one of these perhaps more than the Military option. The old MBS-26 FFG Catcherman model was a great knife with versatility from camp to kitchen. Not to mention you would be hard pressed to find another 5" bladed folding knife with ergos like the original.

I'd like to see an FFG LC200N Catcherman 2 Salt with updated handle. Bidirectional FRN, Ti Clip, Jimping, Boye Dent, the works. PE and SE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:02 am
xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am

I'd like to see an FFG LC200N Catcherman 2 Salt with updated handle. Bidirectional FRN, Ti Clip, Jimping, Boye Dent, the works. PE and SE.
Honestly, I would so welcome the return of the Catcherman in a thin ground FFG that I would buy it without even a clip.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
benben

Post by benben »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:53 am
well if you insist...

You maybe should get JD behind your wharncliffe Manix idea.....he has a way with the upper management ya know! ;) I’d buy that knife!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

benben wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:07 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:53 am
well if you insist...

You maybe should get JD behind your wharncliffe Manix idea.....he has a way with the upper management ya know! ;) I’d buy that knife!
It would be a spectacular working knife. I use a black coated s90v manix lw as my work knife. But unfortunately the frcp is a little slippery, the black coating makes it a little dangerous since it occasionally sorta disappears on carts or counters, plus even though the black coating HELPS with corrosion I still battle it on the lock interface and the ball bearing itself... and I love s90v but if I need to quickly repair my edge it's not really gonna happen.

COMEON JD, I NEEEEEEEED THIS
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I would like to see a new, heavily modified version of the Tusk. The current Tusk looks wonderful, but I haven’t purchased one yet because (A) it only carries tip-down (which is a problem for me), (B) it has a very short blade (2.38 in), and (C) it costs far more than I can afford. I’d like to see a Tusk 2 with the following features:

(1) Keep the LC200N blade steel and the general blade shape, but lengthen the blade to about 3.5 inches and offer it in both plain edge and serrated. This knife is designed for rope work, so serrations would be ideal.

(2) Put the ball bearing lock on the blade, not the marlinspike. If a marlinspike closes on my hand, I won’t lose any fingers. I own two David Boye Cobalt folders, both of which have non-locking marlinspikes, and I’ve never felt like I really needed a lock while untying stubborn knots with their spikes. I’d rather have the strong lock on the blade (which could be a back lock or compression lock instead).

(3) Change the handle material to FRN or G10 (preferably in a color that isn’t black). Titanium is expensive and slippery when wet. If the blade lock is changed as in #2 above, there won’t be a need for a titanium frame.

(4) Change the marlinspike material to titanium, H1, or LC200N.

(5) Make the clip a four-way clip for those of us who like tip-up carry.

I’m not disparaging the current Tusk. It looks like a great knife and its design is very clever. I’d just like to see some slightly different features.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Said this before and saying this again - Para 3 LW Salt. In LC200N.

The smallest amount of liner metal for the least risk of corrosion in a compression lock.

It would be a hit. Just saying.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

one of the current knives i'd really love to see in a salt version is the resilience. i understand that'll probably never happen, but the blade length and shape are so good for cutting up my kids' food and it would be awesome to have a similar blade in lc200n.

i've also longed for a manix salt, but i think the caribbean sufficiently covers that territory as well as the need specified above with the resilience.

between the caribbean, siren, and the native salt, i think most edc needs are covered. it would be nice though to see something smaller and thinner like the chaparral in lc200n. i'd also like to see lc200n enuffs in each of the available shapes.

one more thing that i know isn't popular... we need more salts available with coatings. a blacked out dragonfly salt would sell like crazy. i'd also love to see a dlc caribbean and/or native salt.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

A backlock caribbean with some other minor modifications would be awesome.

Lil native lightweight backlock salt serrated edge with jimping. I really want this.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
benben

Post by benben »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:51 pm
A backlock caribbean with some other minor modifications would be awesome.

Lil native lightweight backlock salt serrated edge with jimping. I really want this.
Love the Lil’ Native suggestion!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Why hasn't the Manix2 FRN LW in LC200n not happened yet? :)

I'd love a PM2 LW in LC200n, but I guessing that's a few years out. My linerless PM2 Backlock "skinny" idea hasn't gained any traction but I'd love that as well (2.5mm or 3mm stock).

Regardless, I'd like to see some more LC options in popular models.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Linerless H1 serrated makes me very happy. Orange or toxic green handles would be cool too, and black coated blades.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oh, and a compression lock would be the icing on the cake. A wire clip would be the decoration on the icing.
sal

Post by sal »

As Lance mentioned, liners on a Salt create a multitude of problems. These are fairly new materials for the knife industry and we are certainly learning about them the hard way. You mentioned the Caribbean, First we had to take apart 4800 knives and replace the stainless ball bearings with ceramic ball bearings and put them back together. Then we had galvanic reaction to the two steels being next to each other, even LC to LC.

Most folks don't know how really difficult it is to create and maintain the Salt series.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 pm
As Lance mentioned, liners on a Salt create a multitude of problems. These are fairly new materials for the knife industry and we are certainly learning about them the hard way. You mentioned the Caribbean, First we had to take apart 4800 knives and replace the stainless ball bearings with ceramic ball bearings and put them back together. Then we had galvanic reaction to the two steels being next to each other, even LC to LC.

Most folks don't know how really difficult it is to create and maintain the Salt series.

sal
Respectfully,

While there may still be some corrosion, it's not that bad.

The amount of corrosion that formed on my Caribbean after being neglected and abused, was so minimal, that it was almost a non issue. The average knife user will never have an issue with it.

Of course, this is just one example. But, I have yet to see any Caribbeans with extreme corrosion, that I would consider unacceptable.

It all seems to be localized to the areas around the standoffs, or what I would attribute to surface contamination on the blade during manufacturing.

On mine, almost all of the "corrosion" wiped away with my finger.(more color, than actual corrosion). With minimal maintenance, it will outlast the user.

I would happily volunteer my services in abusing any test pieces, that need to be fleshed out. ;)
(Never hurts to try!)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would love a back lock liner less Gayle Bradley 2 in serrated LC200n with orange g10
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

Small drop point (like the Delica) on the Salt 2
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t swim or exercise with knives, wear them in my waist band and I don’t sweat at work so corrosion resistance isn’t a prerequisite in a pocket knife. The three Salt Series folders I currently own serve all my needs exceptionally well and I’d replace any I lost.

Had I not developed a phobia of sharks I’d have liked a dedicated H1 Abalone Knife with the Salt Series Yellow FRN scales and a well thought out sheath that could be strapped to calf or thigh or maybe attached to buoyancy vest.

As it goes if someone made said knife I’d buy a couple at least and gift them to friends who still dive for abs on the proviso they bought me a few more (abs) than they already do. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin