Spyderco kitchen knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blackpearl

Spyderco kitchen knives?

Post by Blackpearl »

Good morning all!

Now that I got a few Spyderco folders on the way to try I was wondering if you all could recommend some kitchen knives? I cook a lot but I never looked into a good knife before. I think a sharp capable knife could make slicing and dicing fun again. Maybe. Lol

Thank you!
Sumdumguy

Re: Spyderco kitchen knives?

Post by Sumdumguy »

The only one I have from Spyderco is the K11 Cook's knife. It's fantastic.

They have a new collaboration with Murray Carter. One set in BD1N and the other in clad Superblue.

I hear that the K08 Santoku is a great knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
carrot

Post by carrot »

The serrated K04 Utility 6.5" is loads of fun in the kitchen, particularly if you already have a chef's knife you are happy with.

A bit more traditional and all-rounder is probably the K08 Santoku which I have no practical experience with. I have used many a santoku though, and like them for their versatility. A santoku is my camp kitchen knife.

If budget allows, the new(ish) Murray Carter stuff is awesome. I handled them at SFO recently and really liked them. They're all patterned after similar categories of Japanese-style kitchen knives, so the model would really depend on how you like to work in the kitchen. The Itamae line have much better steel (CLADDED SUPER BLUE!) and more beautiful handles, while the Wakiita are high performance with less "flair." CTS-BD1N should be excellent in the kitchen.

I think the Gyuto is the default "best" choice if you only buy one, however not everybody likes to wield a 10" blade. If you do a lot of vegetable prep the Nakiri is a speedy chopper. The Bunka is a short-bladed all-rounder like the Santoku, but with a better tip, a good alternative to the Gyuto if you need to work in tighter spaces. The Funayaki might fit a similar role, but with more focus on meat/fish prep and less focus on vegetables and chopping.

The world of kitchen knives is vast. Choosing to stay Spyderco-only may save you money in the long run, and there's no stinkers in the lineup.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I recommend the Santoku.
Good size and ergos. Price is also nice.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:50 pm
The only one I have from Spyderco is the K11 Cook's knife. It's fantastic.

They have a new collaboration with Murray Carter. One set in BD1N and the other in clad Superblue.

I hear that the K08 Santoku is a great knife.
Thank you! I will look into the K08 Santoku!
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

carrot wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 pm
The serrated K04 Utility 6.5" is loads of fun in the kitchen, particularly if you already have a chef's knife you are happy with.

A bit more traditional and all-rounder is probably the K08 Santoku which I have no practical experience with. I have used many a santoku though, and like them for their versatility. A santoku is my camp kitchen knife.

If budget allows, the new(ish) Murray Carter stuff is awesome. I handled them at SFO recently and really liked them. They're all patterned after similar categories of Japanese-style kitchen knives, so the model would really depend on how you like to work in the kitchen. The Itamae line have much better steel (CLADDED SUPER BLUE!) and more beautiful handles, while the Wakiita are high performance with less "flair." CTS-BD1N should be excellent in the kitchen.

I think the Gyuto is the default "best" choice if you only buy one, however not everybody likes to wield a 10" blade. If you do a lot of vegetable prep the Nakiri is a speedy chopper. The Bunka is a short-bladed all-rounder like the Santoku, but with a better tip, a good alternative to the Gyuto if you need to work in tighter spaces. The Funayaki might fit a similar role, but with more focus on meat/fish prep and less focus on vegetables and chopping.

The world of kitchen knives is vast. Choosing to stay Spyderco-only may save you money in the long run, and there's no stinkers in the lineup.
Wow ok many knives to consider thank you! I have nothing decent so I’m excited to look into these. I do a lot of veggies prep as well as slicing (mostly) chicken breasts and some beef flanks etc... Hubby loves Cuban chicken and I just don’t have a good knife to butterfly the chicken breasts.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I grabbed a counter puppy and am pleased with it for a pairing style knife. its very affordable and not a chefs knife for chopping. I will be looking into some others come the holidays...
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Blackpearl wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:10 pm
Good morning all!

Now that I got a few Spyderco folders on the way to try I was wondering if you all could recommend some kitchen knives? I cook a lot but I never looked into a good knife before. I think a sharp capable knife could make slicing and dicing fun again. Maybe. Lol

Thank you!
You want fun slicing and dicing.

Spyderco Stuart Ackerman Sustain :D

Will last a lifetime and take a beating.

I have a lot of knives for the kitchen being a ex butcher, but think a good camp knife Like above is a great start for what you mention as a sharp capable knife.

Pinched a review from Knifecenter below

Favorite using knife
Love the lines, reminds me of a classic Mediterranean style knife. Long & lean, it is functionally somewhere between a kitchen knife & a dirk with some fillet dna thrown in. I also really like full pouch sheaths. I use it for kitchen duty at home and everything short of chopping in camp. $35 hatchet for that.It will slice tomatoes thin enough to see through. 20cv takes effort to sharpen, but it takes a scalpel edge. Holds a usable edge for a week long trip, no problem. Strop it occasionally. Use spyderco sharpener, works well. This is a great package for me, but is thin & not entirely forgiving. Some folks use knives in such a way that they require a 5mm spine & a hatchet edge grind or the blade is doomed. Not the knife for those guys. But it has taken over my kitchen & forestry service satchel.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Z-Cuts are also awesome.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I've got the Santoku. Its a great knife. I would absolutely recommend it. I use it 3-4 times a week. And its my favorite knife in the kitchen.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I would like it if Spyderco offered a standard European style chefs knife.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:55 pm
They did, kinda. It was the K12.

It was a bit over 7", so not a full 10" monster. But, it's close to what you're wanting.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Another voice for the Santoku as allrounder kitchen knife, I use it on daily base and as longtime vegetarian only for vegetables and fruits, so I have no experiance with meat.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
mixmaster

Post by mixmaster »

Ric wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:57 pm
I recommend the Santoku.
Good size and ergos. Price is also nice.
yeah that's a good one
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:04 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:55 pm
They did, kinda. It was the K12.

It was a bit over 7", so not a full 10" monster. But, it's close to what you're wanting.
Yeah I missed the boat on those. It was discontinued right around the time I was last in market for a kitchen knife. I was looking for a kitchen knife to use on the road (I travel a lot with work and like to cook). I did not realize this until I decided to buy one and they were all gone. :(

So I bought a victorinox cheapo and figured I'd check out one of the Murray Carter collabs that had hype building up at the time, but Japanese style kitchen knives seem to be Sheepsfoot heading to wharncliffe and I want a good amount of belly in my kitchen knife. Mostly flat is good for a bread knife or a paring knife, but not my chef.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hi my name is David and I'm a knifeaholic.

And I kinda sorta low key don't care at all about kitchen knives :eek:

Yeah I don't get it either. As interested as I am in knives, I have never really bought a single quality kitchen knife in my entire life. I have a ~40 year old chef's knife that at the moment I don't even remember the brand but it's a fairly good quality steel/construction and that knife basically carries my kitchen, and my wife is a chef. Even with her profession she also really doesn't care about kitchen knives, so it's a weird double whammy of people you'd think would know and do better but our kitchen is a sad and pathetic affair by knife AFI standards (by Martha Steward standards even).

So, I think I'm gonna have to change this. I might pick up a Counter Puppy to start. The problem is getting everyone else in the house on board with taking care of them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:06 am
Hi my name is David and I'm a knifeaholic.

The problem is getting everyone else in the house on board with taking care of them.
Hi David, we all have our demons. So long as you change your ways and buy ALL the knives, we will allow you to remain in the program. :D

I feel you on that last part... my wife runs our kitchen knives and the Junction through the dishwasher incessantly.

Drives me nuts!

(On a side note, I've been impressed by how well PSF27 has held up under her abuse, very little corrosion)

-Thomas Jefferson
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:06 am
The problem is getting everyone else in the house on board with taking care of them.
This right there is the main reason I've yet to invest in serious kitchen knives. Enduring a life with sub par kitchen knives is the lesser evil compared to watching good innocent knives being mistreated on a regular basis.

However, I did just recently discover the Spyderco Utility knives. The 4.5" version must be amazing knives for travel/camping/outdoor food prep. Super thin and super light. That's the kind of knife I can hide from my family when we are home and they're not relevant for their intended use.

Can't really decide between PE and SE, so I might do both. Hopefully I can find a suitable lightweight sheath or protective sleeve to keep both me and the knife safe when carried in a backpack.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Welcome to the forum Blackpearl. I've been happily using Spyderco's kitchen knives for over 5 years now. My first was the the K08 Santorum and it still remains my most used on the cutting board. I also purchased the K05 (4.5") in serrated as well as plain edge. These two are my wife's favorites. She is no nonsense in the kitchen and more times than not I catch her using these knives on the granite rather than the numerous cutting boards we own. She liked the knives so much I purchased us a set of the serrated and plain edge K04 (6.5"). These 5 as well as the discontinued K-- fillet knife and my C17 Catchermans makeup the entirety of our current culinary toolbox.
Many say the K08 lacks the versatility of a traditional chef knife, and the belly does take some getting used to, but the thin stock and forgiving steel make it easy to maintain at optimal sharpness. I would like it better with a fine point, but that's what the K05 utility knives thrive at doing.
I wish I had the budget to pick up one of the Murray Carter series in Superblue, but I may have to settle for the CTS-BD1N versions instead. Also provided gratuitous use photos for your viewing pleasure.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:23 am
Welcome to the forum Blackpearl. I've been happily using Spyderco's kitchen knives for over 5 years now. My first was the the K08 Santorum and it still remains my most used on the cutting board. I also purchased the K05 (4.5") in serrated as well as plain edge. These two are my wife's favorites. She is no nonsense in the kitchen and more times than not I catch her using these knives on the granite rather than the numerous cutting boards we own. She liked the knives so much I purchased us a set of the serrated and plain edge K04 (6.5"). These 5 as well as the discontinued K-- fillet knife and my C17 Catchermans makeup the entirety of our current culinary toolbox.
Many say the K08 lacks the versatility of a traditional chef knife, and the belly does take some getting used to, but the thin stock and forgiving steel make it easy to maintain at optimal sharpness. I would like it better with a fine point, but that's what the K05 utility knives thrive at doing.
I wish I had the budget to pick up one of the Murray Carter series in Superblue, but I may have to settle for the CTS-BD1N versions instead. Also provided gratuitous use photos for your viewing pleasure.
Wow! Thank you so much! The photos really helped. You gave me a lot of options. I will probably start with a big knife and a small knife then add more. Now I will need to decide which two to get first.