Manix 2 G10 advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Curtis

Manix 2 G10 advice

Post by Curtis »

Hi,
Had my Manix 2 G10 for a few months now and I have noticed a slight amount of play in the blade in the open/locked position. Is this normal? My Tenacious by comparison has no play whatsoever. Thanks in advance.
Wartstein

Re: Manix 2 G10 advice

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don´t have a G10 Manix, just a lightweight, but this one has no blade play at all, and I have used it quite a bit.

Do you experience side to side or up and down play (for addressing the former you could try and tighten the pivot screw a bit)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Like Wartstein suggested, you might need to adjust the pivot screws a little. This is part of regular maintenance for those who want a knife to be spot-on perfect. Of course this only applies if the play is side-to-side.

If the play is up and down... well... that seems rather odd. If that's the case, I'd hose it out with some kind of aerosol cleaner with a nozzle. There might just be goop in there.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

That's not normal. Have you adjusted the pivot? I can create that blade play by loosening the pivot, but tightening the pivot fixes it. And you don't need to loosen the pivot that far to create a drop free action--it's possible to have a nice free swinging blade with zero play.

I'd suggest tightening the pivot a little at a time and rechecking as you go.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Like others have said, the pivot is a likely cause. You might want to check the body screws as well. Sometimes a loose body screw can affect the tightness of the blade.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

There should be absolutely no vertical blade play, unless it's a clone.For horizontal play they do have some.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

razorburn wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:18 pm
...For horizontal play they do have some.
Hmm...I just checked all mine (7) and only one LW model had a little side-to-side play. I tightened the pivot a little so the blade closes with a little wrist flick. It's now as solid as all the others
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

razorburn wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:18 pm
There should be absolutely no vertical blade play, unless it's a clone.
Interesting thought. I wonder where the OPs knife was purchased.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I think my Manix 2 (G10) has a little side to side play, but I haven't checked in a while and haven't tried to tighten the pivot. It's so inconsequential I don't even worry about it.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela