enuff 2!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteveMidwest

Re: enuff 2!!!

Post by SteveMidwest »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:45 pm
Hi Steve,

As usual, we will watch the reaction of those using the model and listen to where the model should go.

sal

Thank you, Sir. :bug-red-white
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I told a couple of people about me dying my Enuff 2 K390 Scales right away, upon their arrival. :bug-red-white

The Sun didn't come out for nearly two weeks, so I held off taking pictures. Mainly because I let these get so dark, that it was going to take some sunshine to show off the real color.

I keep 'my own' dye pot with Red dye it all of the time. Always ready to go, and this way, she doesn't get mad at me! ;)

From time to time I'll buy a knife with no scale color options, and use this pot to turn them a maroon color. Shorter time is lighter, longer is darker. Whether it's blue, OD Green, or Brown. They all turn a Maroon with this Red dye. I love Maroon! I really like Brown too, so it's mainly Blue and OD Green that I throw in the dye pot :smiling-cheeks

I will share a couple of pictures here now . . .

If you could choose another scale color for your Enuff 2, what would it be?
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

That looks outstanding! Did you just dunk the knife handle in the pot like that?
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:50 am
That looks outstanding! Did you just dunk the knife handle in the pot like that?

No, I took these scales off with a T6 driver. If I am going to dye scales, I like to do it right away, when the knife is new. It's easier to clean & prep that way, before hitting the dye pot. Plus, K390 does not like to go swimming. :smlling-eyes

I keep some bent-up pieces of stainless steel wire handy, to loop through the lanyard hole, and hook off to the side. Each scale getting its own wire. This makes it much easier to check on the progress periodically, and to later take them out.

These ended being in the simmering dye for about 20 - 30 minutes.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:29 am
it looks like a fixed blade Native Chief...
Good point...

Can someone post a picture with a Native Chief? Especially comparing the handle lengths.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:22 pm
Bolster wrote:
Good point...

Can someone post a picture with a Native Chief? Especially comparing the handle lengths.

.... and could someone post a comparison pic with the Manix handle? Enuff (1 or 2) handle and Manix handle lined up at their "hooks" at the handle rear end?

Unfortuately I think I forgot to take comparison pics when I still had my Enuff (1)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:22 pm
Bolster wrote:
Good point...

Well, you Folks are awful demanding! :smiling-cheeks

I took this group of photos this Sunday morning. The Sun finally came out from behind the clouds, and I did happen to have these four knives out, and handy.

Wartstein, I am pretty sure that the Enuff 1 and 2 have interchangeable handle scales. I never did buy an Enuff 1, but I am trying to track down an Enuff 1 now, to confirm this swap-ability. If swapable, I wonder if Spyderco will sell me just a yellow set of scales? :smiling-halo :bug-red-white

Here are three pictures. No matter what you 'think' you see. Each picture was taken after carefully lining up one of three sections of the knives with a straight edge, before snapping each picture. Back of scales lined-up, Front of scales lined-up, and blade tips line-up. (I'm not sure which order the photos will upload though:)

I took some quick measurements too, to type in here. So that some people after looking at these pictures, won't have to go look them up, if they don't know, or remember them. You can add the scale plus blade measurement, if you need the overall length number.

Manix 2 LW M4 - Handle 4.656" Blade 3.375"
Manix 2 G10 15V - Handle 4.656" Blade 3.375"
Native Chief CF S90V - Handle 5.090" Blade 4.078"
Enuff 2 K390 - Handle 4.060" Blade 3.953"
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:50 am
Well, you Folks are awful demanding! :smiling-cheeks
Thank you good sir! You are a gentleman and a scholar. 🥇
Hans

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thanks Steve, for pictures and measurements!
And thank you Wartstein for putting in the request.

To me the grip area "behind the choil" looks very similar in length. Maybe a tad bit shorter on the M2, but the absence of finger grooves and a less pronounced hook at the butt end could maybe make it more space efficient, i.e. fit a similarly sized hand in slightly less handle length.

Either way, it still looks very promising, and I'm also pleased to see that the radius on the forward finger guard looks very similar to that of the Manix. I'm pretty much sold on this one. Now it's just a matter of endurance training for that instant gratification prone modern consumer mind while I keep hoping for a sa... hmm.. wouldn't you know, it's almost Easter! What a perfect excuse for Spyderco to put a splash of yellow dye in that FRN solution over in Seki and sprinkle the knife world with some holyday spirit ;)

**Joking of course, I'll happily wait for as long as it takes**
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The handle is too short for my liking, unfortunately.

If it was similar to the Chief or Caribbean I would have been all in.
Hans

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:17 am
Thanks Steve, for pictures and measurements!
And thank you Wartstein for putting in the request.

To me the grip area "behind the choil" looks very similar in length. Maybe a tad bit shorter on the M2, but the absence of finger grooves and a less pronounced hook at the butt end could maybe make it more space efficient, i.e. fit a similarly sized hand in slightly less handle length.

Either way, it still looks very promising, and I'm also pleased to see that the radius on the forward finger guard looks very similar to that of the Manix. I'm pretty much sold on this one. Now it's just a matter of endurance training for that instant gratification prone modern consumer mind while I keep hoping for a sa... hmm.. wouldn't you know, it's almost Easter! What a perfect excuse for Spyderco to put a splash of yellow dye in that FRN solution over in Seki and sprinkle the knife world with some holyday spirit ;)

**Joking of course, I'll happily wait for as long as it takes**

You are welcome, aicolainen, and you have a great eye! ;)

I see now what you are looking at and thinking about, on that 'grip area'. I did not think about that, during this comparison photoshoot. :cheap-sunglasses

So I just now measured that area on both knives (Manix 2/Enuff 2), and it is 1/16" (0.062") longer on the Enuff 2. :bug-red-white
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I am so glad that the Enuff doesn't have "handle-itis" (=elephantitis of the handle).

That's one thing that puts the Enuff on my buy list. I don't like to carry around excess handle. I want just enuff handle, thank you very much.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:17 am
The handle is too short for my liking, unfortunately.

If it was similar to the Chief or Caribbean I would have been all in.
You are welcome, Brock O Lee. I was happy to do it, though my wife thinks I'm crazy. :zany

Many knives have a longer handle, and I'm sure you'll find something you love.

For me, this is an absolutely perfect blade to handle ratio. I make some knives from time to time, and for me, and the for the people I make knives for. It is exactly this ratio that is wanted. Mainly, because it much more EDC friendly. In the fact that we get a 4"-ish cutting edge, with only an 8" overall length. EDC, as in Farmers, Ranchers, and Blue collar trade workers. Who pull out their knife several times a day, to make a quick cut, and for that 15 seconds of use. Don't even have time to think about how the grip was. :cowboy

Most of the folks I hang out with, use a knife like this as a pocket dropper. Dropping it into the side tool pocket of their carpenter jeans. Around this 8" length, puts it in that pocket very nicely. The knives I make, are a 3.75" blade length, and 7.75" overall. The sheaths made, are cut very close to the tip of the blade, as to not add any unnecessary overall carry length. Especially when dropping a knife like this in to side tool pocket of carpenter jeans.
:bug-red-white
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

aicolainen wrote:
... I'm also pleased to see that the radius on the forward finger guard looks very similar to that of the Manix...

^ And this.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:40 am
I am so glad that the Enuff doesn't have "handle-itis" (=elephantitis of the handle).

That's one thing that puts the Enuff on my buy list. I don't like to carry around excess handle. I want just enuff handle, thank you very much.
You're right of course, and this knife is perfect in that department! :smiling-halo

Perfect Blade Length/Cutting Edge to Handle Ratio.
Perfect Blade Length for EDC (for me:)
Perfect (K390) Steel Choice.
Perfect Blade thickness (3mm).
Great handle 'comfort'.
Great Carry options Sheath.
Perfect Handle Color (once dyed:)

If I had to list two complaints. It would be that for me and my use case. The sheath is overly long. It goes 7/8" past the tip of the blade. Which in many use cases is fine, but for pocket-dropping, it's just way too much. I am using it, but I will be scheduling some time later this month, to make a new one.

The second thing is, that this bolt pattern does not work well for me, for two reasons. One, it's hard to make aftermarket scales for (unlike the Mule for example), mainly because the screw holes are overly close to the edge. Along with that, now in modern times. Years after the first Enuff (thicker/shorter) knife was drawn-up. Rockwell hardness and edge retention have gone way up (K390), and this knife (correctly so) has gotten a lot thinner. Add to that, less toughness in higher edge retention steel/s. Those scale mounting screws being directly across from each other, right there behind the ricasso. Makes me a bit nervous, for users with less experience. This knife is a hot rod, which could be driven a little harder, if it had the Mule bolt pattern. We used to see a lot of fixed blade knives years ago, with this type of bolt/pin pattern, but they were for the most part pinned scales, and for much tougher steels, with much less HRC and edge retention. I have seen a bunch of even those knives break across the knife. From that one screw location to the other.
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:29 am
aicolainen wrote:

I see now what you are looking at and thinking about, on that 'grip area'. I did not think about that, during this comparison photoshoot. :cheap-sunglasses

So I just now measured that area on both knives (Manix 2/Enuff 2), and it is 1/16" (0.062") longer on the Enuff 2. :bug-red-white

Thanks, Steve, for the pics and now for the measurements!

This was what I thought and suggested to aicolainen in another thread (that the grip area on the Enuff (I had the "1") is actually a bit longer, at least not less, than on the Manix 2 - and perfect for my L to XL hands) and why I asked.

Anyway, and as said in that other thread: For me the Enuff probably has the most ergonomic Spyderco handle (folder or fixed blade)I ever held (to be fair: I have not much experience in the Spyderco fixed blade departmentment. Just know the Enuff 1 and the Waterway)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:43 am
SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:29 am
aicolainen wrote:

Thanks, Steve, for the pics and now for the measurements!

This was what I thought and suggested to aicolainen in another thread (that the grip area on the Enuff (I had the "1") is actually a bit longer, at least not less, than on the Manix 2 - and perfect for my L to XL hands) and why I asked.

Anyway, and as said in that other thread: For me the Enuff probably has the most ergonomic Spyderco handle (folder or fixed blade)I ever held (to be fair: I have not much experience in the Spyderco fixed blade departmentment. Just know the Enuff 1 and the Waterway)

You are quite welcome Wartstein, and even though you are 7773 km (4830 miles) away. I can feel the Spyderco Enuff 2 love all of the way from here! :smiling-cheeks :bug-red-white

(Fun Fact) - Your temperature there right now, is exactly the same as mine! :cheap-sunglasses
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm more than impatient for the K390 Enuff 2 ! Thought I already have the Mule, it might be redondant. I know the Mule has less cutting edge though
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:02 pm
I'm more than impatient for the K390 Enuff 2 ! Thought I already have the Mule, it might be redondant. I know the Mule has less cutting edge though

Shops say it will be available in less than two weeks here in Europe, right?

/ I am still on the fence IF I should get an Enuff 2 at all (I am really covered concerning fixed blades... but that handle is just SOO nice, as I recall from my Enuff 1)
.. and if I do: PE K390 or SE VG10?!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Thanks for the insight, Steve!

Well before the Enuff 2 was announced, I had designed a knife for fun (just a cutout) that took the concept of the original Enuff and did the “reverse”.
I was partially inspired by some comments of a custom maker at the time as well, or at least their comments led me to the idea.

Anyway, it was basically a different interpretation of what was “enough”.
I wanted to fit a full sized blade onto just enough handle rather than a full sized handle on just enough blade (I know this kinda simplifies the Enuff design too much because the handle is also intentionally just enough and not super roomy for most). It’s certainly not a new concept in knife design, but it was new to me.
I only mention it because, while the handle I came up was completely different (smaller but no pinky hook or gaurd), the blade ended up being very similar in dimensions and shape as the Enuff has turned out to be. I was at least pretty pleased by that and it makes me smile.
I design a lot of knives for fun, but I take it pretty seriously, so it’s nice when an idea I had is independently created, especially by much more skilled/experienced people.

In saying all that, you can probably tell I dig the design a lot and will get a K390 Enuff 2 in due time.

I would really like a slim, Golden made fixed blade with no choil in Rex45, around the Enuff 2’s size or maybe a tad bigger, with a focus on cutting geometry.
I’m mostly saying this because I think what the Enuff 2 is doing with K390 is a great direction in steel and geometry that isn’t explored by a lot of production fixed blades. I want to see more like it. Spyderco has sort of always been going in this direction, so it’s more like I want them to keep it up.
Coincidentally, I’ve also designed such a knife because the idea has been burned into my mind for a while. Ok, maybe not exactly a coincidence.
The style seems like such a perfect fit for the kind of EDC use Steve described, so, once again, I was happy to read Steve’s insight.

I say a hard steel like Rex45 and a thin edge for a number of reasons. For example, I was really impressed with the report from BBB regarding his “real world testing” experiment with that Military. I anticipate similar accounts about the K390 Enuff 2 because there are so many positive reactions about the steel on various Spydercos. I’ve also been very impressed my 15V Manix and Spy27 Mule. There is a tangible difference in edge performance you get out of these higher hardness steels in fixed blades (or through using folders like my Manix for fixed blade stuff). It’s been really fun to see this myself in use and I’ve come to appreciate the cutting efficiency of thin edges on fixed blades.

I’m still working on sheath ideas, but I have some. I think the Enuff 2’s setup is nice, but I hadn’t considered things like dumping into a tool pocket of some jeans.

Nowadays, when I design a fixed blade, I’m also designing all of my desired geometry like the cross section of the blade, thicknesses behind the edge, how wide of a wheel is needed to get the hollow grind right if necessary, etc.

It’s basically a map of every dimension of the knife on paper. The only thing I’d like to be able to do more readily on paper is depict the knives in a wider variety of perspectives with accurate dimensions, but that is just me wanting to hone certain artistic skills. That said, all of the designing stuff is more of an exercise in satisfying my curiosity and keeping up some degree of art practice.
I’ve liked designing things for as long as I can remember and was always fascinated by the blueprints my Grandfather draws (He’s an architect and has designed many houses here in Florida, including the one I grew up in).

I guess, if I get to the point where I can make knives for myself, I’ll have a good selection of designs to get started on.

Sorry, I end up talking about designing a lot now. When I appreciate a design like Enuff 2 I get a lot of inspiration.

Edit: I’m so sorry if you tried to read this and actually understand anything before I corrected all the typos and errors. I try to check before I post, but I always miss some and have to edit like this.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: