Now what?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Signalman1

Now what?

Post by Signalman1 »

OK Guys I am a newbie here and I think I have found the best knife for me...I have now bought 6 Spyderco knives since June 10:

My last knife I got yesterday which covers all my needs and does not have any negative items I can point to like the other ones I now own...in my eyes this knife is perfect. That knife is the Advocate. I have spent more money on knives in the last few months than in my 61 years being alive. I have had a great time looking and comparing all the different models and steels. So my question for you members is: Now What ??

Thanks for any advice you have.

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
JuPaul

Re: Now what?

Post by JuPaul »

Sell the ones you don't love and keep trying more! I've fallen in love with quite a few knives this way, and it's pretty fun trying out lots of models and having a revolving collection.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Give yourself and your wallet a break for a month :cool:
One month restriction of not buying certain things is a good thing to do from time to time. Spend more time with models that you have, used them, and them think what parameters would you like to adjust, and then try to find a model that fit your needs better.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Reveal #6 comes out soon so we will get to see some brand new spyderco knives and also the annual discontinued list will also come out soon so you will be able to get those knives
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Welcome, and nice collection! I recommend trying out a Paramilitary 2 & and a Pacific Salt next.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sell off the others, buy a second Advocate just in case (once they're out of production it'll be expensive to find another one). Then buy something with serrations...break out of the mold a bit and explore something different. I'd suggest a Caribbean, but the upcoming Rock Jumper looks really promising and will be about half the price. You can do all this and you'll still have money left that you recouped from selling the others. Maybe look into more/better sharpening equipment?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Now you use them :D

I'm fortunate, I guess, in that my job involves using a knife (a lot), so I'm always learning new things about what works best in a knife for me in certain situations, or what features I don't like.

So every several months or so, I will end up buying a new Spyderco to try out either a new design or a familiar design in a different steel to see if it offers something I can apply at work that prior models don't. I also regularly gift away to friends, family, and coworkers any Spydercos that I don't use as much. That way my collection doesn't get unmanageable & I also get to share my passion for the hobby.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:51 pm
Sell off the others, buy a second Advocate just in case (once they're out of production it'll be expensive to find another one). Then buy something with serrations...break out of the mold a bit and explore something different. I'd suggest a Caribbean, but the upcoming Rock Jumper looks really promising and will be about half the price. You can do all this and you'll still have money left that you recouped from selling the others. Maybe look into more/better sharpening equipment?
The Advocate has already been discontinued.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:07 pm
Connor when did that happen? Spyderco's website lists it as "out of stock". I would think if it was officially discontinued it we be listed that way but what do I know

EDIT: I looked up a couple other models that I know are discontinued. They also show "out of stock" but also say discontinued underneath
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:20 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Connor when did that happen? Spyderco's website lists it as "out of stock". I would think if it was officially discontinued it we be listed that way but what do I know

EDIT: I looked up a couple other models that I know are discontinued. They also show "out of stock" but also say discontinued underneath
From last year's discontinued thread:
TazKristi wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:32 pm
Comprehensive Discontinued List:
BY03TIP2 - Cara Cara 2 Titanium
BY04TIP2 - Meadowlark 2 Titanium
BY10TIP2 - Robin 2 Titanium
C07GP4 - Police 4 G-10
C28S - Dragonfly Stainless SPY
C28SBK2 - Dragonfly 2 Black SPY
C69GP3 - Lil’ Temperance 3 G-10
C82GP3 - D'Allara 3
C91SYL - Pacific Salt Yellow SPY (Look for the Pacific Salt 2 in 2020)
C91PYL - Pacific Salt Yellow PLN (Look for the Pacific Salt 2 in 2020)
C91SBK - Pacific Salt Black SPY (Look for the Pacific Salt 2 in 2020)
C91PBK - Pacific Salt Black PLN (Look for the Pacific Salt 2 in 2020)
C91PBBK - Pacific Salt Black Blade PLN (Look for the Pacific Salt 2 in 2020)
C91SBBK - Pacific Salt Black Blade SPY (Look for the Pacific Salt 2 in 2020)
C123CFP - Sage 1 Carbon Fiber
C152STIBLP - Chaparral Blue Stepped Ti
C152STIP - Chaparral Stepped Ti
C170GP - Karahawk G-10 Satin
C193PGY - Squarehead Lightweight Gray
C193PBK - Squarehead Lightweight Black
C203TIP - Mantra 2 Titanium
C212CFP - Magnitude Carbon Fiber
C214TIP - Advocate Titanium
C218GP - Opus G-10
C219GP - Q-Ball G-10
C224GP - Lil’ Sub-Hilt G-10
C225GP - Hundred Pacer
C227GP - Hanan G-10
FB38GP - Junction
K11S - Cooks Knife SPY
TSMCO - T-Shirt Men’s Colorado Flag
TSMRHP - T-Shirt Men’s Reliable High Performance
TSMTWK - T-Shirt Men’s Those Who Know
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:27 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Yeah I think I remember discussion about that now. I have to wonder if that was a mistake.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Now it's time to get into sharpening if you haven't already.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Signalman1 - I still think you need to try that GB2 you were considering before you finally decided to go with the Advocate

Otherwise give us an idea of what you're looking for. Something smaller? Native 5 might be a good choice. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Well there ya go, all the more reason to scramble and get one now before secondary prices skyrocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:33 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Yeah I think I remember discussion about that now. I have to wonder if that was a mistake.
If what was a mistake? That Spyderco doesn't list it as disco'd on their website?
The last remaining stock has been sold out for awhile now at most regular dealers. I remember because after it was discontinued, a lot of dealers dropped the price dramatically and I was able to get one for my coworker for only $155, brand new CQI version to boot. Now that was a deal!
- Connor

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:42 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:33 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

If what was a mistake? That Spyderco doesn't list it as disco'd on their website?
The last remaining stock has been sold out for awhile now at most regular dealers. I remember because after it was discontinued, a lot of dealers dropped the price dramatically and I was able to get one for my coworker for only $155, brand new CQI version to boot. Now that was a deal!
I guess I just plain forgot about all that! Glad I have mine!
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:37 pm
Signalman1 - I still think you need to try that GB2 you were considering before you finally decided to go with the Advocate

Otherwise give us an idea of what you're looking for. Something smaller? Native 5 might be a good choice. ;)
That is a great idea maybe something special just might pop up...or I could look for a older model that I had on my list from before.Great thing is I have some great friends here who have plenty of nice ones to play with ...I might be able to talk one of the out of one of their fancy ones...just never know. The Native was already on my list when I bought the Sage 5.

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I would say to try a GB2 as well! I've really been impressed with mine since I got it. I can see how people could want to mod them for easier lock bar access but I don't mind the way it is. Great size, great ergos, great steel with a great hollow grind! Can't wait for my patina to form!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

If you have found “the one” then just enjoy using it and sell off the knives that are lacking in some way for you.
Be happy.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BTW T, take a hard look at the Sliverax. I carried mine again today and I still can't believe there isn't more enthusiasm for it. Knowing you don't care for knives that are wide in the pocket I think you'd really like it.