Now what?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Now what?

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Now you wait for the Police4 LW to be released.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Take a break and use what you have. That's how your tastes refine and develop. Anything you don't carry that isn't special, move along. My own collection is usually constantly changing....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
acer

Post by acer »

That’s a nice collection of 6 spyderco,s. It’s a great feeling when you have found the Right Pattern /knife that ticks all your own requirements. Well done . Enjoy.
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:50 pm
BTW T, take a hard look at the Sliverax. I carried mine again today and I still can't believe there isn't more enthusiasm for it. Knowing you don't care for knives that are wide in the pocket I think you'd really like it.
I have not checked that one out yet...but I did look at the Siren which has no Thumb hump and it has the style of blade that I like almost like the native style of knife. My last two knives were the Mantra2 and the Advocate which has evolved from the knifes I already bought.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions...the PM2 for me is too wide for me so that is why I have gone for knives like the Pattada, and Mantra2, the Native 5 would be good just like my Shaman. I am learning that I want at least a 4" handle and about a 3.5" blade. The GB2 was a very hard choice not to get because of the blade style every thing else about the knife is good. I even thought about the Native Chief but I think that one is a little long for me like the Pattada I bought. I would love to see one in person to make the final decision. Now as far as serrated knife I have used on for work for over 20 years and it works great for stripping the coating off of the wire I work with. My work knife is a piece of junk compared to my spydercos but it works.

Thanks again guys for all the great advice...I wish there was a knife store close by so I can go and handle some different knives...but Walmart and Big 5 just don't cut it.

Signalman :mad: :) :D
acer

Post by acer »

Your so right , The Try in hand before you buy approach would be great . The nearest spyderco shop to me is approx 100 miles away. At least the retailer allows returns mail order. But never the less . Hey ho if shop nearer it could possible mean a visit every weekend 👍 that would be nice.🧹
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Signalman1 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:11 pm
OK Guys I am a newbie here and I think I have found the best knife for me...I have now bought 6 Spyderco knives since June 10:

My last knife I got yesterday which covers all my needs and does not have any negative items I can point to like the other ones I now own...in my eyes this knife is perfect. That knife is the Advocate. I have spent more money on knives in the last few months than in my 61 years being alive. I have had a great time looking and comparing all the different models and steels. So my question for you members is: Now What ??

Thanks for any advice you have.

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
I’ve been here for a while.

So, I’ll push back against getting rid of ones that are not the Advocate. I’ll even push back against the Advocate as your favorite. Read on...

Unless you imagine your time here to be brief—as a simple in-and-out quest to find the one Spydie that suits you—I’ll bet some other Spydie will become your favorite in due course, or, more likely, you’ll start talking about your top 5 or 10. Why? You can’t really shed your love for the Advocate—if you really love it—just because another has succeeded it. Spydie-love is all about promiscuity, and no one here would call you on it.

Your six Spydies—all good ones—will vie for your love if you give them time. And if you give them that time, chances are better than good that you’ll have at least twelve this time next year.

Now what?

Two things.

Avoid seller’s remorse.

And explore. What? How about Sal’s vs. Eric’s designs (no competition implied); steels, geometries, and handles; the Salts; the Spyderedges (not all are Salts); the Collaborations (don’t overlook the Sal and Eric ones); the Ethnics; JD’s “Golden Age”; or the strangely-curved blades (my strongest curiosity at the moment).

Sal’s invitation—that you divine his purpose—makes this place so much richer than a target for in-and-our quests. Your six Spydies have clued you in, I judge.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
carrot

Post by carrot »

It can take time to develop real preferences around knives.

When I started this journey 15 years ago, I thought Spydercos were ugly. I bought a mini Mel Pardue design and said this is the first, and last knife I will ever buy.

14 years ago, I thought the Delica was "okay, for a cheap knife."

13 years ago, I thought the Paramilitary was the best knife for every person, for every use.

12 years ago, I found the best knife in the world, the Caly3.

For a handful of years, all I carried was my trusty Dragonfly Salt. The years prior I considered it "too small" for a real knife.

Last year, the Delica found its way back into my pocket. Extended carry and real use, plus various cutting experiences, have put it there. Tastes change and sometimes it takes going all the way around. That said, I've never regretted a Spyderco, though I have regretted selling a few.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

An Endura K390 is a killer deal in a knife with super high end steel. Also, I think a Siren would be a good choice. It is rust proof.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050