Why the Limited Selections on Fixed-Blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
-Kiku-

Why the Limited Selections on Fixed-Blades?

Post by -Kiku- »

Spyderco's Dragonfly 2 is the first and the only folding knife I've ever owned. I got it because the knife is tiny, cute, and for situations where having a tiny pocketknife can come in handy. But when it comes to knives in general, my preference is towards small fixed-blades. Small fixed-blades (4.5" blades and under) because large knives generally scare me. In general, I don't like moving/movable knife parts.

Spyderco got my attention for their rich selection of different blade materials, even the exotic ones when I started knives collection hobby about a week ago. But when I checked their product lineup, I was disappointed to find so few selections of fixed-blades. It would appear that Spyderco mainly specializes in folding knives. Why is this so? Is it because they determined that the majority of the market is in folding knives?

Digging further, it appears Spyderco used to offer skeletonized fixed blades years ago (something about a MULE program) but it died out for reasons unknown to me. Is there any chance of Spyderco bringing back fixed-blades?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact.
Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
wrdwrght

Re: Why the Limited Selections on Fixed-Blades?

Post by wrdwrght »

Few selections of fixed blades? Perhaps ones in production, but the back catalog has a bunch you can find on the secondary market. And the bunch comprises real design-choices that stack up well against FB-only makers.

And don’t overlook the fact that folders, good ones anyway, are way harder to make, and Spyderco’s designers and makers are top-notch.

Spyderco is a different experience. Enjoy what you will learn.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Spy-27 Mule is scheduled to be released soon, so yes.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/MT28/1880

There are plenty of other Spyderco fixed blades though:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/fixed-blades
-Kiku-

Post by -Kiku- »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:23 am
There are plenty of other Spyderco fixed blades though:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/fixed-blades
Small blades of geometry I like? Not so many.

Something like ENUFF™ FRN BLACK LEAF is what I am looking for but made of blade material other than VG-10. Preferably on the much higher-end of stainless steels like S110V or Maxamet. And a thicker spine.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What about the Waterway? Too long?

Honestly, aside from the Mules (which I love) my carry fixed blades include very few Spydercos. Almost all my folders are Spyderco though. To be fair, I've been doing a lot of construction type work lately and I've been carrying my K390 mule almost exclusively.

I'm very happy with Spyderco focusing on their folders, because they produce so many world class home runs. Plenty of people build good fixed blades. I love Spyderco, but I'm not married to them. If the ideal fixed blade for you is something else, buy that, use it, and be happy. :)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would consider the Proficient; 4” blade, S90V and perfect ergos. There is talk of future variations as well.

My custom sheath
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I just want a Southfork
I want it, :stump foot:
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Proficient is definitely worth a look if it's in the budget.

Serrata also, if it fits your size criteria.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Kiku,

Welcome to the forums!

The "why" is likely that Spyderco started out making folding knives. Plenty of good fixed blades were out there, but Sal's opportunity was high-performance folding knives.

Still, there are quite a few options, if you know where to look. My first suggestion to you would be to get a Mule Team 27. PD#1 is basically Cruwear, a very well-balanced steel. It's only $70 for the knife, and you can add a sheath and scales for $140 or so, all straight from Spyderco.

Here's mine:

The Mule Team project is still going on. They produce a limited number, and they often sell out fast. I'm not sure why the PD#1 didn't sell out faster, my only guess is that people don't like that it doesn't say "cruwear" on the blade. As others mentioned, the Spy 27 Mule is scheduled to be released soon.

My second suggestion would be the Proficient, as Dazen suggested.

If that doesn't work for you, Blade HQ currently has 24 models of Spyderco Fixed Blades in stock. Have you looked through them all?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

As others have said, almost all of my folders are Spyderco, but most of my fixed blades are other brands. I think Spyderco has some beautiful fixed blades, but many of them just don't fit my particular fixed blade uses. With that being said, there are still plenty of current and discontinued spydie fixed blades that I'd love to have: the Waterway, the Southfork, and the Perrin Street Beat and Bowie, to name just a few. I have a Bow River and a PD1 mule already, and I will definitely be getting a Swick 6 when they come out.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
-Kiku-

Post by -Kiku- »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:42 pm
My first suggestion to you would be to get a Mule Team 27. PD#1 is basically Cruwear, a very well-balanced steel. It's only $70 for the knife, and you can add a sheath and scales for $140 or so, all straight from Spyderco.

Here's mine:

The Mule Team project is still going on. They produce a limited number, and they often sell out fast. I'm not sure why the PD#1 didn't sell out faster, my only guess is that people don't like that it doesn't say "cruwear" on the blade. As others mentioned, the Spy 27 Mule is scheduled to be released soon.

My second suggestion would be the Proficient, as Dazen suggested.

If that doesn't work for you, Blade HQ currently has 24 models of Spyderco Fixed Blades in stock. Have you looked through them all?
Hi, Kennethsime. I am not too thrilled about Micromelt PD#1. But the German shepherd in the photo looks absolutely adorable, much more so than your customized PD#1!!

I've already looked at Spyderco's PROFICIENT™. I like the overall design, similar to the kwaiken-style I've been looking for, but the spine thickness is much thinner than I would like on a blade of 4" length. And I am not sure about the carbon fiber handle's grip, especially when wet.

And I've already looked at all of the fixed-blades at BladeHQ, Arizona Custom Knives, EKnives, GPknives, Fort Henry Custom Knives, Collectors Firearms, Knife Center, and browsed through nearly a thousand listings on Etsy and Ebay. I even went so far as to contact nearly a hundred knifemakers registered with BladeForums to inquire whether they work with exotic stainless steels, and of those that do (only a couple), inquired if they're accepting custom-orders.

Zero luck, so far. So if anything, I'm guilty of trying too hard.

But I know there are vendors still out there with knives that meet my criteria but have remained hidden successfully from my prying eyes ... and so the search goes on.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kiku,

We've been told by many that the blade on the "Enuff" is already too thick. We're working on an "Enuff 2" with a longer and thinner blade. Why would you want such a thick spine on such a short blade?

Perhaps you to talk to a custom knife maker and have them make exactly what you want?

sal
SDCowboy

Post by SDCowboy »

There are likely few fixed blades because for like 99% of people, they have no need of one outside of kitchen knives.

Spyderco is a business - they're going to make what sells. That would be folding knives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I love to put my 2 cents on these "fixed blade" threads. As most of you know I'm a huge fan of many of Spyderco's older models. And the fixed blades are no exception. To this day my favorite fixed blade Spyderco model is the TEMPERANCE 1 model. Not only is that handle on that model close to complete perfection the blade is a perfect size and it's a splendid outdoor knife. Also the TEMP 1 is one of the few Spyderco fixed blades that they offered up in SE & PE both. And both the SE & PE Temp 1 models are just great for so many cutting jobs.

I also can't tell you all how many times I've said to myself how utterly cool it would be to have the SouthFork model come back and be offered in SE & PE both. That SouthFork I'm sure would be a megabeast in Spyderedge.

If any of you newer members ever get a chance to nail down a Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model you won't regret it. Oh if you're lucky they also offered those TEMP 1 models with coated blades>> and they did a nice job on the coatings too.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:30 pm
We've been told by many that the blade on the "Enuff" is already too thick. We're working on an "Enuff 2" with a longer and thinner blade. Why would you want such a thick spine on such a short blade?
sal
Will the Enuff 2 have a Salt model? I’ve really enjoyed carrying the Enuff Salt on my PFD for canoeing and (occasional) saltwater kayaking. The think blade is great for a rescue knife since it has to stand up to emergency use, but I can see why one might prefer a thinner blade for camping, fishing, chores, etc.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Kiku,

:eek: :eek: :)

That's amazing news! Sounds like a Spydie I really have been wishing for!!
Just an Enuff with 3mm (or even thinner) stock instead of 4mm, and a cutting edge of about 0.5 to 1 " more length than the current model...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
-Kiku-

Post by -Kiku- »

sal wrote:
Hi Kiku,

Perhaps you to talk to a custom knife maker and have them make exactly what you want?

sal
Sal,

I've been trying to find a knifemaker who is knowledgeable in working with high-end and/or exotic super-steels who also accepts special orders for custom-blades. They're practically impossible to find. I even put up an ad where I am willing to pay possibly up to $1500 if not more in BladeForums for a custom-made tiny kwaiken-style knife. Not one person has responded in over a month. Most of the knifemakers registered in BladeForums seem to be about a decade or two behind in materials ... almost as if they're completely oblivious to modern-day powder metallurgy technology.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

-Kiku- wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:44 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Kiku,

sal
Sal,

I've been trying to find a knifemaker who is knowledgeable in working with high-end and/or exotic super-steels who also accepts special orders for custom-blades. They're practically impossible to find. I even put up an ad where I am willing to pay possibly up to $1500 if not more in BladeForums for a custom-made tiny kwaiken-style knife. Not one person has responded in over a month. Most of the knifemakers registered in BladeForums seem to be about a decade or two behind in materials ... almost as if they're completely oblivious to modern-day powder metallurgy technology.
Robert Erickson makes stuff in M4, Vanax, etc. He mainly makes Kitchen Knives, but I'm sure he will make a knife to your specifications. Probably for around a third of your budget. I can get you his email if you want.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
-Kiku-

Post by -Kiku- »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:52 am
I would consider the Proficient; 4” blade, S90V and perfect ergos. There is talk of future variations as well.

I would buy Proficient in a heartbeat if its ricasso's a little thicker and came in saber grind with false edge. But I am still not sure of that carbon fiber handle material so a micarta option would be a plus. But that carbon fiber handle looks bolted in so swapping it out wouldn't be too troublesome.
-Kiku-

Post by -Kiku- »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:58 pm
Robert Erickson makes stuff in M4, Vanax, etc. He mainly makes Kitchen Knives, but I'm sure he will make a knife to your specifications. Probably for around a third of your budget. I can get you his email if you want.
Please PM me his contact email address.