VG-10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kloeshuman

VG-10?

Post by Kloeshuman »

So I'm pretty new to spyderco, what are the pros and cons of VG-10? If there is any. How does it hold an edge ? Easy to sharpen? I have a delica se ATS-55 now and was looking at picking up a delica pe VG-10 frn zome green. Let me know your thoughts
Thanks
sal

Re: VG-10?

Post by sal »

Hi Kloeshuman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Holds an edge better than ATS-55, still quite easy to sharpen. Takes a very fine edge. I think if you like ATS-55 you'll be happy with VG10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kloeshuman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:37 pm
So I'm pretty new to spyderco, what are the pros and cons of VG-10? If there is any. How does it hold an edge ? Easy to sharpen? I have a delica se ATS-55 now and was looking at picking up a delica pe VG-10 frn zome green. Let me know your thoughts
Thanks
Welcome! :)

I am not a steel expert at all (but I am sure some will chime in)

That being said: VG10 is still among my most favorite EDC steels... very easy to sharpen, gets scary sharp even if one is not a mastersharpener (and I am NOT), tough enough and in my use totally rustproof (this is not true for all folks though and probably not in salt water enviroment).

Edge holding is not the strong side of this steel, but decent imho

I´d recommend getting a sharpmaker for sharpening and I personally would go with the serrated wharnie Delica...

(EDIT for spelling)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

VG10 gets really sharp, really easy and holds it for an ok amount of time. Everything is better with a serrated edge!
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

This thread viewtopic.php?t=86503
and this article https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/05/01/ ... fe-steels/ might be of interest for you
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

VG-10 is pretty underrated in my opinion. If you are able to sharpen frequently, it's probably the easiest way to have a scary sharp knife with you all the time.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:00 pm
VG-10 is pretty underrated in my opinion. If you are able to sharpen frequently, it's probably the easiest way to have a scary sharp knife with you all the time.
I’ve pretty much come full circle to where I do this with most knives so therefore edge holding isn’t the characteristic I look for in a steel nowadays.

To answer the OP, as others have stated, vg10 is great and it will serve you well!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:54 pm
Holds an edge better than ATS-55, still quite easy to sharpen. Takes a very fine edge. I think if you like ATS-55 you'll be happy with VG10.
I can totally agree with everything that he just said. But don't sell ATS-55 short because it's a really decent blade steel and I still love a few Spyderco knives that I got during that era.

But VG-10 is a very dependable and endurable blade steel. From what I learned about VG-10 it was primarily meant to be an "agricultural" steel ( whatever that entails :confused: ) But some knife maker quickly discovered that it made a really nice blade steel. No I wouldn't put it in the "supersteel" category because some of the newer blade steels will outperform it for sure.

But I still like it better than S30V and several other Spyderco blade steels. I have several Spyderco folders and a few fixed blades with VG-10 and I plan on keeping them. Any model you like and if it has VG-10 blade steel you'll be satisfied with it I'm certain that you will find it performs well. And WELCOME TO THE FORUM by the way :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Kloes,

Welcome to the forum!

Just going to echo everyone else here. Easy to sharpen, holds a great edge, gets scary scary sharp. Not a super steel by any means, but absolutely fantastic for EDC. Go for the new Delica, you won't regret it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m not a steel authority, but here’s my take from years of using Spyderco knives...

VG-10 is one of my favorite steels. I like it much more than S30V, and I like S30V. And VG-10 is good in both PE and SE.

It doesn’t hold an edge the longest, but holds an edge pretty good as a pocket knife steel. If someone is expecting S110V edge-holding, they’ll be disappointed. VG-10 excels as a base steel. And it’s very easy to resharpen to a very sharp edge.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Echo, echo, echo. Good stuff.

But since you’re new here, know that Spyderco does not offer crap steels.

The steels it does offer will require something of you, and not all require the same thing.

It’s on you to learn those requirements, as here.

But even if you buy blindly, you will enjoy learning what you’ve gotten yourself into ‘cause someone here will thrown a lifeline but fast.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There is a narrative that says VG-10, and S30V for that matter, are outdated. The reality is both are still great steels, and do very well for almost all users and uses. Many new Spyderco designs come out with these steels, because honestly, they are very good.
sal

Post by sal »

VG-10 was developed by Takefu for making very sharp knives used for grafting cuts on plants.

S30V was created to be a blade steel from the git-go.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 pm
I’m not a steel authority, but here’s my take from years of using Spyderco knives...

VG-10 is one of my favorite steels. I like it much more than S30V, and I like S30V. And VG-10 is good in both PE and SE.
Jim just hit the nail directly on the center of the head. When he mentions that VG-10 is great in SE & PE both he's not kidding. And there are very few blade steels that I make that statement about. Because most blade steels I've used over the years usually are good in one edge type. But the properties of VG-10 make it great for both edge types. That's one of the reasons that my VG-10 "user" knives probably get more use than most anything else I like.

You can't go wrong with VG-10. It's modestly priced and is relatively easy to sharpen in both edge types. It's corrosion resistant and takes a really nice working edge. Great blade steel to start out with if you're new to Spyderco.
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Due to my modest collection, most of my experience comes from sharpening my friend’s knives. Those usually come in S30v or VG-10; of the two VG-10 is my favorite. It’s quick and easy to sharpen and takes a hair-curling edge off the Sharpmaker fine stones. If you enjoy sharpening VG-10 makes a very fun, useable steel. I’m all in :D
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I can't speak about ATS-55, but I prefer VG10 to S30V for a number of reasons. VG10 does sharpen easily, but it also fairly corrosion resistant. A few years ago I cycled everywhere. On average it was 20 miles per day, year round, rain or shine, day or night, and even in snow. I carried a Delica most of the time, and it was drenched in sweat every day, got rained on, etc., but I never once worried about corrosion. I never rinsed the blade off or wiped it down, and never saw even a hint of rust. Even some of my 50 mile + rides in the middle of summer, weren't enough to make VG10 rust. I have had S30V develop a few spots of rust though.

One of my favorite qualities of VG10 is it's ability to be stropped once the edge starts to dull, to bring back a razor-sharp edge, without wasting steel by sharpening too often. That is, assuming there is no edge damage. I used to dull my Delica daily (cutting a lot of cardboard) and strop the edge back each night, followed by a full sharpening on the weekends. This saved a lot of steel and time. I started out with black stropping compound, but switched to 1 micron diamond spray. Both worked, but the diamond spray made stropping more efficient.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

JD, I've never tried VG-10 serrated, probably because I love H1 SE so much.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:51 pm
JD, I've never tried VG-10 serrated, probably because I love H1 SE so much.
You’re in for a treat!
I highly recommend the serrated endela
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
benben

Post by benben »

My last two buys, a saber grind Delica and an old C60 Ayoob find, both VG-10 of course. Great user steel, easy to sharpen and maintain, and super easy to get screaming sharp! I like it a lot!