New Member looking for advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kriscole

New Member looking for advice

Post by kriscole »

Hey everyone! I’ve just gotten back into knives after a 5+ yr absence. I recently purchased a para 3 from SMKW that actually came with titanium scales. I’ve already done a skinny mod to my g10 scales and like it more than the titanium. Anyways here are my questions. What is the biggest area of opportunity for custom knife work right now? As well as does anyone know where I can purchase extra blades? I’m specifically looking for a para 2 blade to do some experimenting with my para 2 frame. I’ve also been working on some designs and I’m gauging interest. One is for an accessory that uses a button type design to push down the compression lock. I’m working on a simple, removal accessory, as well as an option that will work with custom scales that I would be manufacturing. The second is a small crescent shape accessory that attaches to the blade hole similar to the pick pocket wave from 5x5. It wraps around 30-40% of the outside of the whole and makes ledge for easier activation. It is equal width from the blade as standard g10 scales. My reasoning is I actually deploy my para 3 with my pointer finger. My pointer finger is basically parallel to the blade while my support finger tips push into the pocket clip. I get almost instant deployment from the pocket since I actually pull it out of my pocket with that same grip. I’m working on the ledge accessory just for ease of use as well as it can be an aid in a tactical application due to instant draw and deployment. I’m figuring out if it’s better to go with a polymer material made to match the g10 color options and texture, or a metal of some sort. Any feed back on one, or all of my questions would be greatly appreciated. I’m stoked there is a forum full of knife junkies like myself for me to converse with!
God • Family • Freedom
TazKristi

Re: New Member looking for advice

Post by TazKristi »

kriscole wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:04 pm
Hey everyone! I’ve just gotten back into knives after a 5+ yr absence. ...
Hi, kriscole:
Welcome to our forum. We have an excellent community here filled with a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure our members will be happy to answer your questions.

Just a friendly reminder, please be sure to review our forum rules. We don't allow buying, selling, trading, or advertising. I have a feeling we're on a really fine line with some of your questions and just want to be sure that we don't cross that line.

We look forward to your participation and hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

welcome to the forum, blades by themselves are probably non-existent, but maybe you could find a used PM2 on ebay for a good price?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kriscole wrote:
Hey everyone! I’ve just gotten back into knives after a 5+ yr absence. I recently purchased a para 3 from SMKW that actually came with titanium scales. I’ve already done a skinny mod to my g10 scales and like it more than the titanium. Anyways here are my questions. What is the biggest area of opportunity for custom knife work right now? As well as does anyone know where I can purchase extra blades? I’m specifically looking for a para 2 blade to do some experimenting with my para 2 frame. I’ve also been working on some designs and I’m gauging interest. One is for an accessory that uses a button type design to push down the compression lock. I’m working on a simple, removal accessory, as well as an option that will work with custom scales that I would be manufacturing.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Actually, I replied to your post yesterday already, but it suddenly was gone

- Spare blades are not sold by Spyderco as far as I am aware of. I think this would be hard to do concerning storage and organisation, given how many models there are, how often they get cqui-ed and how well the tolerances and quality standards are

- I am sure you know that there already is a model that has a button compression lock: The Smock.
Though I understand you´re thinking of something different, kind of like an aftermarket button for the comp. lock, right?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

bladeswelove has a "PM2 Ultra" with a custom titanium lock release. I'd imagine they're working on a Para 3 version. DISCLAIMER: I've never seen or tried the PM2 Ultra so I can't speak for the quality. A lot of people are happy with his other mods but I think this one is pretty new and I haven't seen any feedback on it.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
kriscole

Post by kriscole »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:32 pm
kriscole wrote:
Hey everyone! I’ve just gotten back into knives after a 5+ yr absence. ...
Hi, kriscole:
Welcome to our forum. We have an excellent community here filled with a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure our members will be happy to answer your questions.

Just a friendly reminder, please be sure to review our forum rules. We don't allow buying, selling, trading, or advertising. I have a feeling we're on a really fine line with some of your questions and just want to be sure that we don't cross that line.

We look forward to your participation and hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
I apologize for seeming to ride a thin line beside going against some of the rules! Thank you for responding to me. I am 100% looking for advice, feedback, and knowledge only. I am nowhere near a place to look for business. I’m just needing help, and I’ve actually been getting a lot of it! I’m very grateful to be here. I’ll be sure to be more cognizant on my future posts to stick to the guidelines. Thank you!
God • Family • Freedom
kriscole

Post by kriscole »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:57 pm
welcome to the forum, blades by themselves are probably non-existent, but maybe you could find a used PM2 on ebay for a good price?
This is actually what I’ve decided to do. I’m going to do a complete custom job on my Yojimbo, and then try to sell it to buy a PM2. I’ve got to many knives now that to justify more, I have to start letting some go :( such is life. My thought is atleast if I get a full PM2, then I have a whole other great knife if I don’t like the blade swap! I’ve actually been really curious to see if it’s possible to do a skinny mod on a pm2. It would require making 1 off scales for it and trimming some of the liner, but it’s worth a shot I feel like. I’ve just recently heard of the factory seconds sale. I’m hoping I can manage my way there, or buy a pm2 from someone who does.
God • Family • Freedom
kriscole

Post by kriscole »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:17 am
kriscole wrote:
Hey everyone! I’ve just gotten back into knives after a 5+ yr absence. I recently purchased a para 3 from SMKW that actually came with titanium scales. I’ve already done a skinny mod to my g10 scales and like it more than the titanium. Anyways here are my questions. What is the biggest area of opportunity for custom knife work right now? As well as does anyone know where I can purchase extra blades? I’m specifically looking for a para 2 blade to do some experimenting with my para 2 frame. I’ve also been working on some designs and I’m gauging interest. One is for an accessory that uses a button type design to push down the compression lock. I’m working on a simple, removal accessory, as well as an option that will work with custom scales that I would be manufacturing.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Actually, I replied to your post yesterday already, but it suddenly was gone

- Spare blades are not sold by Spyderco as far as I am aware of. I think this would be hard to do concerning storage and organisation, given how many models there are, how often they get cqui-ed and how well the tolerances and quality standards are

- I am sure you know that there already is a model that has a button compression lock: The Smock.
Though I understand you´re thinking of something different, kind of like an aftermarket button for the comp. lock, right?
You are right. Thank you for the reply by the way! I’m sorry I’m so late getting back to you. I’m just now finding out how to see replies on here. I thought I was more savvy haha. But yes, I’m thinking of something aftermarket and I’ll explain. My first spyderco was a Yojimbo. I got it for a really good deal and was desperate to get a compression lock spyderco and didn’t want to wait until I went to SMKW literally two days later. Anyways, after getting it, within a day I had developed a horrible blister on my pointer finger from fidgeting with the knife. It was much stiffer than I expected, but even more so I blamed how the Yojimbo has such a small little space for you to push the lock. I didn’t realize until much later that it is that way because the blade leaves no room for a bigger cut out on the scale. However my wheel where already turning on an after market piece that could be attacked to any of the main models compression lock, and work like a push button to where you can decompress the lock from the outside of the handle instead of having to pinch the back. It would mainly be something for people who play with their knife alooot. I Always care my para 3 or Yojimbo for use, but also to use it like a fidget spinner. I’m trying to see if I can just make a piece to attach to outside of the lock tab itself and be used with standard scales. I’ve always been thinking about making scales that can screw right on and have the piece work with it. The scales idea is because first I just like making scales, but second because if I make a piece that kind is slides over the tab without being screwed on I might need slightly more space cut out underneath the tab if that makes sense. What are your thoughts? Do you think it sounds interesting? Also do you have any ideas on the actually design?
God • Family • Freedom
kriscole

Post by kriscole »

Bamalt1 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:45 pm
bladeswelove has a "PM2 Ultra" with a custom titanium lock release. I'd imagine they're working on a Para 3 version. DISCLAIMER: I've never seen or tried the PM2 Ultra so I can't speak for the quality. A lot of people are happy with his other mods but I think this one is pretty new and I haven't seen any feedback on it.
Wow! His knives are actually making me drool a little. That actually along the lines of what I was thinking! The main difference is I want to make a product that anyone can attack to their knife without any modification or stress. Something cheap and easy to put on while only coming off if you want it too. I’m actually thinking of making a piece that just slides right onto the compression lock tab on the back, the the “push” button having a top that beautifully fills in the cut out on the opposite scale. If I can do it right, it could be an attractive simple piece of “bling” or just blend smoothly with the existing look. Thank you for telling me about his work. I am blown away and excited today see this idea I’ve had basically done!
God • Family • Freedom