New here & just bought 3 knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: New here & just bought 3 knives

Post by Bill1170 »

Welcome, Black Pearl. It’s nice to see such enthusiasm from a new member here. It’s been a few posts since someone recommended the Sharpmaker, so I’ll do it again. All knives dull with use, therefore sharpening them is part of the hobby. Definitely watch the video on how to use it.

The Delica was my first Spyderco knife, and it is a very evolved design, good for all-around use. The narrow blade on the full flat ground models will outcut many knives at higher price points. The colorful FRN handles are a delight for the eye.
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 pm
Welcome, Black Pearl. It’s nice to see such enthusiasm from a new member here. It’s been a few posts since someone recommended the Sharpmaker, so I’ll do it again. All knives dull with use, therefore sharpening them is part of the hobby. Definitely watch the video on how to use it.

The Delica was my first Spyderco knife, and it is a very evolved design, good for all-around use. The narrow blade on the full flat ground models will outcut many knives at higher price points. The colorful FRN handles are a delight for the eye.
Hi!

I’m waiting patiently for my Delica K390 to arrive! Yes I like fun/colorful handles; less intimidating.

Yes I will have to get a Sharpmaker for sure. Thanks for the reminder!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blackpearl wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:34 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi!

I’m waiting patiently for my Delica K390 to arrive! Yes I like fun/colorful handles; less intimidating.

Yes I will have to get a Sharpmaker for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

As said already: Imho with your Delica and Chap imho you´ll then already own the two best of the small Spyderco models! :) (ok, now there is the Watu, which I don´t have but find very appealing) - totally subjective of course, and ymmv.
"Problem" is: If you´re like me, from a performance point of view all the other, more thick bladed small models might loose attraction.. I can recall, when I still had my Native 5 FRN (generally a great knife!) and directly compared its 3mm stock blade to the 2mm of the Chap, the Native blade always seemed somewhat overbuilt, "chunky" and just less good at pure cutting. While the Chap was (and is) still strong enough for any task I put it through. Just my 2c.

I strongly second the recommendation of getting a sharpmaker!
"Problem" there is: You´ll have to sharpen all the knives you are going to gift to others for them... ;) (and I´d recommend getting the CBN (or diamond) rods for the sharpmaker, should you have to sharpene really dulled blades. The sharpmaker in its standard confiuration is very good at keeping knives sharp, but in order to bring back really dull blades (especially with harder steels) the CBN rods are very helpfull)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:40 pm
Hi Aicolainen,

I don't remember welcoming you. sorry. Welcome to our forum.
You did, at least once, so thank you!
I wasn't here with any regularity in the beginning, but seem like I am now :-)