Demand and Supply of New Salt Series Knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mugman16

Demand and Supply of New Salt Series Knives?

Post by Mugman16 »

I have fallen in love with Lc200n salt knives as an EDC. The ability to slice food or generally get the knife dirty being such a non-issue as you can simply run the entire knife under running water with soap is fantastic for me. I am curious how focused on the salt series Spyderco is, and how much the general population agrees with me that the salt series should see far more Lc200n models + new models in general of already existing knives in a salt format.

P.s. more salt knives plz sal ;-;
JRinFL

Re: Demand and Supply of New Salt Series Knives?

Post by JRinFL »

I've cleaned most of my knives that way, even the non-Salt models without any corrosion issues. I'm not sure I want to pay more for a full Salt knife if I don't have the need.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mugman16

Post by Mugman16 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:14 am
I've cleaned most of my knives that way, even the non-Salt models without any corrosion issues. I'm not sure I want to pay more for a full Salt knife if I don't have the need.
yeah but i mean all up in the guts too, like inside the locking mechanism and pivot. def shouldnt be cleaning that out with water and soap, you should probably use isopropyl alcohol for that. the premium on salt knives does exist but there are def economical models like the native 5 salt (which has terrible action but is great in every other facet).
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There is a push for a Salt Para 2, and I would imagine Eric and Sal have few more up their collective sleeves as well. With limited production capacity, I would not want it all to go to more expensive Salt models is my point, I guess. I'm not a opposed to new Salt models. :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Any model I've purchased, I'd buy a second time if they make it a Salt. Police, Manix XL, Street Beat.....

The convenience of a totally rust proof folder means more to me than any edge holding improvements we've seen since VG10 came on the scene.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I was literally just posting in Michael's innovation thread about how the innovation I want is a dishwasher safe Salt series folding steak knife. The Pacific Salt is close, but it needs a thinner FFG PE LC200N blade, and I want to know it is in fact dishwasher safe. I have run my Salts through the dishwasher many times with no noticeable harm, but I am not sure that is good long term. If Spyderco can research this and tweak the FRN if needed to guarantee a dishwasher safe knife, that would be pretty impressive. So many people seem to use their folders for food prep (even in the house when kitchen knives are presumably handy...which I dont get) that it just makes sense to be able to advertise the Salt series as rust-proof (which I am not sure they are 100% there yet...maybe 99.5%) and dishwasher safe.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mugman16

Post by Mugman16 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:31 am
There is a push for a Salt Para 2, and I would imagine Eric and Sal have few more up their collective sleeves as well. With limited production capacity, I would not want it all to go to more expensive Salt models is my point, I guess. I'm not a opposed to new Salt models. :)
yeah id buy a salt para 2 in a heartbeat. if it were up to me lc200n and salt components would be the main production of Spyderco but I realize that's an extremely controversial opinion. For me I'd just be extremely happy if generally popular models (smock, sage, shaman, etc etc) would have salt models, even as sprint runs. i think salt models are just the coolest cats in the litterbox if you cant tell.
PStone

Post by PStone »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:43 am
I was literally just posting in Michael's innovation thread about how the innovation I want is a dishwasher safe Salt series folding steak knife. The Pacific Salt is close, but it needs a thinner FFG PE LC200N blade, and I want to know it is in fact dishwasher safe. I have run my Salts through the dishwasher many times with no noticeable harm, but I am not sure that is good long term. If Spyderco can research this and tweak the FRN if needed to guarantee a dishwasher safe knife, that would be pretty impressive. So many people seem to use their folders for food prep (even in the house when kitchen knives are presumably handy...which I dont get) that it just makes sense to be able to advertise the Salt series as rust-proof (which I am not sure they are 100% there yet...maybe 99.5%) and dishwasher safe.
How would you feel about a full SE Spydiechef? That’s what I want most. I always thought we would eventually see one.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

PStone wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:48 am
steelcity16 wrote:
How would you feel about a full SE Spydiechef? That’s what I want most. I always thought we would eventually see one.

It's not for me, but I know a lot of people are big fans so I am also surprised we haven't seen it! I hope for you it happens! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 am
It's not for me, but I know a lot of people are big fans so I am also surprised we haven't seen it! I hope for you it happens! :D
Roger that. Thanks too. Maybe I’ll start a new thread and try to gain some supporters.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm guessing the next new salt will be a para 3 lw salt in lc200n. we'll probably see a pm2 lw that eventually turns into a salt as well. personally, i'd love to see more lined g10 salts like the caribbean, but i'm sure it's more cost effective to use less lc200n like the para 3 lw will. i gave up waiting and just ordered a caribbean, but a manix 2 salt in g10 with dlc lc200n would pretty much be my dream.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:14 am
+1

I clean all of my knives with soap and water, without issue.

I just wipe it down, after washing. With tool steels, I will do some additional air drying afterwards with a small desk fan and then reapply oil to the pivot area.

I would personally rather see more SS clad tool steels for food prep applications. In my opinion, HAP40/SUS410 is better for food prep applications (where you hand wash and dry your knives).

LC200N is better for conditions where the knife will be immersed in water for long periods of time (kayaking, diving, dishwashing, etc.). I don't necessarily think that putting folding knives in a dishwasher provides much advantage, if you need to relubricate the pivot, after washing. However, I do agree that LC200N is probably the best steel available for that kind of use.
araneae

Post by araneae »

If you dry it properly and lube appropriately, soap and water is cool for pretty much any knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

PStone wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:16 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:51 am
Roger that. Thanks too. Maybe I’ll start a new thread and try to gain some supporters.
Do it. I would most likely be in for one. :spyder: :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:

I don´t need the total rustproofness of the Salt knives, but I´ll jump on any train that advocates for an FFG Endura / Pac Salt folder that might also come in spyderedge

@ steelcity: Not cause I am a quite newly converted SE-fan (and I am), but generally: Don´t you think that especially on Steaks a shallow serrated knife might work better than PE?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I challenge all here to use a Siren, then tell me it is not close to being the perfect Spydie (which, I hasten to add, does not make me love my other Spydies any the less).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:22 am
I challenge all here to use a Siren, then tell me it is not close to being the perfect Spydie (which, I hasten to add, does not make me love my other Spydies any the less).

I WILL eventually, that´s for sure!!

And I might very well agree with you, but for me it would have to get an SE version first.
And "my" perfect Spydie has to have FRN scales to be really perfect (which does not mean that G10 is a deal breaker at all, just slightly less preferred by me).

So: Hoping for an yellow or bright green FRN SE Siren! :D
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 am

@ steelcity: Not cause I am a quite newly converted SE-fan (and I am), but generally: Don´t you think that especially on Steaks a shallow serrated knife might work better than PE?

I think it is a preference thing. They certainly sell a lot of serrated edge steak knives, but I believe that's more a function of not wanting complaints from people when a PE would dull after a few uses cutting steak on ceramic plates. I personally have and prefer thin sharp PE steak knives. I like the way I can make clean thin slices on the bias through a nice juicy medium rare ribeye! Just talking about it it making me think we need to have some steaks for dinner tonight! :D

Here are mine. They actually stay quite sharp even cutting on ceramic plates. Some people go as far as using wooden plates so their knives don't dull as quickly.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 am

I think it is a preference thing. They certainly sell a lot of serrated edge steak knives, but I believe that's more a function of not wanting complaints from people when a PE would dull after a few uses cutting steak on ceramic plates. I personally have and prefer thin sharp PE steak knives. I like the way I can make clean thin slices on the bias through a nice juicy medium rare ribeye! Just talking about it it making me think we need to have some steaks for dinner tonight! :D

Here are mine. They actually stay quite sharp even cutting on ceramic plates. Some people go as far as using wooden plates so their knives don't dull as quickly.

Thanks! :)

You certainly know more about steak knives than I do!
vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:22 am
As someone that did just that, I can't think of anything I'd ever use a single blade folder for that I can't do with my PE Siren and SE Pacific Salt. Those two have my bases covered.
:unicorn