Idea for a complement to the sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Idea for a complement to the sharpmaker

Post by Sonorum »

Since buying additional tri-angle stones for the sharpmaker I haven't found a good way to store everything together.

What I would like is a small open topped box that fits four additional stones and that could be squeezed on the bottom of the sharpmaker base.

Four stones should fit.

If Spyderco would make one, I'd buy one immediately!
/ David
Cambertree

Re: Idea for a complement to the sharpmaker

Post by Cambertree »

Great idea! Yes, I’m always toting around a bag with the UF and diamond rods, whenever I carry the Sharpmaker somewhere.

I’d definitely be up for a proper carrying case. I’ve been meaning to commission a woodworker to make one for a while now.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

With judicious use of a table saw and some scrap you could make 8 45* angled cuts to create 4 triangular grooves of the appropriate depth, then screw/glue a piece of 1/8” Masonite, plywood, or other thin wood stock over the grooves. Screw/glue the same over one end as a permanent cap; cut a piece to fit the other end and secure it with a single screw in the center. Simply spin this end cap to access the extra rods. Then screw the sharpmaker base to your new wooden storage block. Set your finished length such that placing the cover on the plastic base holds the opening end of your wood box shut to prevent accidental opening. Use a pair of the purple rubber bands that come with asparagus wrapped around the whole thing to keep the lid on. I use the rubber bands that come on broccoli to keep my sharpmaker lid on as it is.

In the meantime, get a can of Barkeeper’s Friend - those rods need a scouring!
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:27 am
With judicious use of a table saw and some scrap you could make 8 45* angled cuts to create 4 triangular grooves of the appropriate depth, then screw/glue a piece of 1/8” Masonite, plywood, or other thin wood stock over the grooves. Screw/glue the same over one end as a permanent cap; cut a piece to fit the other end and secure it with a single screw in the center. Simply spin this end cap to access the extra rods. Then screw the sharpmaker base to your new wooden storage block. Set your finished length such that placing the cover on the plastic base holds the opening end of your wood box shut to prevent accidental opening. Use a pair of the purple rubber bands that come with asparagus wrapped around the whole thing to keep the lid on. I use the rubber bands that come on broccoli to keep my sharpmaker lid on as it is.

In the meantime, get a can of Barkeeper’s Friend - those rods need a scouring!
Yeah I've been playing around with DIY solutions but I figured this could be a great thing for Spyderco to manufacture. Pretty sure you could make something good with a 3d printer as well.

I've been trying to figure out what bar keepers friend would be called in Sweden.
/ David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am
...Pretty sure you could make something good with a 3d printer as well.
Hmm...I'll take a look at mine later. Problem might be getting it to fit just right so it doesn't fall off easily and break the stones
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

and... if the piece that snapped on to the existing base had molded triangle grooves like the underside of the sharpmaker has, you could lay four stones next to each other for a wider bench stone option.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 am
Sonorum wrote:
Hmm...I'll take a look at mine later. Problem might be getting it to fit just right so it doesn't fall off easily and break the stones
I usually have a rubber band around my sharpmaker but I get what you're saying. I guess you could have a flexible band attached on on side so you could stretch it over the top to the other side, latching the top down if you like.

I think I'll make a prototype out of my 3d printer (cardboard) :p
/ David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:31 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sonorum wrote:
I usually have a rubber band around my sharpmaker but I get what you're saying. I guess you could have a flexible band attached on on side so you could stretch it over the top to the other side, latching the top down if you like.

It might be possible to make it so it slides on from one end. That way the sides could come up high enough to partially cover the top. We'll see what I can come up with when I have time to fire up my CAD program
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:37 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:31 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sonorum wrote:

It might be possible to make it so it slides on from one end. That way the sides could come up high enough to partially cover the top. We'll see what I can come up with when I have time to fire up my CAD program
That's a smart solution! Maybe it could snap into/lock onto one of the screw holes on the back. Sort of like how kydex sheaths snap
/ David
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

I think just a new base is needed. A bottom piece that held four stones and the sharpmaker should be not too tough
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sonorum wrote:
I've been trying to figure out what bar keepers friend would be called in Sweden.
The working ingredient of Bar Keepers Friend is Oxalic acid. Any powdered cleaner available in Sweden with oxalic acid should work just as well as BKF.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

odomandr wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:49 pm
I think just a new base is needed. A bottom piece that held four stones and the sharpmaker should be not too tough
Yes a new base could also work. Maybe a thicker bottom with four triangular slots in it so that you could store the UF and the diamond rods. The lid could go down past the holes so that they don't fall out.

The downside is that it is probably more expensive with new base and lid compared to a small box that you just stick to the bottom. Meaning less customers and less likelihood of us getting it.
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:58 pm
Sonorum wrote:
The working ingredient of Bar Keepers Friend is Oxalic acid. Any powdered cleaner available in Sweden with oxalic acid should work just as well as BKF.
Thanks!
/ David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

"Hi there, Sharpmaker! You are a great tool, and do an incredible job of keeping our knives sharp!"

Oops, not that kind of compliment.
Last edited by cabfrank on Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

"You are in incredible tool" doesn't actually sound like much of a compliment, but maybe I'm showing my age and that slang term is out of use now. ;)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

odomandr wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:49 pm
That might be easier said than done considering how much it costs to have molds made. Also, not everyone needs the accessory stones. I was happy with the medium and fine stones that came with my 203MF for years. It wasn't until I got back into knives a few years ago that I decided to buy the UF and CBN stones. Now that I have my Hapstone I rarely use those extra stones. I'm back to primarily using the fine and medium stones that came with my 204
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:02 pm
"Hi there, Sharpmaker! You are an incredible tool, and do a great job at keeping our knives sharp!"

Oops, not that kind of compliment.
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:04 pm
"You are in incredible tool" doesn't actually sound like much of a compliment, but maybe I'm showing my age and that slang term is out of use now. ;)
Haha :D
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You have a good point. I should have said great tool, incredible job I think.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:04 pm
I'm gonna put this on my sharpmaker! :D
/ David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Changed it, Tom. It did sound dubious.