Heine Heines Exlusive UKPK delayed... Again.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bart Budie

Re: Heine Heines Exlusive UKPK delayed... Again.

Post by Bart Budie »

also still waiting for my HH ukpk, ordered before Covid hit the fence ;-)

I also like the idea of a spy27 or S45VN ukpk model, and as a addition also an Urban in the same steel, LW or G10.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:27 pm
Well, orange anything is not going to sell as well as another color, though I like orange. Patriot or Cadet blue and SPY27 would be pretty nice, or S45VN.
They also made them with black and foliage green G10. There were a couple different blade shapes too. I was simply responding to the question..."why isn't this a production model?". I can't say exactly why the G10 UKPKs were discontinued but the fact is they already were regular production items.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:37 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Well, orange anything is not going to sell as well as another color, though I like orange. Patriot or Cadet blue and SPY27 would be pretty nice, or S45VN.
They also made them with black and foliage green G10. There were a couple different blade shapes too. I was simply responding to the question..."why isn't this a production model?". I can't say exactly why the G10 UKPKs were discontinued but the fact is they already were regular production items.
Yes, I remember. I did not like the UKPK at all. But the current iteration is one of my most used knives. I think the current UKPK is so much better than the older that I think it would sell in linerless G10, now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:49 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Yes, I remember. I did not like the UKPK at all. But the current iteration is one of my most used knives. I think the current UKPK is so much better than the older that I think it would sell in linerless G10, now.
Dan, they've always been linerless. The only real change (aside from color) that I'm aware of is how they do the spring. I do agree that it is an improvement but to me it's more of a subtle change than a big one. I certainly wouldn't argue if they want to make the G10 UKPK a regular catalog item again
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

Personally I’m more ironically amused in that I gave up waiting for a new regular production G10 version and finally preordered the HH run—and now am still waiting. It’s like the universe said: “keep waiting buddy!”

This is not a complaint against HH or Spyderco. Just a situation I find personally humorous like some kind of Month Python quest. :D

I’d best be on guard for the Knights who say “Ni”!
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:28 pm
Superfool wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:19 pm
Yeah.
It is super annoying.

I placed an order for this in 2019, and finally messaged HH in in April, to find out what was going on. They replied saying should be June 2020. I thought that it was a fairly weak effort on their behalf no to be more upfront, and told them so. It feels like I have waited over a year for this thing, and we are still in the dark.
Have you considered that maybe it's out of their control and they don't have as much info as you might think? Sal has said it can be a year before exclusives get into production. I'm sure sometimes longer. Have a little patience
Superfool wrote:
But really, why isn't this a production model? They could change the G10 colour every year, maybe mix up the blade shape, add serrations, etc.
It was a production model. I have one that's orange G10/S30V. For whatever reason Spyderco discontinued it. Usually that's due to poor sales and the need to make production room for new models
I am unhappy with the lack of communication. 8 months wait with no communication for something with an advertised wait time on 6 weeks, is not acceptable.

Judging by the updates we are now getting, I am guessing other people said something too.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:56 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:49 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Dan, they've always been linerless. The only real change (aside from color) that I'm aware of is how they do the spring. I do agree that it is an improvement but to me it's more of a subtle change than a big one. I certainly wouldn't argue if they want to make the G10 UKPK a regular catalog item again
Yes, I know. But the CQI changes made this a knife I actually carry and use. Before, I thought it was an also ran.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Superfool wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Superfool wrote:
Yeah.
It is super annoying.

I placed an order for this in 2019, and finally messaged HH in in April, to find out what was going on. They replied saying should be June 2020. I thought that it was a fairly weak effort on their behalf no to be more upfront, and told them so. It feels like I have waited over a year for this thing, and we are still in the dark.
Have you considered that maybe it's out of their control and they don't have as much info as you might think? Sal has said it can be a year before exclusives get into production. I'm sure sometimes longer. Have a little patience
Superfool wrote:
But really, why isn't this a production model? They could change the G10 colour every year, maybe mix up the blade shape, add serrations, etc.
It was a production model. I have one that's orange G10/S30V. For whatever reason Spyderco discontinued it. Usually that's due to poor sales and the need to make production room for new models
I am unhappy with the lack of communication. 8 months wait with no communication for something with an advertised wait time on 6 weeks, is not acceptable.

Judging by the updates we are now getting, I am guessing other people said something too.
I've preordered several knives that have been delayed well beyond the expected ship date and I can't recall any of the vendors ever sending any updates. I haven't been waiting as long as you, placed my order in May, but I received an email in June and this latest message informing me of the delay so I've been impressed with the communication from HH.

PS
Looking forward to the Damasteel UKPK you spearheaded here. :)
-Turbo
Rab

Post by Rab »

I ordered back around xmas/new year. My only worry is when it turns up it doesn't get much pocket time as I've picked up a couple of urbans in the meantime.
I'd like to see the drop point version with different scales though. In fact I don't like black scales on UK legal knives. Denim blue FRN or brown g10 would be my choice for an edc blade.

And if there was ever a pakkawood wharncliffe UKPK....
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

So, does anyone know when the HH UKPKs will land?
Has anyone had any updates?
David

timlara

Post by timlara »

Another vote for a Spy27 regular production model.
Tim
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'll vote for either SPY27 or K390 with G10.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 am
Superfool wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Superfool wrote:
Yeah.
It is super annoying.

Superfool wrote:

I've preordered several knives that have been delayed well beyond the expected ship date and I can't recall any of the vendors ever sending any updates. I haven't been waiting as long as you, placed my order in May, but I received an email in June and this latest message informing me of the delay so I've been impressed with the communication from HH.

PS
Looking forward to the Damasteel UKPK you spearheaded here. :)
Just realised you replied to me, and I didn't see it.

I think before I suggested and then did the cat-herd that was the Damasteel UKPK, I had never really grasped the amount of hassle, prep an planning that goes into these things. I probably still don't really.
David

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Superfool,

HH re-ordered their exclusive model last year, I believe in August. I thought they should have ordered months before they did. The Golden plant is really backed up and just getting their order in the queue was challenging. As you said, there is far more that goes onto setting a model in motion than you might be aware of. The Damascus UK you spoke of back then is still not in the queue due to prior orders.

Some of my newer designs like the Rock Jumper were designed 2+ years before they actually came out and that was from Seki, which is not as backed up as Golden.

In my opinion, HH should order their next order NOW, or suffer the same back up they are now experiencing.

Also COVID really moved a lot of production back. Some of my newer designs for Golden, have not yet been put into queue

sal