Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Post by Evil D »

Scheduled to arrive Tuesday. Now we wait.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Can´t wait to "test drive" this model in SE, especially in one of its natural habitats (climbing...) :)

But sadly I guess I´ll actually HAVE to wait.. :( ... My new Manix 2 LW in REX 45 and the must have Pac Salt ffg SE don´t leave enough funds at the moment.

Good thing that the Rock Jumper is regular production... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Mine should be here Monday!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:26 pm

Makes you hate the weekends, right?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:26 pm

Makes you hate the weekends, right?

I'm off work Tuesday so it should work out just right

🤞
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

really hoping this model does well enough to get some steel variations, love the design.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I fearlessly predict that will happen.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:46 pm
really hoping this model does well enough to get some steel variations, love the design.
K390? :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:00 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:

Actually a question I´ve asked somewhere else before:

- Does the Rock Jumper technically belong to the "Endura family" or not?
This is not about "classification", but has the implication, that if the whole "family" comes out in a specific steel (like it is the case with K390 or was with HAP40) the Rock Jumper would get that treatment too - or not.

For me it actually is a "member": Seki city, black FRN with the Seki pattern, backlock, VG10 in the base model, clip style, all speaks for that. And as for example the Stretch shows: An "Endura family member" does not necessarely have to come with that typical a bit longer Ricasso (and so the Stretch has a choil instead while the Rock Jumper on the flipside has almost no Ricasso).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

So I really want this and a leaf jumper because I know I will like the handle, but I just realised something.

Does it not have jimping on the thumb ramp? If so that is a bit disappointing.

Edit.
Just read through the thread.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:48 pm
So I really want this and a leaf jumper because I know I will like the handle, but I just realised something.

Does it not have jimping on the thumb ramp? If so that is a bit disappointing.

Edit.
Just read through the thread.

You read through the whole thread now anyway, but for folks who might have not: No jimping indeed(I personally don´t mind that), but it is easy to add with a file if one happens to like it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am not even sure if the lack of jumping is a problem. Yes, jumping provides additional trackion, but the thumb ramp is quite steep, so I dont personally think that this will be an issue.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:08 am
standy99 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:05 am
Same Same but different.

I own the Delica wharncliffe so probably will not be getting a rock jumper as the knives are very similar.

Am I missing something or are they similar enough to have one or the other.

Depends on how well the Delica fits your hand, and how important it is for you to not have snag points between the handle and edge. For me the Delica is pretty much obsolete after this knife comes out.
David,

Could you talk a little bit more about how the Delica fits your hands? I am loving having a Pac Salt 1 SE and the talk from you, Warstein and JD about SE knives wants me get another! Also I don't have a VG-10 or a Wharncliffe blade... so this is checking 3 boxes!

What do you not like about the handle on the Delica? Do you think this will be more neutral as it doesn't have the hump in the middle of the knife? Are your hands larger than normal?

Thanks my man. And looking forward to you getting the knife on Tuesday and hearing your reports!

Hamilton
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 am
Evil D wrote:
standy99 wrote:
Same Same but different.

I own the Delica wharncliffe so probably will not be getting a rock jumper as the knives are very similar.

Depends on how well the Delica fits your hand, and how important it is for you to not have snag points between the handle and edge. For me the Delica is pretty much obsolete after this knife comes out.
David,

Could you talk a little bit more about how the Delica fits your hands? I am loving having a Pac Salt 1 SE and the talk from you, Warstein and JD about SE knives wants me get another! Also I don't have a VG-10 or a Wharncliffe blade... so this is checking 3 boxes!

What do you not like about the handle on the Delica? Do you think this will be more neutral as it doesn't have the hump in the middle of the knife? Are your hands larger than normal?

Thanks my man. And looking forward to you getting the knife on Tuesday and hearing your reports!

Hamilton

I do have fairly large hands. It has been quite a while since I had a Delica so I can't show pics, but with the Endura for example the handle points either don't line up with my finger width, or when they do I have to grip the handle way back at the end of the grip, which puts my index finger a good inch or so away from the edge:

In that second pic you can see the points on the Endura 4 DO line up with my fingers, but only when I grip the handle at the bottom end. This does make my thumb placement on the blade/thumb ramp more comfortable, but I really don't like having my grip that far from the edge.

I'd rather grip the handle like this, and on the Endura 4 it does almost line up but my middle finger rides right on that first handle point and it actually gets worse than this when I close my fingers and grip the knife:

By comparision, the Rock Jumper will have a grip that's very similar to a Caribbean in size and grip shape, where there aren't any grooves/choils/points in the grip area, allowing my hand to grip wherever it happens to fall onto the handle, and it lets my fingers spread out comfortably when I squeeze down on the handle (I would think most peoples' fingers spread out and get wider when they squeeze the handle under harder use).

I think the bigger issue for me is that when you measure the width of my fingers/hand in a relaxed position it's much narrower than when I close my hand around something and flex my fingers and grip down on the handle.

The Rock Jumper specs look like the handle will be around 4.5 inches wide or just a bit under, which is a tad shorter than the Caribbean but I'm betting the actual grip area will be very similar and fit my hand quite well.
~David
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:47 am
hambone56rx wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 am
Evil D wrote:
standy99 wrote:
Same Same but different.

David,

Hamilton

I do have fairly large hands. It has been quite a while since I had a Delica so I can't show pics, but with the Endura for example the handle points either don't line up with my finger width, or when they do I have to grip the handle way back at the end of the grip, which puts my index finger a good inch or so away from the edge:

In that second pic you can see the points on the Endura 4 DO line up with my fingers, but only when I grip the handle at the bottom end. This does make my thumb placement on the blade/thumb ramp more comfortable, but I really don't like having my grip that far from the edge.

I'd rather grip the handle like this, and on the Endura 4 it does almost line up but my middle finger rides right on that first handle point and it actually gets worse than this when I close my fingers and grip the knife:

By comparision, the Rock Jumper will have a grip that's very similar to a Caribbean in size and grip shape, where there aren't any grooves/choils/points in the grip area, allowing my hand to grip wherever it happens to fall onto the handle, and it lets my fingers spread out comfortably when I squeeze down on the handle (I would think most peoples' fingers spread out and get wider when they squeeze the handle under harder use).

I think the bigger issue for me is that when you measure the width of my fingers/hand in a relaxed position it's much narrower than when I close my hand around something and flex my fingers and grip down on the handle.

The Rock Jumper specs look like the handle will be around 4.5 inches wide or just a bit under, which is a tad shorter than the Caribbean but I'm betting the actual grip area will be very similar and fit my hand quite well.
Thanks D! This sounds like a pretty legit knife!

Hamilton
tangent

Post by tangent »

Rock Jumper Salt in LC200N please. This would be a great outdoor knife.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:09 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:00 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:

Actually a question I´ve asked somewhere else before:

- Does the Rock Jumper technically belong to the "Endura family" or not?
This is not about "classification", but has the implication, that if the whole "family" comes out in a specific steel (like it is the case with K390 or was with HAP40) the Rock Jumper would get that treatment too - or not.

For me it actually is a "member": Seki city, black FRN with the Seki pattern, backlock, VG10 in the base model, clip style, all speaks for that. And as for example the Stretch shows: An "Endura family member" does not necessarely have to come with that typical a bit longer Ricasso (and so the Stretch has a choil instead while the Rock Jumper on the flipside has almost no Ricasso).
I’m not entirely sure it will count, however if the police 4 and the stretch are in the family than this one might be as well, but I have a feeling time and sales will tell...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006