Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hobnob

Re: Please Pardon the shameful sales pitch - Rock Jumper

Post by Hobnob »

Lots of new stuff in the works, but this one has my name on it. For my needs it checks all the boxes. Hope we don't have to wait too much longer.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Looking forward to trying the Rock Jumper. It’s no secret that the backlock is a favorite of mine. It may not be the most fidget friendly but it has a long list of characteristics that make it a strong and highly functional knife. There were a number of reasons I chose the lock for the Siren...safe to carry IWB, strong in use, safe and sure to close one handed without compromising grip, ambidextrous, easy to use in linerless designs (therefore easier to make it highly corrosion resistant).

To me, the backlock is like a lot of Spyderco’s knife designs. The more you use them and experience their functionality, the more sexy they get. It also doesn’t hurt that Spyderco’s backlocks are the smoothest and most solid in the business.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I hope that this is a beginning of an era with similar design implementation to Delica, Endura, Salt and alike, which have no choil anyway.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Shameful saless pitch didn't completely work, I was already sold the first time I saw a Rock Jumper..
Very keen to be holding one as well, or maybe both but will probably start with a PE.
Hoping this will be available soon enough to make it to a possible Portuguese trip in october.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My beloved SE wharnie Delica is all I need. I own three of them so ...enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I’d love to see a size comparison to the Wharncliffe Delica. I like the looks of the knife, but it looks pretty tall when it’s closed.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Is there an alert thread for the Rock Jumper yet?
sal

Post by sal »

They're here. I have production model. QC to go.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm

sal
Feel free to send me one and I'll post some comparison images. :D :D :D
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:

sal

Great news! :) (Also that they´re regular production, so one can´t miss out on the model)

Sal, a question if you don´t mind:

- The specs of the RockJumper list a blade length of 78mm (3.08") and an edge length of 72mm (2.83")
- Just from the depiction the almost non existent "Ricasso" can´t explain the difference of 6mm between blade and edge length (for comparison: Even a Delica has just 8mm difference), so how is this measured? When, like intended and obviously designed, the edge goes (almost) all the way to the handle?

(Edit: Maybe the blade length is measured along the spine?)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

sal wrote:

sal
Hooray!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:03 am
I’d love to see a size comparison to the Wharncliffe Delica. I like the looks of the knife, but it looks pretty tall when it’s closed.

Here (skip forward to 7:25) https://youtu.be/wMSdxtEa2GU&t=690s Eric shows the RockJumper together with the "regular" (not wharnie) Delica. Not a real comparison, but it might give you an idea - ?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Thanks Warstein. I missed that part of the video. It looks like it’s going to be rather chubby, so I might have to handle it before I buy .
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’m pretty sure this doesn’t have jimping on the hump of the blade, which makes this perfect for sliding knives with a larger hump in and out of your pocket!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:27 am
I’m pretty sure this doesn’t have jimping on the hump of the blade, which makes this perfect for sliding knives with a larger hump in and out of your pocket!

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty bummed myself about the lack of jimping and the lack of a boye dent. These should be standard features on any similar new models in my opinion. I'm hoping the Lil Native LW is a backlock with a boye dent, spine and choil jimping, and a wire clip.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 am
Dazen wrote:

I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty bummed myself about the lack of jimping and the lack of a boye dent. These should be standard features on any similar new models in my opinion. I'm hoping the Lil Native LW is a backlock with a boye dent, spine and choil jimping, and a wire clip.

Both can be added if you want them. The Boye dent is super easy to add with a Dremel, the jimping can be done with the right kind of file.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

Dazen wrote:
No jimping or dent is a big bummer IMO.
Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:39 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 am
Dazen wrote:

Both can be added if you want them. The Boye dent is super easy to add with a Dremel, the jimping can be done with the right kind of file.
I have added both several times. It's hard to jimp without looking pretty DIY. A dent is a bit easier. Neither come out as good as factory. Spyderco does the best jimping in the business and its sad when it isn't there from the get go IMO. I just have never come across a situation where I used a knife and thought, I wish my thumb slipped around a bit more on the ramp. Especially on an FRN knife made for using. I'll certainly be using this in the outdoors and at times with wet or dirty hands. Jimping is a huge help in grip stability and safety in use.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Really, really interested in the RockJumper's design—the proportions remind me a lot of the Polestar, which is one of the better ergonomic fits for my hand—but between my Yojimbo 2, blacked-out Yojimbo 2, Yojumbo (due to arrive next week), Endura 4 Wharncliffe PE, and Delica 4 Wharncliffe PE, I'm already good for Wharncliffe blades. But I'm sure I can find a reason to snag one (is "make every day 'Wharncliffe Wednesday'" a legit reason? :D).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:52 am
Thanks Warstein. I missed that part of the video. It looks like it’s going to be rather chubby, so I might have to handle it before I buy .
You´re welcome :)

To me the RockJumper looks just perfect. I really like taller blades though. Really looking forward to get one in SE...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

The distance between the handle and the edge is 4mm.

The tech specs were probably made from a prototype.

sal