Polestar lock enought solid?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jull

Polestar lock enought solid?

Post by Jull »

Hello
first i'm French and sorry for my english.

I'm "newbe" in knife world, i want a basic/cool aesthetic knife, for EDC and all task so i see the Polestar.

I'm not really envisaging to use knife for self defence, but if i have an edc knife i want one with a lock capable to do this task in securee without any risk of blade closing on the hand.

My question: I see the Polestar have fine metal part for liner lock, so can he do self defence task in total secure?

Thanks a lot.
sal

Re: Polestar lock enought solid?

Post by sal »

Hi Jull,

Welcome to our forum. Your English is fine.

I guess the answer to your question is: it depends on what you are thinking in self defense. If you are going to be doing moves like trapping or passing where the great pressure is on the spine of the blade, it's just my opinion, but I think I would look for a stronger lock. If you are thinking slashing where there is no pressure on the spine, it would work OK.

If you are concerned, fixed blade is best.

We have quite a few members into Martial Blade Craft and I'm sure you can get some good advice here.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Youre French, get a Fred Perrin design. Street beat is excellent.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I get why you want a Polestar, it's such a beautiful knife!

/ I know nothing about sd with knives, but since you say you're new to the knife world you might not be aware of Yojimbo and Yojumbo, both Spydercos designed by an expert with sd in mind.
They should be nice knives for general EDC tasks too.
If you're just looking for another lock than the linerlock: So many options in Spydercos lineup, especially with comp.lock and backlock... and don't forget the byrd line, if your budget should be tight. There the byrd Harrier has some similarities to the Polestar, but a backlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

In my only moment of self defense using a knife, I was using an assisted opening knife. Now, I carry a plain folder(with a frame lock) and am preparing to carry a fixed blade. There are too many attacks on citizens here in the USA at the moment, and while I have not yet carried a fixed blade during the Summer months...if things continue to spiral out of control, carrying such a knife may be warranted. A FIXED BLADE is the way to go for self defense.

I agree with @VooDooChild. I also recommend the Street Beat if it is legal where you are located because fixed blades are easier to deploy in self defense. Now, if you plan to practice deploying the knife, and can work the opening mechanism of the knife that you buy, under duress, then fine, use a folder or fixed blade.

Opening a folder under duress. Possibly while you are being attacked. It is not for the faint of heart.

The Yojimbo and Yojumbo are also fine Spyderco knives and have a compression lock. I have a few Yojimbo knives and will soon have a Yojumbo. I am not a fan of liner locks, although many swear by them. For a self defense knife, I prefer the back lock or compression lock.

There are a few members who have studied weapons related martial arts. I have dabbled in at least 5 really well known Filipino knife arts, and am no expert, but know where and how to cut/thrust.

I have many knives(80) and 20% are folders.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Welcome to the forums, Jull! As a self-defense instructor, I generally don’t recommend liner locks because they aren’t very strong (pressure against the spine of the blade causes them to disengage) or reliable (torquing the handle can accidentally disengage the lock if a finger comes into contact with it). The Delica and Endura models both feature a strong mid-lock mechanism that would be better for self-defense, and you can get both of them with the Emerson wave feature, which makes it easier to quickly open the knives under stress. Both the Delica and Endura are pretty affordable (not as cheap as the Polestar, but still reasonable).

Fixed blades are the strongest, of course, but they are difficult to conceal for many people (and are sometimes illegal to carry). It has been a few years since I was last in France, but I seem to remember that fixed blades and locking folders are illegal unless you have a “lawful purpose” for the knife (e.g., you are a construction worker, you are fishing, etc.). You’ve probably already checked on this, but I’d hate for you to get in trouble with the law, so I thought I’d mention it.

You’ll also want to look into some knife self-defense instruction so you’ll know how to use the blade properly (including weapon retention and disarming techniques). My instructor Burton Richardson’s Battlefield Kali program has a very good DVD series, and Michael Janich’s Martial Blade Concepts program is also excellent.

P.S.: Vous parlez très bien anglais. J'ai oublié tout le français que j'ai étudié à l'école. :)
Last edited by Takuan on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

[Double-post :confused: ]
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would not choose a Linerlock for SD.

My first question, what are the knife laws where you are in France?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Jull

Post by Jull »

Thanks for your answers guys!

Someone named "Sal" Colorado USA, response too me, euh... Sal GLESSER himself? realy??

I think i understand all yours answers, so Sal say he can have total trust in stabing task with liner lock of Polestar, so if he's creator say he cant have total trust for this task, i think i will listen him. (Polestar beautiful knife but not adapted for me and my use)

I understand they are a lot of knife more apropriate too do self defence task (fixed blade, yojimbo...) but it's not my research, i want too say for me my first tool for self defence is my sneakers and i'm not really envisaging a knife for self defence.
But if i carry one EDC i want someone who can do this "corectly" maybe not the best for this, but (a good lock/blade lenght <3,2"/ and correct handle grip).

So my research is more a classic knife not disigned for spécial task, but with cool ahestetic (maybe is the most important for me), just for eat, prepare food and secure with lock in extrême situations...

SO!
C90FPIV2_Both.png
Maybe this beauty will do the job extremely well good, i think is beautifull, for me Spyderco have maried modern/tactical knife with ART designs and elegance, with fonctionality and quality too.

I think this one represent what i like in Spyderco.
(he's just my opignion and i dont have lot of expérience:) )

Manix 2, Endella, PM2 and maybe others can be apropriate for me sure but i love design of this one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jull wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:22 am
C90FPIV2_Both.png

Maybe this beauty will do the job extremely well good, i think is beautifull, for me Spyderco have maried modern/tactical knife with ART designs and elegance, with fonctionality and quality too.

Manix 2, Endella, PM2 and maybe others can be apropriate for me sure but i love design of this one.

I hate to say it, but "this beauty" was a sprint run and might be very hard to find anymore..

And, yes, it IS a beauty and a great design. It is the straight spine Stretch 2, but as said no longer in production.
You can wait if another version of this model will come out (perhaps in different steel and/or handle color) or have a look at the "regular" Stretch 2 (different handle color, differently shaped, more curved and "funky" looking spine - see here: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C90BK2/1033)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jull wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:22 am
Thanks for your answers guys!

Someone named "Sal" Colorado USA, response too me, euh... Sal GLESSER himself? realy??

I think i understand all yours answers, so Sal say he can have total trust in stabing task with liner lock of Polestar, so if he's creator say he cant have total trust for this task, i think i will listen him. (Polestar beautiful knife but not adapted for me and my use)

I understand they are a lot of knife more apropriate too do self defence task (fixed blade, yojimbo...) but it's not my research, i want too say for me my first tool for self defence is my sneakers and i'm not really envisaging a knife for self defence.
But if i carry one EDC i want someone who can do this "corectly" maybe not the best for this, but (a good lock/blade lenght <3,2"/ and correct handle grip).

So my research is more a classic knife not disigned for spécial task, but with cool ahestetic (maybe is the most important for me), just for eat, prepare food and secure with lock in extrême situations...

SO!

C90FPIV2_Both.png

Welcome to the forum!

You are correct, that straight spine Stretch is one of the best looking knives made by any company and I would prefer all Stretch knives looked like this.

The mid back lock like the one on this Stretch would be plenty strong. The caged ball bearing lock like the Manix 2 has would be pretty strong, as well. I'd stay away from (and I do) liner locks, frame locks, and compression locks for your purposes.

Some other knives you might look at are the Endura, Delica, Police 4, Native 5, and Native Chief. I have a number of Enduras and Delicas.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jull,

I think that most trained experts in MBC would agree with me;

The first rule of Self Defense is not to be there.
The second rule of self defense would be some type of non-lethal defense. (Eg: pepper spray, electronic charge, etc.)
If you have to use a knife for self defense, the situation becomes more complicated with; knowledge, equipment, laws. etc

You might consider carrying two knives? Many do. One for EDC and one for SD that is not used so it'a always very sharp. A street Beat, the new upcoming Swick, or designs from MBC experts like Mike Janich.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

BentoBox Shop still has some of those straight spine Stretches in stock. :)

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:11 am
BentoBox Shop still has some of those straight spine Stretches in stock. :)

Great info! :)

But:
1.) I personally would still take the knife that is in the pic above the SS Stretch over it: HAP 40 Stretch 1.... :rolleyes:
2.) Bentoboxshop does NO international sales at the time being, and our new member is from France... :( (and when they still did, they charged almost 70 $ shipping costs to Europe)
Jull

Post by Jull »

Stretch 2 Straight spine ordered in France today! I have chance some of it in stock...

I'm realy impress Sal Glesser answer too me on Spyderco forum, i'm honored too have answer to you and have information about this polestar from is créator it s a pleasure...

Spyderco, marked me about my knife vision and with this answer i can only admirate this company.

PS: :)) I just give too you my witch list for Santa Claus, my dream EDC: The handle of the Strech 2 and a drop leaf blade, sort of Native 5 but in 8.4 lenght, i'm sur he can be nice.

Thanks a lot.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, Jull! Nice to have you here. There are a lot of good suggestions here that will likely suit your needs. For what it’s worth, though, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the Polestar. The quality is definitely there, and I’ve had no issues with the lock. (Granted, I haven’t used it to ward off any muggers, so your mileage may vary ;) ). Let us know what you decide to get!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Welcome! Sal hangs around here and answers questions all the time! One of the reasons I love Spyderco besides the fact that they make some of the best knives on the planet!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Explanation regarding the Spyderco Yojimbo and Yojumbo blades/knives by designer and martial artist Michael Janich.

https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Jull

Post by Jull »

After buying Strech 2 straight spine, i have interogation about the tip of the blade.
They doesnt realy feel strong and i dont know how he can be solid...

Manix 2 left / Strech 2 straight spine right
WP_20200910_007.jpg
WP_20200910_006.jpg
:) If i'am a butcher, for cuting my pork meat,i want to stabing pork with all strenght i have, tip blade hurt side bone and make twisting motion does he can broken?

Strech 2 straight spine adapted for this task or definitly not?