Imperfect tri-stones on Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

Imperfect tri-stones on Sharpmaker

Post by Mako109 »

I probably should have asked a long time ago. The tri-stones on mine, particularly the Fine (white) feel imperfect.

1. The sides on mine have "pimples". I mean if i run my finger down one side I can feel a pimple or two; and it's like this on two sides per stick, giving me only one side on each stick to use.

2. The corners on some parts are slightly jagged. So slight I can't see it until I run my fingers over that portion, but it's certainly there.

Are these conditions normal? Should the sticks/rods feel perfectly smooth?
Wartstein

Re: Imperfect tri-stones on Sharpmaker

Post by Wartstein »

Sounds not normal to me: Just checked my white, brown and CBN rods: All perfectly smooth (other than being abrasive of course.. ;) ) on the flats and the corners, no "pimples" or jagged spots.

The "pimples" on yours are really that bad that you actually can´t use the flats where they (the "pimples") are?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a couple sets of each and mine are all smooth. Have you considered contacting Spyderco?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The are some bumps on my UF stone flats that will chip an edge if I try sharpening on them. Luckily, there's at least 1 side to each UF rod that is perfectly smooth so I just marked the smooth sides and only sharpen on those.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:13 pm
Sounds not normal to me: Just checked my white, brown and CBN rods: All perfectly smooth (other than being abrasive of course.. ;) ) on the flats and the corners, no "pimples" or jagged spots.

The "pimples" on yours are really that bad that you actually can´t use the flats where they (the "pimples") are?!
Yes, I feel that's why I've had such difficulty. Like "The Meat Man", I marked the two sides that are perfectly flat and just use those.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:34 pm
I have a couple sets of each and mine are all smooth. Have you considered contacting Spyderco?
Unfortunately it's been several years since I purchased mine, so I doubt they'll do anything.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:41 pm
The are some bumps on my UF stone flats that will chip an edge if I try sharpening on them. Luckily, there's at least 1 side to each UF rod that is perfectly smooth so I just marked the smooth sides and only sharpen on those.
Yes, that's been my solution too.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:41 pm
Same with mine. I don't know exactly well but I bought them many years ago, probably more than 10, and they were like that from factory.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yes, my Sharpmaker rods are smooth.

It’s obviously a different kind of rod and a different production process, but my diamond rods had a few very large particles - one chunk was so much of a ‘pimple’ that it would catch and stop the whole knife dead in the pass.

Luckily it was near the bottom of the rod.

I ended up knocking the outsized pimple out by tapping it with the side of a plane iron. I wonder if you could do something similar on your caramic rods?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It's pretty common to flatten and lap sharpening stones. This will remove new stone imperfections.

With new diamond plates, I run a scrap piece of steel over them till the surface is even.