Knives with a cause

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Knives with a cause

Post by Albatross »

I admire what Spyderco has done with some of their Taichung knives, such as the Mantra 2 (and others), with every sale contributing to The Parkinson's Foundation, or whichever cause the others contribute to. This is a great idea and I know that some people have bought these knives, specifically because of the causes they fund.

Is it possible for a Golden-made knife to also be one of these charity knives? Specifically for injured or retired law enforcement here in the states? Really just anything for law enforcement would be great. I've got family in law enforcement, and politics aside, officers generally don't get the credit they deserve, yet they still risk their lives every day for us. That's not a recent development, it's been going on for a long while. Then again, how many of us appreciate what farmers do to keep us fed? Us humans are really good at taking things for granted.

Originally the Police LW with a blue back spacer (like the S90V Delica) seemed perfect, given the purpose for the original design, but having a model made in Golden would be even better. A 3.5" Police, made in Golden, would make a lot of dreams come true. Maybe even an existing model, with a different color, like what was done with the pink PM2 for example? I think the idea is more important than the model.

Is it possible and would anyone be interested?
SpyderNut

Re: Knives with a cause

Post by SpyderNut »

It’s a good thought. Spyderco came out with something similar to what you’re describing for LE a few years ago (but it was made in Japan; of course): https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11FBLM/715
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I first joined the Spyderco Forum ( Spyderville) back in 2004 there were two models at that time that were designated to help victims of the 9-11 tragedy. One was the "D'Allara" model and the other was a 9-11 commemorative model that came in a handsome wood case. The later was even numbered. The D'Allara was a great, heavy duty Sheepsfoot model that had a solid locking system.

There have been other fund raising projects that Spyderco has been involved in throughout the years.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Maybe the forum knife could have a cause behind it? I wouldn't mind seeing the cause change with the forum knife
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have not a single problem honoring police. They are first responders, after all. And the original “Pride Integrity Guts” Spydie surely sought to acknowledge that.

I do have a problem with the thin blue line metaphor that would separate the police from the people they are “to serve and protect”.

I consider that line on the black-and-white American flag not just divisive (by design) but even traitorous to American principles.

It is one thing to have esprit de corps for the legitimate purpose of pride, quite another to project fear into the American population.

Reject my comment as political (I certainly won’t push it further), but causes are political. I’d rather the Glessers define Spyderco’s politics as the spirit moves them.

Remember the PIG.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

what if it was a back the blue native lw with laser engraved dlc combo edge lc200n and some shade of blue frn like the never summer version was? that could be a cool model. and really that's a great platform for any kind of "cause" knife. a worry-free, ergonomic workhorse that's legal in most places and relatively economical. just change the handle color and laser engraving for each cause.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:05 am
I have not a single problem honoring police. They are first responders, after all. And the original “Pride Integrity Guts” Spydie surely sought to acknowledge that.

I do have a problem with the thin blue line metaphor that would separate the police from the people they are “to serve and protect”.

I consider that line on the black-and-white American flag not just divisive (by design) but even traitorous to American principles.

It is one thing to have esprit de corps for the legitimate purpose of pride, quite another to project fear into the American population.

Reject my comment as political (I certainly won’t push it further), but causes are political. I’d rather the Glessers define Spyderco’s politics as the spirit moves them.

Remember the PIG.
I hadn't heard that take on it, and it makes sense. Honestly it wouldn't matter how the knife was done, so long as it benefited officers.

As far as politics, I was more referring to the current political debates surrounding law enforcement. As far as the politics of certain emblems or designs go, that's a different, and somewhat important discussion.

Maybe some law enforcement members will have ideas that would satisfy everyone.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The puzzle-pieces motif might make a cool design/pattern for an autism charity knife. Maybe one of the big boy retailers like BHQ could pick that up as an Exclusive.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:56 am
The puzzle-pieces motif might make a cool design/pattern for an autism charity knife. Maybe one of the big boy retailers like BHQ could pick that up as an Exclusive.
Not a bad idea. That would sell out in seconds.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I could be misinterpreting your initial post, Albatross, but it seems to imply there have been no Golden made Spydercos linked to charities and that's simply not the case. In addition to the tan FRN Natives Spyderco has been gifting to servicemen for over a decade, there have been a number of Native versions where a portion of the sales price was/is donated to a charity or cause.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:02 am
I could be misinterpreting your initial post, Albatross, but it seems to imply there have been no Golden made Spydercos linked to charities and that's simply not the case. In addition to the tan FRN Natives Spyderco has been gifting to servicemen for over a decade, there have been a number of Native versions where a portion of the sales price was/is donated to a charity or cause.
Also, the pink PM2 and such.

More never hurts, though. Right? :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:58 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
At first I was thinking it could be a cool FRN grip pattern, but then I remembered reading how expensive it is for the company to make the molds for FRN handles. But maybe still a color pattern?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:07 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
At first I was thinking it could be a cool FRN grip pattern, but then I remembered reading how expensive it is for the company to make the molds for FRN handles. But maybe still a color pattern?
Inlaid G10, like the S&M Chap(hahaha) would work perfect.

-Thomas Jefferson
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:10 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:07 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Inlaid G10, like the S&M Chap(hahaha) would work perfect.
Yeah, true true.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:02 am
I'm thinking more that there's not a current Golden-made knife (to my knowledge) that donates part of it's sales to law enforcement.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The other charity ideas are great, but this thread was asking for a charity knife that benefits law enforcement. Maybe we need a general thread with ideas for other charities/knife combos. Good deeds and worthy causes are always a positive thing.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Albatross,

Actually, Eric has something planned.

FYI, We make the "Cop coin" supporting Military and law enforcement. I carry some with me all of the time and I give them to cops and soldiers that I see in my everyday life. I just say "Thanx for your service" as I hand them the coin. I probably give away 30-40 per month. It's interesting how appreciative they are, especially in these times.

We do sell them, but it's not really a money thing. You might consider getting some and trying my "Thanx for your Service". It's a win/win.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

I'm currently working on a Fire Fighters coin using the "fire dragon" that we made for the fire fighters ad.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:43 am
I'm currently working on a Fire Fighters coin using the "fire dragon" that we made for the fire fighters ad.

sal
Count me in!

-Thomas Jefferson
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:43 am

sal
I work in the industry so that would suit me.