It's time for a new Cricket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

It's time for a new Cricket

Post by jdw »

I think that this is one of the most useful little knives that Spyderco has put out and it cuts like a monster. It's one of my all time favorite lw designs and it would really be fun to have a new version. Its time is due. I would buy multiples in almost any steel and any scale color. What would you like to see?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sumdumguy

Re: It's time for a new Cricket

Post by Sumdumguy »

jdw wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:03 am
I think that this is one of the most useful little knives that Spyderco has put out and it cuts like a monster. It's one of my all time favorite lw designs and it would really be fun to have a new version. Its time is due. I would buy multiples in almost any steel and any scale color. What would you like to see?
What I would like to see, is one that doesn't have unequal thickness on either side of the blade.

Everytime I see the off center blade, it makes my eye twitch.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting you bring up this thread because I haven't heard much talk about the CRICKET model in quite some time. I only have one left in my collection and I never use it. Small folders just don't do the job for me.

I've always wondered what a CRICKET model with a Micarta handle would be like. The carbon fiber Cricket models were very nice.
Red

Post by Red »

jdw wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:03 am
Agreed, very cool little monster, maybe one in H1??
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

My first Spyderco was the Carbon Fiber Cricket from the late 90’s. Loved that thing. Eventually lost it. By the time I got round to getting another one the stainless version was out. While I was not thrilled about this new edition I cam to like it even more. Thinner and easier in the pocket. I did eventually find a used version fo the Carbon Fiber cricket I once had and even got a FRN version. I wound up selling both of them not long after because they felt chunky to me after using the stainless version.
I prefer the serrated version. I attempted the plain edge and it felt to me like just another knife. The serrated gave it much more cutting power for its size. Plus the shape of the blade with serrated still gives you a great tip for piercing. I will admit I didn’t to try the Nishijin crickets. For some reason it just did not appeal to me. The etched cricket was nice and had one for a while. I think it only came is straight edge so I was not as excited as I should have been. A blade swap should have been in order but never materialized.
I have always longed for a titanium version of this with maybe H1 steel. Why H!? Not due to corrosiveness (but that is bonus) but due to its superiority for edge holding for a serrated blade. A brushed titanium (maybe colors?) frame with brushed (is this possible?) H1. Dare to dream.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I might be interested. I'd like to see what they dreamed up.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I have 2 Crickets. One with the metal handles and an old-school FRN. I often carry my FRN Cricket more than the metal handle. The extra grip is nice, and not having to worry about scratching the metal finish is nice.

I would love to see a micarta handle. Micarta is one thing I wish Spyderco would do more.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like mine very much. I’m in!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd like to see..

1. A "Cricket-fly" - A Cricket blade in a Dragonfly handle

2. A new FRN Cricket 2 LW with wire clip and bidirectional FRN on both scale sides.

3. A Micarta Cricket 2 with wire clip

I'm thinking either H1 SE Salts or FFG VG-10 SE
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The Cricket design is pretty close to perfect as-is, IMO the composite scales are too chunky.

The LW was good, slim enough not to be a downgrade from the framelock if they bring it back, but there's not much reason to do more LW Crickets unless they can get the price down under $40 or so. (Which seems very unlikely.)

I would buy my crickets again to get a wire clip, and I'd love to see a slightly longer blade on a big brother model.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:32 am
The Cricket design is pretty close to perfect as-is, IMO the composite scales are too chunky.

The LW was good, slim enough not to be a downgrade from the framelock if they bring it back, but there's not much reason to do more LW Crickets unless they can get the price down under $40 or so. (Which seems very unlikely.)

I would buy my crickets again to get a wire clip, and I'd love to see a slightly longer blade on a big brother model

See option B of Cricket-fly below. :D

Here were my very crude mockups from my Dodofly and Cricketfly threads. I would love both of these in PE and SE, but I would take any just one of them at this point to get the ball rolling! :D

Cricketfly - https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84073

option a

option b (elongated blade)

Dodofly - https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=84079

option a

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I would love a new Cricket.

Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

This is one of those Spydercos I owned for about 6 weeks before selling it. Had I been alone on a spaceship I'd probably have blasted it out into the vacuum of space just to be rid of it. Almost every time I touched the darn thing it took a chunk out one hand or the other... instead of piercing clamshell packaging it would skate along the surface, only stopping when it hit bone.
Never again will I let one of these into Castle Thunderpants!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sal has mentioned in the past that flex was the reason for moving away from the FRN version. I've got one and never had an issue. I'd like to see them take another look at FRN with the material improvements and things they've learned since.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Mini2white wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:22 pm
I would love a new Cricket.

Nice pink cricket you have there. Those are fairly hard to come by these days. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I own the original cricket (Tufram coated aluminum with GIN-1 blade steel) and the later re-issue (stainless handles with VG-10 blade steel). I’ve carried both knives extensively as a second blade that was “polite company friendly” (in a way that the Police model is not). The stainless model was an improvement over the original because of the thinner, symmetrical handle (since the original was thicker on one side to accommodate the liner lock). However, I didn’t like the fact that the clip couldn’t be moved to tip-up carry, or that the stainless handle was so slick. I actually took a Dremel to the handle to rough it up so that it had a better grip. If there’s a new Cricket, I’d like to see a four-way clip and some type of improved handle grip to make the small knife easier to wield. Overall, though, it’s a great design.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:06 am
Here were my very crude mockups from my Dodofly and Cricketfly threads. I would love both of these in PE and SE, but I would take any just one of them at this point to get the ball rolling! :D

I didn't post in that particular thread, but modifying the Cricket and Dodo is an idea that comes up every year or so (Maybe even more often) and I'm definitely a supporter.

I like the Cricket for the simple lines, IMO putting it into a Dragonfly handle doesn't carry over the best qualities. I'd rather see a Dodofly than a Cricketfly for that reason, since IMO the bulky handle on the Dodo is a liability more than an asset.

That said, I'm not sure the Dragonfly handle is really suited to anything other than a leaf-shaped blade.

Here's my take on crossing the Cricket with the Insistent:
JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:05 am
Here's a very quick and very dirty photoshop of a Reverse-S Insistent. ~2.5" blade length.
I'm more of a Compression Lock lover than either backlock or linerlock, so a CL version would be my first pick if the manufacturer can handle it, but IMO the linerlock is the best choice if they can't swing a CL.
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

I've got to give a shout out to Joyce at Spyderco who spent time with my daughter at Blade Show one year and turned her onto the Cricket with her experiences. My daughter started college this year and the restriction of "dangerous instruments in the residence hall" includes knives longer than 2". With that she had to put up her Para 3 lw and went back to the Cricket which she had missed more than she realized. Great knife that just might be fitting a growing niche.