I really want a Shaman in M4!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

I really want a Shaman in M4!

Post by soc_monki »

As the title suggests, I have been on the hunt for a Shaman in M4 (dlc). The only one I know of is the Blade HQ exclusive that is tough to get, especially since I refuse to pay the ridiculous secondary market prices. I can stomach a price up to a certain point, but I'm not paying $300 for one no matter what. So my question is, is there any plans in the works for someone else to have an M4 or equivalent steel shaman?

My S30v shaman is one of my favorites and m4 is my favorite steel, I just hate I didn't get into shamans earlier and grab a blade hq model when I could! Glad I grabbed a Manix 2 xl though, I love that knife!

So, any words on the street about a similar exclusive coming out? I can change scales, I'm really just interested in the steel.

Oh, and I ordered a Gayle Bradley 2 last night... Can't wait to check that handsome knife out!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Sharp Guy

Re: I really want a Shaman in M4!

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've not heard of any additional exclusive or sprint run Shamans in M4. It's quite possible there's something in the works but we don't usually get to hear about it until Spyderco or dealer (in the case of exclusives) let us know.

I think you'll really enjoy that GB2!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I'm going to continue searching for an M4 variant until something better comes up. I was thinking that my S30 version is fine, and it is! I love it, carry it all the time, but it would be great to have another. More is better, right?! And M4...If someone made a 20cv or M390 version I would be all over that as well. Just have to wait and see I guess!

And the GB2 just looks like a good, useable design, very pretty, and a hollow ground blade. I was thinking of forcing a patina on it, since I can apparently get S30V to rust as well especially being in Mississippi. We'll see how it goes. This will be Spydie #13 in the collection (lucky #13??). Looking forward to it!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wonder if KnifeCenter will do another run of their Rex45/Rosewood Shaman?

Would Rex 45 be close enough to M4 for you?
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:33 am
I wonder if KnifeCenter will do another run of their Rex45/Rosewood Shaman?

Would Rex 45 be close enough to M4 for you?
Ill have to see how it compares, but from what I've seen I'd probably be fine with it. Have they done any dlc coated rex45? I don't think I've seen one, but I may be wrong. I'll go take a look!
Joey

Post by Joey »

I’m no expert, but I read quite a bit/watch reviews from trusted sources. From what I have seen, Rex 45 is better than M4 in every regard (toughness/edge retention/corrosion resistance/hardness). Even side by side(actual usage) testing proves that it is far superior.

Bonus is Rex 45 Shamans are cheaper+have more scale options from the factory.

Basically, I’d highly recommend checking out Rex 45, if you like M4!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Joey wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:35 pm
I’m no expert, but I read quite a bit/watch reviews from trusted sources. From what I have seen, Rex 45 is better than M4 in every regard (toughness/edge retention/corrosion resistance/hardness). Even side by side(actual usage) testing proves that it is far superior.

Been looking at it, seems m4 is still better in toughness, but Rex wins in edge retention. M4 is already crazy there, so Rex is an option! I just want it dlc coated... So that has yet to happen with any of the Rex45 sprints I think.

I'll wait patiently. Lol
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Joey wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:35 pm

CPM M4 is tougher, but since Rex 45 is run so hard, the combination of toughness and hardness it has, means a more stable edge. M4 will deform before Rex 45, but M4 can also handle more impact shock and prying. Most people don't need the extra toughness though. On the data sheet, Rex 45 is listed as having less edge retention than M4, but with Spyderco's heat treat, that's not the case.

For the OP; Rex 45 has incredible edge stability, which means you can drop the angle of the edge, while still being able to resist chips or rolls. This will mean better performance, in the form of more edge retention.

Also, unlike many of the high carbide steels out there, I prefer to take Rex 45 to a higher grit finish. Instead of 400-600 grit, I bring it to nearly 2k, with 1, .5, and .25 micron strops, using diamond compounds.

In it's standard (stock) form, it will perform slightly better than M4, but when you start messing with the edge, Rex 45 really sets itself apart from most other steels.
Attachments
20200821_165554.jpg
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have found Rex45 to be FAR less corrosion resistant than M4.

I love M4. But, I can't even carry Rex45, without it turning orange.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:04 pm

I had found the opposite to be true, but was informed by Larrin that there should be no reason for a difference in corrosion resistance between the two steels. He said that any differences are more likely a result of contamination.
blues

Post by blues »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:55 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

I had found the opposite to be true, but was informed by Larrin that there should be no reason for a difference in corrosion resistance between the two steels. He said that any differences are more likely a result of contamination.
Reminds me of the old saying..."In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
- Retired from the chase -
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Albatross wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

That may be the case. I have one more knife in Rex45. I'm just scared to use it :P

I've come to accept that there are likely variables at play that none of us can fully comprehend.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't have the cash right now, but I fully support this idea. I'd really like a Shaman in M4 too. Maybe DLC too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:05 pm
Albatross wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

That may be the case. I have one more knife in Rex45. I'm just scared to use it :P

I've come to accept that there are likely variables at play that none of us can fully comprehend.
Hopefully you get to enjoy it some day.

Agreed. Contamination isn't something that would have been my first thought (or a thought at all) but it certainly makes sense. Luckily, we have Larrin around to fill in the blanks.
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

I want an M4 Shaman!! Or PM2 for that matter. I admit I would change out the jade scales though.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Well, I found one on ebay and snagged it for only $10 more than I wanted to pay. I count that as a victory! I'll be keeping the jade scales, so I'll have a matching manix 2 xl and shaman!

Am interested in getting future shamans in other steels. Maybe a 20cv or m390....
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

There hasn't been a K390 Shaman yet, has there? The day that happens is the day the internet blows up lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I haven't had a knife with K390 yet. I've fallen deeply in love with M4, and along with it and M390/20cv I don't think I need any other steels, but I think we know how that goes. Variety is the spice of life, and I like having variety! From 8cr13mov to M4, I enjoy them all for different reasons.

Really enjoying my GB2, it is such a slicing machine! Been cutting tomatoes with it and it just glides through (still with the factory edge, no touch ups!) Cardboard doesn't stand a chance, shaving wood is no problem, tomatoes are laughed at. I'm hoping cutting tomatoes and other fruit will give me a nice patina in time. We shall see!

Anxiously awaiting the Shaman though. Love the standard version, the M4 will be great as well, and of course I'll be on the lookout for new versions! Still hoping Bento Box decides to do an M390 DLC and Blue handle version...oh I'd really love that!