Seconds Sale 2020

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Seconds Sale 2020

Post by cabfrank »

I think it is a nice idea, but as many have said, there are a whole lot of ways it could go badly. It makes more sense for it not to happen, really.
EDIT; just to be clear, I'm talking about the mystery box.
Last edited by cabfrank on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For a few people who don’t live close enough, or can not afford to travel, it seems (although things are not always like they seem) that getting a number of seconds through the post is a great idea. I think it is rife with issues, many of which will not appear until after the fact.

Considering some of the prices I have seen marked on seconds, for a couple of hundred US dollars one could expect anywhere from three to maybe five knives in a box. Are these going to be sufficient in kind, number, function to satisfy most everyone? I would guess no.

Now, I live close enough to drive to Spyderco in the morning, and with proper Covid precautions, look over their inventory and pick a knife or two that really speaks to me and get home before dark. This is not going to happen if I were to get a box of seconds from the post office.

I would much prefer to spend my money on a new, beautiful, fully functioning Gail Bradley 2 than a box of unknown seconds.

The bottom line is that no good deed goes unpunished. I am absolutely positive that if Spyderco offered mystery boxes of seconds we would never hear the end of it and I don’t mean that in a good way.

Eric and Sal. Just don’t do it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

And don't forget those seconds sale prices are cash and carry. Factor in labor and material to sort and pack for shipping and I'd guess three knives average. I did the math and came up with approximately 14,000 knives on the tables at the start of the last sale. There were at least 5,000 more in the boxes under the tables, and the crew were still hauling out more trays at 3:00 in the afternoon. Call it 30,000 knives at 3 per box, you're looking at 10,000 boxes. Anybody want to volunteer for that job?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

yeah, mystery box just ain't happening, and for good reasons...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Well, as long as we're free associating, they could just put out say 3 or 4 boxes of knives, a wide assortment of types, every day for two weeks or until they sell as many as they need to, and let people send in their names and preferred dates to come. People who had flexible schedules could let Spyderco schedule them, and an attempt could be made to accomodate people who had a narrow window to come.

The scheduling would be a bit of a nightmare, so they could just put out 4 boxes a day and hope people would come in randomly. I'm sure people who lived nearby would sneak in every day, etc, but whatever :)

Or, it would definitely squelch the carnival atmosphere of the sale, but they could, until the pandemic is over, just leave a couple of boxes on the counter all the time until they get the stock reduction they need. If people who live nearby showed up more that 2 or 3 times, they could consider putting limits on them, or put up a sign saying they could do it only once, once a week, or whatever.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
kriscole

Post by kriscole »

Hey all! I’m brand new here. I just got back into knives early this year after being gone for 5 years+ and I’ve been blown away with hi everything has changed. Last I remembered D2 steel was on the higher end and S30v was the premium. Anyways, what kind of deals do they have at the seconds sale? Do they sell extra blades? Like how much would a para 2 or 3 go for? Do they sell extra scales and stuff like that?
God • Family • Freedom
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Welcome to the forum. They do not sell parts at the Seconds Sale, just complete knives. Back on page 3 of this thread there is a picture of some seconds with the sale price tags showing, that should give you an idea of the typical pricing there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm
Freediver wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:08 pm
Maybe they will do an online seconds sale this year. :D
That would be awesome

Not just awesome, but also generally a bit more practical for non-US-folks... :D ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kriscole

Post by kriscole »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:00 pm
Welcome to the forum. They do not sell parts at the Seconds Sale, just complete knives. Back on page 3 of this thread there is a picture of some seconds with the sale price tags showing, that should give you an idea of the typical pricing there.
Thank you very much. I’ve had some difficulty learning how to navigate a forum so I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction!
God • Family • Freedom
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Here is the online All Clad Cookware Factory Seconds Sale. They have a huge disclaimer that you have to electronically sign before entering the sale. I don't see why Spyderco can't do something like this and then do it online?

https://homeandcooksales.com/?trk_msg=F ... +And+More!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 am
Here is the online All Clad Cookware Factory Seconds Sale. They have a huge disclaimer that you have to electronically sign before entering the sale. I don't see why Spyderco can't do something like this and then do it online?

https://homeandcooksales.com/?trk_msg=F ... +And+More!
Maybe they just don't want to go through the effort and expense to put this together.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'd buy a mystery box at around $150-200.

This is a popular offering in Japan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukubukuro
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Being from Canada, the chances of me making it to a "seconds sale" are very low. I understand the difficulties and risks of making these available online and that many people would be unhappy with what they got, even if any flaws or issues were fully disclosed.

With that said, I would love to see them available online somehow. I know it may not be practical, reasonable, or even feasible, but it still makes me hope and wish it could be. :D

Also, I am the type of guy that would buy a bunch sight unseen if possible and even if they all came mostly unusable I would be happy to get them, and happy to support Spyderco in getting them out to die hard customers.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

carrot wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 am
I'd buy a mystery box at around $150-200.

This is a popular offering in Japan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukubukuro

I would love to buy a Fukubukuro full of Seki Seconds! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

An on-line sale is not in the plan. Kelly is still planning, but She is watching COVID requirements closely.

sal
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Any updates? I’m really contemplating the 1,050 mile trip.

Rich
Think for yourself
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was wondering the same thing and I'm staying optimistic that it will be officially announced via the October Spyderco Byte Newsletter. I already have my travel plans arranged, so it would be reassuring to know its still happening. :o
-Nick :bug-red
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:21 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm
Freediver wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:08 pm
Maybe they will do an online seconds sale this year. :D
That would be awesome

Not just awesome, but also generally a bit more practical for non-US-folks... :D ;)
^That is a great idea!^, but I could totally see everything selling out within 5 minutes.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

Kristi Hunter, 10-09-20
"We're working through a lot of details, but we do plan on having it. It will be unlike any past event. Once we have everything finalized and we have the necessary approvals, we'll post."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Spyderc ... 8325664705
Last edited by m6steen on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

m6steen wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:14 pm
"We're working through a lot of details, but we do plan on having it. It will be unlike any past event. Once we have everything finalized and we have the necessary approvals, we'll post."
Kristi Hunter

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Spyderc ... 8325664705
Thank you for posting this! I do not have facebook and likely would not have seen this otherwise.
-Nick :bug-red