I think I caught SE fever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: I think I caught SE fever

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:34 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:37 pm
Received my new SE Endela today, and I can already tell this will become one of my favorites. IMO, the serrations are ground perfectly; meaning, they are ground more shallowly/less aggressively than most other Spyderco patterns.

So far, I’ve only lubed it a little and did the typical, boring “unboxing.” This’ll sound crazy, but I’m gonna do something I’ve never done before; I’m going to let the knife sit for a couple days, to make sure it’s Covid-free before I rinse off the blade (as I always do anyway) and really start carrying and using it. This may sound ridiculous, and it probably is, but my mild but ever-present OCD dictates that I must. This is my first knife purchase in a year. So here in my living room it’ll sit, taunting me by telepathically saying,“CARRY ME NOW.”

:D

Jim

Jim, you´re driving me crazy... ;)

I can´t wait to hear you opinion on the sheer performance of the Endela SE, and you gonna"let it sit for a couple of days"? :eek: ... :p

Much like when Vivi ordered an Endura wharnie SE, I was so eager to hear his thoughts on SE in ffg, and then by accident they sent him the PE version... :mad: .... :p
Warstein, if it’s driving YOU crazy, think how crazy it’s driving ME! :eek:

;)

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:37 pm
The irony about serrations keeping an edge longer is that I touch up my knives far more often now than I ever did with PE. Not because they don't hold an edge but because it's so satisfying how well they cut when really sharp.
I’m not yet at the Zen stage, I’m still at the puzzling stage.

But, then, I don’t have a lower-amplitude SE like you do. What models apart from the Caribbean now qualify in your opinion?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:05 am
Evil D wrote:
The irony about serrations keeping an edge longer is that I touch up my knives far more often now than I ever did with PE. Not because they don't hold an edge but because it's so satisfying how well they cut when really sharp.

But, then, I don’t have a lower-amplitude SE like you do. What models apart from the Caribbean now qualify in your opinion?

I still use my Dragonfly Salt quite a lot, probably more so around the house than my Caribbeans. It's still one of my better slicing SE knives because it's so thin overall and it's the highest and thinnest hollow grind I've got and since it's only 2.5mm it doesn't have as much wedge effect at the top of the hollow grind as some other Salts have. I've also been using my Stretch a lot but the serrations aren't ground quite as good as my Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I am not David, and would not recommend anything if it was not backed up by the feedbacks of others - but since this is the case indeed: Endela Se. Better than any PE folder I ever had in really most tasks.

Endura and Delica wharnie (!) SE should be equally good if not even better (at least the Delica, due to its thinner blade)
I am pretty sure Tenacious LW SE as a more "budget" approach... (and I could imagine that 8CR13MOV is a pretty good steel for a spyderedge!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:29 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I am not David, and would not recommend anything if it was not backed up by the feedbacks of others - but since this is the case indeed: Endela Se. Better than any PE folder I ever had in really most tasks.

Endura and Delica wharnie (!) SE should be equally good if not even better (at least the Delica, due to its thinner blade)
I am pretty sure Tenacious LW SE as a more "budget" approach... (and I could imagine that 8CR13MOV is a pretty good steel for a spyderedge!)
I'm not looking here for declarations that SE is more effective than PE, I'm looking for declarations the some SE is "rounder" (lower amplitude) than other SE. Does the SE Endela have rounder teeth than an SE Eudura, for example?
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:22 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I still use my Dragonfly Salt quite a lot, probably more so around the house than my Caribbeans. It's still one of my better slicing SE knives because it's so thin overall and it's the highest and thinnest hollow grind I've got and since it's only 2.5mm it doesn't have as much wedge effect at the top of the hollow grind as some other Salts have. I've also been using my Stretch a lot but the serrations aren't ground quite as good as my Caribbean.
Unfortunately, my DF2 Salt is PE. Has your use/maintenance rounded off the tips of your SE DF2 Salt such that it is more like your Caribbeans? You have said, I think, that your use/maintenance of them has also made their tips rounder. Are there other SE patterns that have come out recently that start with lower amplitude?

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:29 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I'm not looking here for declarations that SE is more effective that PE, I'm looking for declarations the some SE is "rounder" (lower amplitude) than other SE. Does the SE Endela have rounder teeth than an SE Eudura, for example?
That´s what I wanted to bring across, (and as a consequence the Endela SE IS also more effective and a better cutter than PE in my use). Sorry if I was unclear!
And yes, the Endela serrations are a lot more "rounded",less "aggressive" and imho better working for most tasks than lets say the teeth in my Endura and Delica comboedge, and also than in my Pac Salt.

Have a look here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87389&start=40#p1448074 for a comparison of the teeth of my Endela to the teeth on Davids beloved Caribbean. On the pics the Endela teeth may look a bit larger and the scallops deeper, but I think this is only due to that my pic of the Endela enlarges the blade more than Davids pic does with the Caribbean (the blades look to be if similar size, while in reality the Endela blade is smaller / shorter)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:22 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Unfortunately, my DF2 Salt is PE. Has your use/maintenance rounded off the tips of your SE DF2 Salt such that it is more like your Caribbeans? You have said, I think, that your use/maintenance of them has also made their tips rounder. Are there other SE patterns that have come out recently that start with lower amplitude?

Yeah it's been reprofiled the same as my Caribbean and it does help to mellow them out a bit. I haven't bought any new models lately besides the Caribbean so I can only go by pics but it does look like the Endura/Delica wharncliffe and the Endela are more on the subtle side than most so they're what I'd look into if the Caribbean isn't your thing. My next purchase is definitely going to be the Rock Jumper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve started carrying and using my new SE Endela. I am not going to “cutting test” it, but simply use it for whatever cutting tasks I normally encounter. Currently out of work, I have fewer cutting tasks in a day than I would normally. So far, I’ve only needed to break down some cardboard with it, but it cuts like a laser! No effort at all. It’s definitely the nicest-cutting serrated knife that I’ve ever used (in my very limited experience with it so far).

I’m going to make this Endela my one-hand opening EDC knife for the time being.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:28 am
I’ve started carrying and using my new SE Endela. I am not going to “cutting test” it, but simply use it for whatever cutting tasks I normally encounter. Currently out of work, I have fewer cutting tasks in a day than I would normally. So far, I’ve only needed to break down some cardboard with it, but it cuts like a laser! No effort at all. It’s definitely the nicest-cutting serrated knife that I’ve ever used (in my very limited experience with it so far).

I’m going to make this Endela my one-hand opening EDC knife for the time being.

Jim

I am not surprised at all but certainly really glad you like it, Jim! :)
Hope you'll post again after having used the Endela more.

As said, this knife was my eye opener to the world of the spyderedge and I am again and again amazed how great it performs in all my dayly cutting tasks.
Imho a really affordable and not too big, not too small option for anyone who wants to try what this current ffg SE "hype" is all about - though now it will get strong competition: The Rockjumper SE is about to hit the market... :rolleyes: