The comings and goings of a SwayBack

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DSH007

Re: The comings and goings of a SwayBack

Post by DSH007 »

^ fair points made by JRinFL about adjusting grip or technique to allow for easier one-handed opening. I don't have a Swayback because the model does not appeal to me aesthetically (who the h3ll wants a knife that was designed backwards?! apparently a lot of people, so what do I know? ;)..), but I do have the Slysz-designed SpydieChef with the similarly sized thumbhole-opening/lockbar access cutout. I find it very easy to open and close one-handed using the innermost edge of the very tip of my thumb, rather than the pad or meat of the thumb. Is it as easy as a PM2? No, for sure it is not. It does it require a slight grip adjustment and a much more directed press of the thumb, but with some practice, it's really quite simple once you get the hang of it.

Another thing I think is worth mentioning is that there is that there seems to be so much emphasis being placed on the ease of opening, or "flickability," of knives being a more desirable characteristic these days (I blame the social media for this almost exclusively..). Since when has a controlled slow-thumb-roll become a somehow "inferior" method of opening a knife? Not every blade is going to rocket out with the subtlest motion of the daintiest finger.. such as the Slysz designs.. and, as far as i'm concerned, that is ok! Slow and steady seems perfectly functional to me and I certainly wouldn't want do discount a model that may be fantastic in other areas just because I can't flick it open with my weak-hand pinky finger! This isn't meant as a knock at you Michael, or anyone else.. I get that people like what they like and that's ok too! haha sometimes I start typing and just ramble on.. Anyways, as Sal always says, "All good, just different." :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I can’t agree. If I have to find a completely different way to open a Spyderco with the Spydie hole than I use with all my other Spydercos, that’s on Spyderco and the designer.

Traditional swayback jacks have a nail mark or grove to facilitate opening. Using it will prevent accidentally cutting yourself too, not so with Slysz’s design. I can, in fact, open a traditional slip joint faster and safer than using the Swayback’s Spydie hole with either hand, two handed or single.

You say no need to run something down. I say it something deserves criticism then it should get it. People should know what to expect especially with such an expensive knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Danke

Post by Danke »

I always suggest for expensive knives folks get them in hand first and then decide.

I find as price goes up something I don't like is amplified. This has save me a tonne of $$$$.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The fact is though, the Spydiehole on the Swayback works just fine to deploy the blade. Not all knives are the same and it's unreasonable to expect them all to perform the same.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sometimes our hands catch issues our eyes cannot see.

Your thread reminds me of trying out a Native Chief for the first time. I was really hyped for a large, lightweight design with no thumb ramp. When I opened it the very first time I thought to myself "That didn't feel nearly as pleasant to operate as my Police 4." So I decided not to buy one and stuck to my Police folders.

For me it was wonderfully ergonomic once open, but like you I don't want to have to think about opening my knives any more than I have to.
:unicorn
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Michael, what you’re saying is true, for you. But clearly it’s not true for many others.

I open this knife no differently than any other Spyderco I own.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
carrot

Post by carrot »

I like the look and feel of the Swayback, but when I handled it at SFO I too found it tricky to open. Unlike most Spydercos where the opening hole gives plenty of leverage, the smaller hole and the small thumb cutout on the Swayback makes you have to hold it in a certain way and actuate the blade a little more carefully.

Nothing wrong at all with not liking the way the deployment of a knife works. I could have left Golden with a Swayback. But I didn't.

I still might order one to give it another try. I really want to like it as I love swayback wharncliffes.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My head is spinning, not because of Michael’s and others’ comments here, but because of the number of times I’ve put the Swayback on my list, then taken it off.

I’m going to leave it on but as a low-priority get, pending further opinions and reviews that might alter my inertia.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:06 pm
Michael, what you’re saying is true, for you. But clearly it’s not true for many others.

I open this knife no differently than any other Spyderco I own.
I completely agree with LC here. I have no idea why folks seem to have such a problem with this knife, I also find it extremely easy to open. As a Slysz design, it is also very well executed in the fit and finish department, save for the clip choice and the presentation side clip holes that should have never been added. That’s been discussed at length already in other threads.

This is NOT a Spyderco design, it is a very faithful production adaptation of a much more expensive Marcin Knives custom, just like his others. Sal and Eric would never choose to dishonor any maker by adding there own personal Spyderco flourishes and modifications - they are going to do their best to make the most accurate mimic they can given the materials and price points they’re operating at. To label this knife as “inferior” in any way really is not appropriate. Don’t like the design, or it doesn’t work for you, that’s absolutely fine but as a production Slysz offering, it’s as top-notch as all the others.

To me, it’s one of the absolute best Spydercos period, and I’ve been lucky to have handled nearly all of them... The stock clip can be swapped out after all.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:17 pm
...I also find it extremely easy to open....
I agree with everything you said in your post but don't assume that because you have no issues opening your particular knife that others should be the same. I'm have no dexterity issues and I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and I have had unexplained intermittent issues opening mine. It's opening fine now and has been for the past week or so. I sat at my desk last night trying to make it not open and it would open easily no matter how I was holding it or how hard I pushed down on the hole. Whereas when it was stuck previously I couldn't open it using the pad of my thumb regardless of what I did. I'm really happy with my Swayback regardless but I can understand why others could be frustrated with it

Great pic by the way!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
gfc55

Post by gfc55 »

I have to echo JR and say that I found the SwayBack relatively easy to open using a slightly different thumb movement than other Spyderco knives. My first Spyderco was a late 80's Executive model that I bought new, and it had a very stiff deployment, so I developed my Spyderco opening skills on a challenging knife. The SwayBack is much smoother to open if you keep your fingers near the clip while swinging the thumb out, not up. It is very smooth and will swing open easily once it gets moving.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

RadioActiveSpyder

“ To label this knife as “inferior” in any way really is not appropriate. Don’t like the design, or it doesn’t work for you, that’s absolutely fine but as a production Slysz offering, it’s as top-notch as all the others.”
I’m not saying anything like that. I have an issue with opening it using the Spydie hole. That’s all. I seriously want to like this knife but for me it’s not useable as a knife, regardless of the designer.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:22 pm
“I have an issue with opening it using the Spydie hole. That’s all. I seriously want to like this knife but for me it’s not useable as a knife, regardless of the designer.
Out of curiosity, do you have any experience with CRK Sebenza models? When I've tried them I have a similar experience to what you're describing—the thumb stud placement and grip changes required compared to how I open other knives really throw me off.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 pm
I agree with everything you said in your post but don't assume that because you have no issues opening your particular knife that others should be the same. I'm have no dexterity issues and I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and I have had unexplained intermittent issues opening mine. It's opening fine now and has been for the past week or so. I sat at my desk last night trying to make it not open and it would open easily no matter how I was holding it or how hard I pushed down on the hole. Whereas when it was stuck previously I couldn't open it using the pad of my thumb regardless of what I did. I'm really happy with my Swayback regardless but I can understand why others could be frustrated with it

Great pic by the way!
You quoted only one section of my sentence, the previous part mentions some “folks seem to have such a problem with this knife” which implies I certainly do understand that not everyone finds it easy to open... ;)

I’m not trying to be combative here, just trying to relate my own (one person’s) experience with this one. I definitely get it’s not for everyone, and that’s quite alright.

Thanks for the compliment on the pic, I can’t take much credit for it though - it’s all due to those talented makers. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I was impressed with the prototype that I handled at Blade a few years ago. The only thing I’d probably change would be the pocket clip. I might pick one up eventually.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I have large hands with xl hitchhiker thumbs. I’m left handed, (so this knife is perfect for me, yay Spydie flick!) and I have extensive damage on my right hand from a tablesaw kickback years ago leaving me with limited dexterity and grip. Yet Despite these challenges, I find the Swayback very easy to open right handed. My xl thumb fits fine. Flicking opens every time, (it is perhaps a slightly different opening angle but I find that the case when switching between most models) Thumb roll is pleasant as well.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JSNV

Post by JSNV »

I have large sized hands and have been really happy with my Swayback. I switched out the stock clip for an MXG Manix 2 deep carry clip which has worked perfectly. The ergos are spot on and I have no regrets picking this one up👍