Manix 2 Models...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderFlicker

Manix 2 Models...

Post by SpyderFlicker »

Being new to the hobby, which of these Manix 2 Models are better ? I don't know anything about steel types and such but would like to know. Could you guys give a basic rundown and what Type of steel are better?

Mainly focusing on whats currently available for purchase.

- Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet C101PGY2

- Manix 2 FRCP S110V C101PDBL2

- Manix 2 G10 S30V C101GP2

- Manix 2 FRCP BD1 C101PBK2

- Manix 2 FRCP BD1N C101PBL2

So... I'm assuming that the Maxamet is the Best one currently in term of steel, Whats Next after that? Is it the S110V, S30V, or BD1N...

Thanks
~Seeking Scales~
Purple Micarta Smock
Purple G-10 Smock
Purple Micarta Manix 2
Purple G-10 Manix 2
willc

Re: Manix 2 Models...

Post by willc »

There is no best steel, only more expensive and less expensive.

Depending on what you want the steel for is what should guide your purchase.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Maxamet has longest edge retention but it can oxidizes, S110V is highly corrosion resistant with a really long lasting edge but can also be brittle. Then yes s30 then bd1n
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Grab one of these quick while youcan!

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-man ... -C101GPRD2
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I agree with willc. Best is subjective. Honestly, for general use the G10/S30V or the LW/BD1-BD1N are really good. The G10 models are a nicer knife in general yet I find myself carrying and using the LW models more often. Maxamet and S110V are nice and all, especially if you're looking for the ultimate in edge retention, but the other steels are a little more user friendly IMO. I get plenty of use from S30V, BD1, or BD1N before I have to touch up the edge. When I do have to touch them up it's a fairly easy task on the Sharpmaker.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:19 am

That's definitely a great choice! Especially since it's only $17 more than the regular production S30V model
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Red

Post by Red »

JuPaul wrote:

Ohhhh, nice!!!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Also, if you'd like a lightweight Manix, there are two coming out very soon: the rex45 model (a sprint, awesome super hard tool steel), and the spy27 (a production model, Spyderco's proprietary stainless steel comparable to s30v but easier to sharpen, imo).
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderFlicker wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:33 am
Being new to the hobby, which of these Manix 2 Models are better ? I don't know anything about steel types and such but would like to know. Could you guys give a basic rundown and what Type of steel are better?

Mainly focusing on whats currently available for purchase.

- Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet C101PGY2

- Manix 2 FRCP S110V C101PDBL2

- Manix 2 G10 S30V C101GP2

- Manix 2 FRCP BD1 C101PBK2

- Manix 2 FRCP BD1N C101PBL2

So... I'm assuming that the Maxamet is the Best one currently in term of steel, Whats Next after that? Is it the S110V, S30V, or BD1N...

Thanks
Maxamet and S110V are extremely difficult to sharpen, even for an expert. That’s why you don’t see other companies making knives in these steels. They are very hard to work with.

I like S30V, but I like the LW Manix’s for daily carry. BD1N is about equal to VG-10 in my experience. It holds a good edge and is easy to get screaming sharp.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 am
Also, if you'd like a lightweight Manix, there are two coming out very soon: the rex45 model (a sprint, awesome super hard tool steel), and the spy27 (a production model, Spyderco's proprietary stainless steel comparable to s30v but easier to sharpen, imo).
And these also :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:

+1! The timing of your post means this was fate to have these restock at the same time! These will be gone in hours/minutes I am sure so do not hesitate!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SpyderFlicker

Post by SpyderFlicker »

JuPaul wrote:

I caved in on that 20CV Manix 2, Hope my order went through. meanwhile I'll be getting a Smock today.

R.i.P Wallet

Thanks and No Thanks to you :D
~Seeking Scales~
Purple Micarta Smock
Purple G-10 Smock
Purple Micarta Manix 2
Purple G-10 Manix 2
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SpyderFlicker wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 am
JuPaul wrote:

I caved in on that 20CV Manix 2, Hope my order went through. meanwhile I'll be getting a Smock today.

R.i.P Wallet

Thanks and No Thanks to you :D
Lol - you won't regret it. Great edge retention yet still pretty easy to sharpen. And very corrosion resistant - almost up there with lc200n. Btw, the Manix and the Smock are two of my favorite spydies, so I fully support your choices. ;) :D

Edit: I see you also love purple...bet you could turn these red scales purple with some blue dye.
- Julia

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I already have one incoming from the secondary market at the same price posted, but if I didn't, I'd jump over these in a heartbeat. Great steel for the price!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Post by vivi »

Which steel is best depends on which attributes you prioritize:

Maxamet - Best edge retention, but it rusts much more easily than stainless steels. Will take some time to sharpen.

S110V - Extremely good edge retention, close to Maxamet but not quite as good. Very corrosion resistant unlike Maxamet. Not as tough as Maxamet.

S30V - Very good corrosion resistance. Very good edge holding but a clear step down from S110V in this aspect. Slightly tougher than S110V. Easier to sharpen than Maxamet or S110V. Very well balanced overall.

BD1 - Very corrosion resistant, tougher than the SXXV steels, one of the easiest steels to sharpen Spyderco has used. Edge holding is a step below S30V.

BD1N - More similar to BD1 than the other steels on this list. I haven't used it a ton but it seems to have better edge holding and corrosion resistance than BD1, while still being easier to sharpen and tougher than the SXXV steels.

If you want the best corrosion resistance, you'll want S110V or BD1N.

If you want the best edge holding, you'll want S110V or Maxamet.

If you want the most economical option, you'll want to look at the BD steels.

If you want the easiest one to sharpen, look at the BD steels.

If you want the toughest steel, Maxamet and BD1N seem to be the best options. Though do note the steels are tough in different ways. The high hardness of maxamet means it takes a lot to deform the edge. The low carbide content and lower hardness of BD steels mean they can roll or blunt where other steels could chip.

My priorities are, in order, corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening, toughness and edge holding last, so I would choose BD1N.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

^^ Too late, he already bought the 20CV. Good rundown on those steels though!! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:06 pm
^^ Too late, he already bought the 20CV. Good rundown on those steels though!! :D
That's what I get for not reading every post :p

20CV is a fine steel, I'm sure it'll serve OP well.
:unicorn
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

SpyderFlicker wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:47 am
You bought the best one. I own a Manix 2 in S110V and love it, but I prefer my DLT Para Military 2 in M390 (a steel made by Böhler-Uddeholm that is nearly identical to Crucible’s CPM-20CV) because it’s a much more balanced steel. Plus, DLT’s red handle is gorgeous.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates