The Next Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Texaspoff

The Next Delica

Post by Texaspoff »

After carrying may delicas again I began to compare and think about it's design. I am curious what everyone would like to see in the next iteration of the Delica. For me, I would like to see a wire deep carry clip option. While I'm not a slave to the compression lock, it would be cool to add a compression lock version to the Delica line.

I have no issues fidgeting with my Delicas as they are, a compression lock version would undoubtedly pull a ton of the bugout carriers. IMO with the deep carry clip and compression setup, the Delica would be a better option than the Bugout, especially value wise, and the vast choice of blade steels available.

The only drawback I can see is making the Delica a bit more competitive with the Para 3 Lightweight. I still prefer the Delica's footprint over the Para 3 lightweight, especially since your getting the same usable blade length but in a thinner package.

Is this a decent idea, or am I just being ridiculous?

TXPO
JustinB

Re: The Next Delica

Post by JustinB »

It could possibly be a new model, but replacing the backlock with a comp lock would be sacrilege to some here :p

Sal has mentioned before that comp locks on such thin blades would be next to impossible because of the width needed to properly seat the lock as well
Justin :spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I can't see any of the Seki line ever moving to a comp lock. The backlock is the best lock for hard working affordable user knives like these and really the best lock in general.

If they want to make a Delica-esque comp lock in Golden, that is another story. I'd like to see what they could come up with in that case.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Texaspoff wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 am
After carrying may delicas again I began to compare and think about it's design. I am curious what everyone would like to see in the next iteration of the Delica. For me, I would like to see a wire deep carry clip option. While I'm not a slave to the compression lock, it would be cool to add a compression lock version to the Delica line.

I have no issues fidgeting with my Delicas as they are, a compression lock version would undoubtedly pull a ton of the bugout carriers. IMO with the deep carry clip and compression setup, the Delica would be a better option than the Bugout, especially value wise, and the vast choice of blade steels available.

The only drawback I can see is making the Delica a bit more competitive with the Para 3 Lightweight. I still prefer the Delica's footprint over the Para 3 lightweight, especially since your getting the same usable blade length but in a thinner package.

Is this a decent idea, or am I just being ridiculous?

TXPO
As long as it's an option and not standard equipment, I'm all for that. I do prefer the current clip by a mile, but if a wire clip got more people to try a Delica, well that's a good thing.

The only thing that would improve the Delica, in my opinion, is a longer handle. Might be a future DIY project for me.

The current clip, steel options, FRN pattern, texture, blade shape options, steel liners, and sprints/exclusives make this a classic that's hard to improve on. I'm sure Spyderco will find a way though.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Im eagerly waiting for the Wharncliffe Delica in K390.

Beyond that, the ultimate Delica for me would include full stainless steel liners, Micarta handles, and CruWear.
benben

Post by benben »

Just recently bought a new old school saber grind Delica, I wouldn't change a thing about it! Had no idea I would enjoy carrying it so much!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the comp lock delica is already here. it's called the para 3 lw. :)

the only thing i'd like to see different about the delica is a rockjumper style grip.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I don't think moving to a comp lock would bring the Bugout users to Spyderco, one of the selling points of the Axis lock is its supreme ambidextrous operation. Unless Spyderco plans to make its CBBL smaller to fit the Delica, there's going to be a separate market for the Bugout and Delica (speaking as one of the few lefties around).
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I would like to see production of the Delica moved to the US, and more G10 models. I'm not a big fan of the Delica(frn, backlock). My wife has about 10 of them, loves backlocks. We both have the St. Nicks Delica though.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It’s not likely we’re ever going to see a compression lock Delica; not because it’s made in Seki (in the past, there were compression lock models made in Seki), but because there is already the Para 3 LWT, as was already mentioned.

I’m probably unusual around here in that I personally like the Delica with the back lock and made in Seki. CQI notwithstanding, if it were changed too much into something else, it would no longer be a Delica. It would be some new model.

Jim
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:42 pm
The backlock is the best lock for hard working affordable user knives like these and really the best lock in general.
I agree x2. Also wanting the next gen Delica to keep the backlock. Prefer current clip configuration due to aftermarket support of deep carry clips.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Texaspoff, Oloung1,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:13 pm
Hi Texaspoff, Oloung1,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Much appreciated Sal!
Johncjeff

Post by Johncjeff »

Isn’t the Mantra 3 really close to a delica with a compression lock?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

After seeing the St. Nicks Delica, one for the best upgrades for the Delica would be a G-10 version. :)

The Dragonfly already has a G10 version, so I think the Delica is due for a scale upgrade.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The thin blade of the Delica is actually a function of the backlock. Most compression locks requires a thicker blade to accomodate the sideways travel of the locking tab.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I've carried and used the Delica 4 for a very very very long time. It is my favorite folder. In my hands and mind, the only way it gets better is a deep carry clip. I figured this out by carrying a UKPK for a year and a Sage LW for about 9 months. I'm about to pull the plug on an aftermarket deep carry clip for the Delica 4 and will soon find out for myself.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Delica 4 is so refined that it is hard to find an improvement that doesn’t worsen some other aspect. A wire clip on a FFG Delica would be fine with me - it’s a very lightweight knife, and i love the wire clip in my Manix LW. Deep carry isn’t attractive to me personally. For me, a clipped knife needs to be easy to grasp and withdraw. If I want to be discreet, clipless in-pocket carry is best.

I like the compression lock a lot, but the mid lock is in my opinion better suited to the Delica. Aside from the thin blade challenge, the ambidexterity and closing bias of the mid lock are valuable. I also suspect the compression lock costs more to manufacture.

My ideal Delica upgrade would borrow heavily from the Mantra, but with no flipper, bronze pivot washers, and a stainless blade. The original Mantra 1 attracted me with its edge all the way to the handle, but I didn’t want a flipper, ball bearing pivot, or rustable blade. Basically, it looks like a slightly larger Delica.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Tex,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried the Para 3 LW?

It's a little more commonly identified as a "bugout killer" than the Delica, and as you point out it already has the features you're looking for.

Sidebar, you may do a forum search for "Delica 5" or similar - we've had quite a few threads on this topic over the years. My take? Add a 50/50 choil, and swell over points. That said, I know plenty of us like the Delica just the way it is, and Spyderco already has plenty of knives with those features anyway.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 pm
Hey Tex,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried the Para 3 LW?

It's a little more commonly identified as a "bugout killer" than the Delica, and as you point out it already has the features you're looking for.

Sidebar, you may do a forum search for "Delica 5" or similar - we've had quite a few threads on this topic over the years. My take? Add a 50/50 choil, and swell over points. That said, I know plenty of us like the Delica just the way it is, and Spyderco already has plenty of knives with those features anyway.
“Swell over points”? What is that?