The Next Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: The Next Delica

Post by ladybug93 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:11 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 pm
Hey Tex,

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried the Para 3 LW?

It's a little more commonly identified as a "bugout killer" than the Delica, and as you point out it already has the features you're looking for.

Sidebar, you may do a forum search for "Delica 5" or similar - we've had quite a few threads on this topic over the years. My take? Add a 50/50 choil, and swell over points. That said, I know plenty of us like the Delica just the way it is, and Spyderco already has plenty of knives with those features anyway.
“Swell over points”? What is that?
as in a palm swell instead of finger grooves with points. like i said in my comment... a handle like the upcoming rockjumper would be amazing.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bill1170 wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Hey Tex,

Welcome to the forum!

It's a little more commonly identified as a "bugout killer" than the Delica, and as you point out it already has the features you're looking for.

Sidebar, you may do a forum search for "Delica 5" or similar - we've had quite a few threads on this topic over the years. My take? Add a 50/50 choil, and swell over points. That said, I know plenty of us like the Delica just the way it is, and Spyderco already has plenty of knives with those features anyway.
Sal's words. Compare the handle of the Delica to the handle of the Rock Jumper. Then compare the handle of the Endela to the handle of the Stretch. You'll get it. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:14 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Hey Tex,

Welcome to the forum!

Sal's words. Compare the handle of the Delica to the handle of the Rock Jumper. Then compare the handle of the Endela to the handle of the Stretch. You'll get it. ;)
Like the forward guard on the Stretch? I hadn’t seen that term before. Thanks.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

No grooves, just a palm swell in the middle. Got it. I’ve always liked the 3D palm swell on the Temperance 2 and the Aqua Salt, to name two. I made several Mule Team handles with a 3D swell, and agree that I prefer swell over points.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:21 pm
No grooves, just a palm swell in the middle. Got it. I’ve always liked the 3D palm swell on the Temperance 2 and the Aqua Salt, to name two. I made several Mule Team handles with a 3D swell, and agree that I prefer swell over points.
Yes, the Mule Team is another great example of the palm swell.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

While they actually CAN implement a comp.lock in a 2.5mm blade stock folder (Ikuchi, Watu...) imho it would be a shame to do this to the Delica (except it would not REPLACE the backlock but just be an alternative).
The backlock in my book is one of the features that make the Delica such a great, all conditions user knife and is totally ambidextrous furthermore.

I think a "budget version" of the Watu would be nice for those who'd like to see kind of a comp.lock Delica, since the mentioned Para 3 really is a very different type of knife imho (almost twice the blade stock thickness, bulkier and heavier even in its LW version, different appeoach concerning ergos and so on).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would lead the masses with pitchforks and torches against any attempt to create a Delica comp lock monster. :p

Seriously, I prefer the back lock any day. I love the current handle. I am waiting to get a Rockjumper before I decide if I like that handle or not. However, a Military-esque handle on the Endura makes perfect sense.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:57 pm

My ideal Delica upgrade would borrow heavily from the Mantra, but with no flipper, bronze pivot washers, and a stainless blade. The original Mantra 1 attracted me with its edge all the way to the handle, but I didn’t want a flipper, ball bearing pivot, or rustable blade. Basically, it looks like a slightly larger Delica.

Hmmm, doesn't the Delica already have bronze pivot washers?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:22 pm
However, a Military-esque handle on the Endura makes perfect sense.
Care to make a new thread? Backlock Military?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Texaspoff

Post by Texaspoff »

kennethsime wrote:
Hey Tex,

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah I tried the PLW and I do like the contouring of the FRN scales compared to the G10 Para3, and the deep carry wire clip, but not a fan of anything else about it. At least for me, it didn't come close to replacing my Bugout at the time. Aside from blade stock thickness, you get the same working edge as a para3 in the Delica while taking up much less real estate in the pocket.

I can see where from a design standpoint the Compression lock on a Delica may be a challenge. The Delica in an of itself is an outstanding EDC, and I have no issues with the back lock. I can work it one handed without issues. IMO there are a lot of folks who own Bugouts for nothing more than fidget factor.

I would however like to see the Delica with at least a pocket clip redesign, and an upgrade in steel in the standard model.
All that aside, I am picking up a S90V Delica version today, so it should hold me over for a while. :)

TXPO
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm hoping they always have a lockback Delica, Endura, Dragonfly and Stretch as long as I'm around. They are plenty of other models with alternate locks and designs and they can make more as needed. Other than me liking new steels these designs are already just what I want.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The only improvement I can imagine on a Delica 4 isn't called Delica... it is called LC200N FFG Salt 2...
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:41 pm
After seeing the St. Nicks Delica, one for the best upgrades for the Delica would be a G-10 version. :)

The Dragonfly already has a G10 version, so I think the Delica is due for a scale upgrade.
The Delica and Endura both had G10 options in the past, the thing is the G10 models from Japan ended up being INCREDIBLY expensive to produce, so they were discontinued
Justin :spyder:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JustinB wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 am
nerdlock wrote:
After seeing the St. Nicks Delica, one for the best upgrades for the Delica would be a G-10 version. :)

The Dragonfly already has a G10 version, so I think the Delica is due for a scale upgrade.
The Delica and Endura both had G10 options in the past, the thing is the G10 models from Japan ended up being INCREDIBLY expensive to produce, so they were discontinued

No wonder G10 DFly's are a lot more expensive than their FRN counterparts.

I wonder why the expense in making G10 Japan models though?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:22 am
JustinB wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 am
nerdlock wrote:

No wonder G10 DFly's are a lot more expensive than their FRN counterparts.

I wonder why the expense in making G10 Japan models though?
Not exactly sure, but I seem to remember Sal saying that importing the G10 to Japan adds a lot of that cost. I'm sure that there are other things as well
Justin :spyder:
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm going to be a broken record and say the same thing I always say when these kinds threads come up:

Unlined FRN handles for the next model Delica.
Maintain the four position clip.
Bring back the pointy tip
Keep the backlock. I've thought quite a bit about it, and kinda feel like adding a Compression lock to the Delica would be a step backward.
I'm fine with VG-10, mainly because I can't think of any other steels that are slightly better or comparable, and it seems to much of an upgrade would raise the cost even more.

It would be so much easier if I could just buy a bunch of Salt 2 handles in various colors, so I could stick other blades in them.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:27 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:57 pm

My ideal Delica upgrade would borrow heavily from the Mantra, but with no flipper, bronze pivot washers, and a stainless blade. The original Mantra 1 attracted me with its edge all the way to the handle, but I didn’t want a flipper, ball bearing pivot, or rustable blade. Basically, it looks like a slightly larger Delica.

Hmmm, doesn't the Delica already have bronze pivot washers?
Yes, the Delica has bronze pivot washers. I was enumerating the elements of the Mantra that would need to change in order for it to become the “Super Delica” of my dreams.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I for one, would like the next gen Delica to have a standard deep carry clip like the Bugout.
This would definitely be an improvement.

As for the other things, would like the handle and blade to be more like the Rock Jumper.
Get that hand closer to the edge, it doesn't have a choil anyway, nor does it need one.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm excited to see what the Caly Lighyweight is going to perform like. For me, that model could become the Delica killer. As for the upgrades to the Delica I think @The Mastiff said it best
The Mastiff wrote:...plenty of other models with alternate locks and designs and they can make more as needed.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think that whole family of knives is fully matured. There just isn’t anything really *wrong* with any of them.