Anti-seize

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Anti-seize

Post by SG89 »

Would adding anti-seize to knife clip screws "work"? As in, preventing the screws from seizing but also allowing the screws to stay secured in the barrel threads and not get loose over time? Just thinking out loud as I'm going through some of my gun stuff. I feel like I'm asking a SpyderEdgeForever question. :) ;) I miss that guy!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Re: Anti-seize

Post by wrdwrght »

You’re talking threadlocker?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Are you having troubles with clip screws seizing? I would say just add a tiny amount of blue loctite to keep them in place. Easy enough to remove blue loctited screws with proper tools. I recommend this t-handle bit holder by PB Swiss with some good PB Swiss or Wiha torx bits. This will break them free easy enough, then you can switch the bit into a standard screwdriver style bit holder to spin the screws out faster.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

No, anti-seize does what it says - mostly by stopping corrosion, I guess. As it is also slightly lubricating its use will make it easier to overtighten fastenings.

What you need is just the “seize” ie blue loctite thread lock.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My concern is also with freely spinning screws in scales where the D shape hole has been rounded and the screw and barrel spins freely
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I was fortunate enough a while back to have a friend give me some "nuclear grade" anti-seize compound and it worked very well on everything I used it on. But that's been about 7 years ago and things could have changed. He worked in a Nuke plant and I'm not sure that stuff is available to the general public.

I've wondered about that same issue myself. I've used dry teflon lube with some success in that area. It might be a good idea to send an e-mail to Sentry Solutions or any other company that makes lubrication products to get some feedback.

I know what you mean though because I've had those tiny screws be very difficult to remove at times.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

My vote is that anti-seize compound won't help keep the screws tight.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Maybe some carefully placed epoxy or superglue and a little sanding to turn the "O" into a "D" again?
•• Beau
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Anti-seize, the glitter of the engineering world. It is designed to prevent bold seize due to corrosion or heat. Thread loc is what you want. Essentially, anti-seize acts to add a lubrication effect to bolts. You can reference many industrial torque spec charts that show reduced nominal torque spec requirements with lubricated bolts. I've never thought to use it over threadlocker on small fasteners.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Hey spydergirl,

We work with anti-seize everyday, it's designed to allow high torque applications from seizing up over time in the elements be it weather, corrosive environments, extreme temps etc.

It's designed to allow fastener removal after years of in service in tough environments. Most grades are made with graphite and/or copper which doesn't really degrade over time, prevents fasteners from siezijg together and aids in fastener removal.

Anti-seize had no inherent fastening/thread sealing capabilities like a pipe dope or thread locker. It's solely designed to allow fasteners to be broke free after installation and usage.

I don't really see anti-seize being useful in any part of a pocketknife unless maybe one has extremely corrosive sweat or something.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and to address jd spydo, most grades are readily available to public some just more expensive than others.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

And be careful, an older guy I've worked with refers to it as "everywhere" cuz that's where it usually goes when you use it lol.

Be careful a small.amount goes along way and it can get messy.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Supacede wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:15 am
And be careful, an older guy I've worked with refers to it as "everywhere" cuz that's where it usually goes when you use it lol.

Rumour has it, that’s how Goldfinger got his name...
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:17 am
Supacede wrote:

and it can get messy.

Ha, everytime I see that rerun paging thru tv channels I immediately think it looks like someone dipped that guy in a can of gold colored never seize, lol funny
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:27 am
My concern is also with freely spinning screws in scales where the D shape hole has been rounded and the screw and barrel spins freely
Aha!

If I have an actual complaint about Spyderco, it is its silence regarding complaints of spinning pivots where D-shaped holes in FRN are concerned.

Now I get why anti-seizing interests you. I had a helluva time separating the screw from the spinning barrel in my K390 Urban.

The solution is to glue the barrel in place, let the glue cure, then ever so gently, put the screw in. Trouble is, I have not found a glue that adheres well enough to FRN, especially with the D worn down... I treat my Urban gingerly.

The real solution is for Spyderco to supply us complainers with pivots, appropriate to model, that have opposing screw heads. Failing that, give us the pivot dimensions needed for our particular model so we can find a suitable replacement.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Have you tried nail polish? I just purchased a new bow and the bow tech encouraged me to use a small dab of nail polish to prevent screws from working loose due to vibrations from the bow. I’ve not tried it yet, but he says the screws with nail polish will not loosen by themselves and are easier to break free compared to even blue Loc-Tite. (I love blue Loc-Tite, so I was surprised to hear that). Dunno, but it might be worth a try.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:46 am
Have you tried nail polish? I just purchased a new bow and the bow tech encouraged me to use a small dab of nail polish to prevent screws from working loose due to vibrations from the bow. I’ve not tried it yet, but he says the screws with nail polish will not loosen by themselves and are easier to break free compared to even blue Loc-Tite. (I love blue Loc-Tite, so I was surprised to hear that). Dunno, but it might be worth a try.
RTV will work also, but nail polish is cheaper. Edit: I'm assuming nail polish is cheaper, I've never bought any. :D
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:26 am
Now I get why anti-seizing interests you. I had a helluva time separating the screw from the spinning barrel in my K390 Urban.
Similar issues with my AEB-L Urban. I tried once to take it apart. No such luck. I'm not about to tempt fate. So that one will never be opened. Which, in reality, is probably okay. I took apart my P4LW because I saw an unexpected pin by the lock spring. What a pain to put back together. Now that my curiosity is satisfied, that one won't come apart unless something feels "wrong". My only Spyderco I like taking apart is my Sage 2. It is so simple and so well thought out.
benben

Post by benben »

Supacede wrote:

Exactly, I was going to say the same thing! It's like windshield and back glass urethane here in the shop, a half a dime sized dot anywhere on your body will be allover your clothes, your car seat, and your couch at home before the days out!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

benben wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm
Supacede wrote:

Exactly, I was going to say the same thing! It's like windshield and back glass urethane here in the shop, a half a dime sized dot anywhere on your body will be allover your clothes, your car seat, and your couch at home before the days out!
It sounds like the vacuum grease we work with. One drop and it'll eventually cover the face of the earth to about 3 feet deep.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This is what I have... Bought it years ago for shotgun choke tubes. It's banana scented for some reason... Image
And of course when I tried to open it my thumb slipped and got grease on it 👍🏻FUN.
Spydergirl88