What knives in your collection keep wow-ing you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: What knives in your collection keep wow-ing you?

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Ulize is probably the one that has "wowed" me the most. It is a beast of a knife that has a minuscule footprint in the pocket. It's an amazing thing.

My Micro Dyad also has a sort of "wow" factor. It's a ridiculous little thing, that is also a dang fine cutting tool!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:12 pm
Chaparral FRN.
I'd love to see it sprinted in different steels.

K390 FRN Chap, anyone?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

All of them, but the Dragonfly most of all these last couple of weeks. It's just a very capable knife for its size. One day it was my only EDC, and I didn't even miss the bigger knife.

I'll also mention the Native 5 here. Solid EDC! The Para 3 is big enough I expect it to be able to handle anything I need to do, but the Native 5 feels just a tad smaller, and I sure do get a kick out of "doing more with less."
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Not to be wishy-washy, after mentioning the Jumpmaster, but I am with you on the the Dragonfly. I carry mine often, am always impressed with it, and have yet to be let down. It's just the standard VG-10. I'm sure the SE H1, regular and hawkbill, are even better.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Chaparral FRN.
"Wows" me every time I put it in hand.
Just perfect for what it is and for me kind of a "role model" for what should be emphasized in a small folder concerning handle design, blade stock and so on.
And that's coming from a guy who strongly prefers larger folders generally...
Your posts made me reconsider the Chap. If I ever decide I want a smaller Spyderco, that and the LC200N Native are the two on my list. The ergos are nice for the size and I love the FFG 2mm blade.

I wish more Spydercos were 2mm stock. I can't think of anything I use my 3-4mm Spyderco folders for that a 2mm thick folder would fail at.

I can recall that you could handle a Chap quite recently and liked it, right?

If you ever get a small Spyderco, I hope you´ll go for the Chap and not the Native. Let me explain why:

- First what actually does speak for the Native Salt: It comes in SE; It has the totally rustproof LC 200 N steel, which is a big plus for you as I know..

- Why do I still recommend the Chap over it then?

> Generally just cause it is "something different" and a better performer when it comes to most slicing and generally knife tasks - The Native LW (I had the one in S35VN) is "just" "more of the same": Another typical Spyderco in a smaller size... which is generally NOT a bad thing at all of course!
But the Chap to me is just like a "different kind of tool" with its thin blade and very compact overall package. It is almost like I could bring a knife and additionally "a Chap" if you know what I mean

> They both have virtually the same amount of edge (Native 2.42, Chap 2.35), but the Chap is a clearly shorter (3.6 vs 4.0) and thinner closed package. It is also lighter, despite having liners (2.1 oz vs the 2.4 oz of the linerless Native)
Given your handsize you´d have to use both models with index finger in the choil anyway, so the Chap gives you that amount of cutting edge in a much more efficient package. And I´d say IF you go for a small carry in the first place,go all the way

> Of course the thin and by that better performing blade stock!
2mm of ffg is rather unique even in Spydercos lineup, while 3mm is pretty standard. So when it comes to blade stock, with the Native you get "more of the same" in a shorter package, with the Chap you get something unique and different in your Spyderco collection. And, as said, just a better performer, especially if one - like you do - does reprofile / thin out the edge. Given you apply on boththe exact same edge angle and the exact same thickness behind the edge, 3mm just can´t compete with 2mm in two blades of pretty similar height.

> Lock:
Both models have a great and very refined backlock, but out of the two only the Chap offers internal stop pins as far as I know (don´t have my Native LW anymore)

> Ergos:
This is totally subjective of course! But while I found the Native LW felt more comfortable in hand when just holding it or maybe in light use, when really using the knives harder, like carving deeply into wood, that Chap actually is more stable and less likely to shift/turn in my hand.

> Construction:
I know you do like linerless folders, but the construction and build quaility of the Chap is just amazing! Steel liners, steel along all the back of the handle, it feels (despite being actually being lighter than the Native LW) "heavy" in ad good way, like in "indestructible solid"... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Kapara for all the good reasons
KW Exclusive Millie in S90V with Ti integral frame lock for being such a good looking and capable user.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Province.

Since it's all just home and garden, never knew I had so many tasks that a big knife would do better.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hard question because it sort of stomps all over the way I think about my Spydies.

To wit, just now, I’m sitting in my comfy chair, taking a break from some yard work. I’ve got a Siren in my RFP and its wows me for sure (but then it’s new).

On a side table, I have a Kiwi4, a Techno2 (gave my original Techno to a neighbor deployed to Afghanistan last year), and a Titanium Pingo. A few days ago, this table had a midlock Lil’ Native, G10 Dragonfly, K390 Urban, and CF Chaparral.

Each of these “smalls” has been fondled over and over, some even sharpened, to get myself mentally prepared for an incoming CF Dodo.

Each has wowed me, and not for the first time. If they did not continue to wow me, they’d have been sold.

In short, then, if a Spydie is in my collection, it wows me. It may not the next time around, and if not, it will go away. What is truly remarkable to me is how few Spydies have ceased to wow me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow. 😁
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:56 pm
Wow. 😁
Indeed. :p
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

If this thread has told me anything it’s that I should buy a Chaparral and embrace larger knives.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Chaparral FRN.
I'd love to see it sprinted in different steels.

K390 FRN Chap, anyone?

Sure! I've been hoping for some Chap LW sprints for some time. I'd want an LC200N Salt version first and foremost, then the DLT trading Cru-ple would be awesome. A Cru-Carta Chap would be pretty amazing as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
brj

Post by brj »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:55 am
Kapara for all the good reasons
KW Exclusive Millie in S90V with Ti integral frame lock for being such a good looking and capable user.
Yesss :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:41 pm
If this thread has told me anything it’s that I should buy a Chaparral....

Hope you don't mean that sarcastically, cause YES, you absolutely should! :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

Spook410 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:54 pm
Province.

Since it's all just home and garden, never knew I had so many tasks that a big knife would do better.

I'll second the Province - it's compact, tough, light, looks amazing and takes zero crap. It's not cheap, but it sure is expensive!

Shout out to the GB2 - for being classy and a workhorse at the same time, ages like a fine wine.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Holland

Post by Holland »

Dragonfly salt se
Mantra 1
Gayle Bradley 2

Dragonfly produces an impressive cutting ability for its size. I have owned a dragonfly salt for almost 10 years and always impresses

Mantra 1 and GB2 both have incredible fit and finish and use my favourite steel. I wish the mantra 1 was still in production, its unfortunate that it didn't receive more demand
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The SE leaf Caribbean and my ZDP Stretch 1. Also my Manix LW in S110V. Both the Stretch and the Manix have been modified. The Caribbean is stock.
wheats

Post by wheats »

From a quality/fit/finish perspective, Chaparral faceted Ti, Native fluted Ti, & Vrango.

From a utility perspective, Para 3 LW, Native 5 LW, & Urban k390
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:36 pm
The SE leaf Caribbean and my ZDP Stretch 1. Also my Manix LW in S110V. Both the Stretch and the Manix have been modified. The Caribbean is stock.
As a big fan of the Stretch 1 and 2, I'm curious how you modded it? Any pics to share?

I carried my V-Toku Stretch today and dang i like that one. Excited for K390! :cool: :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:33 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:36 pm
As a big fan of the Stretch 1 and 2, I'm curious how you modded it? Any pics to share?

I carried my V-Toku Stretch today and dang i like that one. Excited for K390! :cool: :D
I don’t have a picture but could take one. Are pics easy to post here? I’ve never done it.

I cut the spine to a gentle concave swoop from in front of the opening hole to just before the tip, then angled down to the tip like the Delica 4. I also convexed and mirror polished the blade.