Considering Hawkbill for Gardening (sharpening question)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kale

Re: Considering Hawkbill for Gardening (sharpening question)

Post by Kale »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:41 am
Kale wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:27 pm
Thanks Cambertree and everyone, for all the very helpful advice... So I ended up buying the Byrd FRN Hawbill.  I like it, especially the barely-noticeable weight in pocket.  It's a real pleasure to use something that is so thoughtfully designed.  Our standard harvest knife has a 3.25'' cutting edge, so this hawkbill isn't big enough to do everything I need (like harvesting greens).  But the Spyderhawk would work for all harvesting, plus would be especially good for cleaning up weeds in spots where the line trimmer would potentially cause damage.  The only Spyderhawk I've found had a starting price of $199 on ebay. I left a WTB on reddit... pointing out that everyone's Hawkbill Spyderco wants to grow old on a farm ;) Blade Forums has a WTB section, but no posts(?) 

If I can't get the Spyderhawk, I might get a Cara Cara Rescue to pair with my Byrd hawkbill. The Byrd models give me a chance to test drive before investing in Salt's... so not a bad thing. Like Evil D suggests, a little pair of snips is best for harvesting something like peppers... but I can see a hawkbill ladybug emerging from a wallet compartment. :)

The kind of small farming-gardening I do, there are many odd jobs... it sometimes feels like I spend half my time fetching tools.  So anything that I can easily carry will help make more efficient use of my time.  I may also pick up a hori-hori for the belt, if anyone has a favorite (I'm not finding any real standouts).
No worries Kale, I’m glad to hear you’re liking that Crossbill. It seems like a very cool hawkbill with that combo edge configuration.

I think you’ll like that upcoming LC200N Pacific Salt too.

Sorry, I can’t help you on the hori-hori as I have never used one. I will say that my Salts are the only knives I have that I don’t mind poking around in the dirt to dig up roots with.
Actually, I got the Byrd model with full serrations and FRN. It's a hair smaller than the Tasman Salt (also has a finger choil and is slightly less hooked). It really disappears in the pocket... I can see how well it would be complimented by a serrated Pacific Salt.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Kale wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:51 pm
Actually, I got the Byrd model with full serrations and FRN. It's a hair smaller than the Tasman Salt (also has a finger choil and is slightly less hooked). It really disappears in the pocket... I can see how well it would be complimented by a serrated Pacific Salt.
Oh, nice one. :) I don’t believe I’m familiar with that model.

Yes, those byrds are great value, and I’ve only just begun to appreciate how many of them are similar to the Seki City FRN series, but with 50/50 finger choils.

I don’t have any byrds myself, but I’ve purchased quite a few as gifts, or on behalf of other people.

I had a similar experience with my first Spydie - a Delica. Often, when I would want to cut something, it was so light and unobtrusive, that I would think I had forgotten to put it in my pocket and curse myself for my carelessness.

Then I would put my hand down amd there it was!

That’s a pretty good quality for those FRN Spydies and byrds to have.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it, and yes, the SE Pac Salt would be a great pairing - either the currently available classic H1 version, or the upcoming flat ground LC200N rendition. :) :cool: :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:05 pm
I have both and sometimes there is a place for a PE! Edit: don’t know why it flipped all the pics
I'm not doubting you at all. But for the past two years I've tried to get guys to tell me what PE Spyderco Hawkbills are good for and I'm not getting any good answers unfortunately. No need in preaching anymore about SE Hawkbills because I do fully understand how useful they are for a wide range of jobs. But tell me at least 2 to 3 jobs where PE Hawkbills are good for.

I own 4 PE Hawkbills and they really don't do anything except to take up space. When it comes to gardening I always take an SE Hawkbill(s) with me. I also find PE Hawkbills some of the most difficult knives to sharpen and maintain..

I'm looking for "gardening uses" for PE Hawkbills but I haven't found any yet.