Golden Made Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Golden Made Fixed Blade

Post by Dazen »

I would like to see a Fixed Blade come out of Golden. Something along the lines of cross between a Proficient/Bushcraft and Mule. One that can be done in Sprints and Exclusives in any number of steels, scale materials and PE/SE. This would be like the PM2\Para 3 of Fixed Blades. I know many of you have Mules from the past but these are complete knives. Just think of a DLC 4V Red G10 from St. Nick, or DLC Cruwear Purple G10 from DLT Trading. I would personally love to see an LC200N Peel-Ply CF option. What do y’all think?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
legOFwhat?

Re: Golden Made Fixed Blade

Post by legOFwhat? »

A Golden made Temperence variety maybe? I'm in!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

What about the Waterway? It checks a lot of those boxes. Size it’s on the small side of mid-sized, LC200N steel, textured G10 handle, outdoorsy design and made in Golden.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:58 am

A Golden made Temperence variety maybe? I'm in!

Yeah, maybe something along the lines of the Temperance 2, but with CPM-3V and Matte OD Green Micarta might get me interested.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

While I really like the Temperence 2, it is just a little too big for EDC. I personally prefer something 4” and under in blade length.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

USA made Bow River in dlc 4v/red, jade/m4 please.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

eRoc wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:36 pm
USA made Bow River in dlc 4v/red, jade/m4 please.
Dream of a M4 fixed blade from Spyderco weekly.

(Something like a Junction size)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I was kind of imagining something like this quick sketch:

Scale curvature is up still up in the air.
Dane

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

So glad you brought this thread up Dazen ;) >> Because I've always had an affinity for Golden, CO USA Earth made Spyderco knives to begin with. I have owned a couple of the older Swick models from years past that were GOLDEN made.

I know I kind of sound like a scratched/broken vinyl LP record album saying this>> But for years my favorite Spyderco fixed blade and still is to this very day is the original TEMPERANCE 1 model VG-10 in SE & PE. It was one of the very few fixed blade Spyders you could get in SE & PE both. My TEMPERANCE 1 set that I use constantly ( SE & PE) have really seen a lot of usage over the years.

I would love to see a high end set of TEMPERANCE 1 models made with a Crucible or Carpenter or Bohler blade steel made right at GOLDEN, CO >> my second choice would be to see Spyderco make a fixed blade Hawkbill at the GOLDEN factory.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:22 pm
So glad you brought this thread up Dazen ;) >> Because I've always had an affinity for Golden, CO USA Earth made Spyderco knives to begin with. I have owned a couple of the older Swick models from years past that were GOLDEN made.

I know I kind of sound like a scratched/broken vinyl LP record album saying this>> But for years my favorite Spyderco fixed blade and still is to this very day is the original TEMPERANCE 1 model VG-10 in SE & PE. It was one of the very few fixed blade Spyders you could get in SE & PE both. My TEMPERANCE 1 set that I use constantly ( SE & PE) have really seen a lot of usage over the years.

I would love to see a high end set of TEMPERANCE 1 models made with a Crucible or Carpenter or Bohler blade steel made right at GOLDEN, CO >> my second choice would be to see Spyderco make a fixed blade Hawkbill at the GOLDEN factory.

Honestly I would be happy with any fixed blade that came out of Golden. I’ve never handled the Temperance 1 to know the ergos, but obviously y’all know I have a preference. I like the EDC of the Mule and Proficient, but, I’ve also carried my Province as well. The Mule is just a bit to cramped in the grip and the Proficient is is just about perfect, but, crazy expensive and made in Taichung. I just want to see a fixed blade come out of Golden in some awesome Sprints and Exclusives!
Dane

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

1DF399A3-02A6-4693-865F-72913C0F11C6.jpeg
1DF399A3-02A6-4693-865F-72913C0F11C6.jpeg (15.84 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:17 pm
Hey Lance, I hear you! I just didn’t want to say anything, or insult you, about changing your design for my ideal EDC.
Dane

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like the Proficient, and I'm hoping to get one after I get my 2nd copies of both the Spyderco Province and Spyderco Sustain.

These are excellent fixed blades and you'ze guyz need to get them NOW!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:35 pm
I like the Proficient, and I'm hoping to get one after I get my 2nd copies of both the Spyderco Province and Spyderco Sustain.
Do you have a Zoomer?

That one has always intrigued me, but I've never gotten past the sticker shock and picked one up.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:34 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:17 pm
Hey Lance, I hear you! I just didn’t want to say anything, or insult you, about changing your design for my ideal EDC.
I know man, I was just trying to be a funny guy. :rolleyes: :p
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I guess I should ask if y’all actually EDC a fixed blade? If so what size blade do you prefer? Or would you rather have a Golden model for outdoor activities?

I love to EDC fixed blade, especially in a cross draw or horizontal on my lower back. They are fantastic because there is no opening or closing, and usually zero hot spots. I like to stay around 4” because I don’t enjoy making people nervous when I pull it out.
Dane

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:37 am
I guess I should ask if y’all actually EDC a fixed blade? If so what size blade do you prefer? Or would you rather have a Golden model for outdoor activities?

I love to EDC fixed blade, especially in a cross draw or horizontal on my lower back. They are fantastic because there is no opening or closing, and usually zero hot spots. I like to stay around 4” because I don’t enjoy making people nervous when I pull it out.

I was going to reply to your earlier comment about EDC. I only EDC folders. Fixed blades (aside from my cheap Moras) for me are purely for outdoor use. Hiking or yardwork. I enjoy blades like the CPK HDFK, LT Wright Outback, and Bark River Wilderness Explorer. I had and purged the first two because I wanted different scales, but haven't rebought yet due to my funds always seeming to go to Spydie folders. :D The Wilderness Explorer will likely be my next fixed blade purchase. I typically carry fixed knives in a leather dangler sheath hanging from my belt. Something along these lines from Spyderco in a ~5-7" Cruwear/3V/AEB-L/4V blade with matte Micarta scales and a leather dangler sheath would have my interest. DLC would be cool on a knife like this as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Dazen wrote:

I've had a MuleTeam with me most days for over a year now while at work, and it suits me just fine. Any larger would be cumbersome for me personally. My Province is used mainly on weekends or I'll keep it in my backpack when hiking, which isn't often enough. :o
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dazen wrote:
I prefer a 3" fixed blade for EDC. My favorite is the Bradford Guardian 3 (wharncliffe).
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 am
What about the Waterway? It checks a lot of those boxes. Size it’s on the small side of mid-sized, LC200N steel, textured G10 handle, outdoorsy design and made in Golden.
I'll second that, the waterway is spectacular.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v