Clips you don’t like do not constitute a fatal flaw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Takuan

Re: Clips you don’t like do not constitute a fatal flaw

Post by Takuan »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 am
I don’t mean to be obtuse, but what is the value proposition?
I think Notsurewhy is referring to an idea from marketing theory: "value proposition" is a feature that makes a product more attractive to customers (so that the perceived value of the product is justified by the price).
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

MichaelScott wrote:
How much I like a knife vs how much I had to pay for it. The more I spend on a knife the fewer "faults" I'm willing to put up with. The new clip will probably increase my enjoyment of the knife but at a corresponding increase in price.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Takuan wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 am
MichaelScott wrote:
I think Notsurewhy is referring to an idea from marketing theory: "value proposition" is a feature that makes a product more attractive to customers (so that the perceived value of the product is justified by the price).
Value Added!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:42 pm
Value Added!
:D
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I'm not the world's biggest fan of the clip placement on the Para 3 G10, but at the same time, I'm glad it is the way it is.

The Manix 2 doesn't do deep-carry very well, at least not to my liking. I tried a deep-carry clip a couple years back, and found the loop-over clip extended several millimeters beyond the end of the handle, leaving less knife to grab, when pulling from the pocket. The Para 3, with it's unpopular clip placement, is perfect for aftermarket clip options. It's the only knife, besides the Delica, that I enjoy having a deep-carry clip on, because the clip does not extend beyond the handle. The "old-style", pre-lanyard cutout, MXG clips I added, give a much better grip, filling my hand a bit more, but also creating a taper, that helps keep my hand securely on the handle.

In other words: it's all subjective and sometimes perspective can make a world of difference.

The only real issue I have with the complaints, is when people claim they have no choice but to buy an aftermarket clip for a Para 3. Preference and need are not always synonymous. I guess it's just the negative, Debbie downer attitude that rubs me the wrong way.