Who of you buys only Spyderco, no other brand knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Haunted House

Re: Who of you buys only Spyderco, no other brand knives?

Post by Haunted House »

I’ve barely even looked at other brands since getting into Spyderco.
(Although I’m still tempted to get a hinder XM-18 Wharncliffe).

Fixed blades are the only knife category I stray from Spyderco on. If Spyderco ever start making more appealing(to me) fixed blades, ESPECIALLY in Cru-wear, that will definitely change.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My folders are mostly Spyderco but I do own many non Spyderco folders as well. When it comes to fixed blades and kitchen knives Spyderco is in the minority.

I have never really understood being blindly brand loyal in any area.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

No question that I’m a big fan of spyderco, but life is too short and there are so many great knives. I made fixed blades for hunting and bush craft since the 50’s so I wouldn’t buy them from anyone. Most of my kitchen knives were purchased and I really no nothing about the spyderco kitchen models, but would like to know more.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'd say I'm about 80/20 overall, with 80% of my collection being Spyderco, I've got Victorinox & Leatherman for their respective niche products... a few fixed and folding knives from Hogue, Microtech, Steel Will, SOG, ZT, CRKT... I would say in terms of single blade folding knives, 90% of them are Spyderco -- and in the last year I think I've only purchased one non-Spyderco folding knife (new lock type I wanted to try out) This is a really interesting thread to read, I hope it keeps going, and growing... :)

Cheers,

John
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

Not for me, I buy the designs I like and that’s it. And even they come and go as I fall in and out of love with them. But that goes for all of the knives I collect, I’m not loyal to any brand really
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I have MAINLY Spydies, with three Benchmades mixed in, and lots of different traditional slipjoints as well. I would say that 70 to 75% of my collection is all Spyderco :D
Justin :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:40 am
My folders are mostly Spyderco but I do own many non Spyderco folders as well. When it comes to fixed blades and kitchen knives Spyderco is in the minority.

Totally with you on that one generally - all my other stuff (mountaineering gear and clothes, running shoes, skis, cars, bikes and so on) is and has always been from multiple brands.

Still I own exclusively Spyderco folders nowadays.. and though I certainly really like Spydercos designs, philosophy and approach towards quality and also towards their employees, I would not say I am "blindly brand loyal" here.
I can´t explain why this is, but I am really and genuinly just not interested in folders of other brands anymore at all, despite I am well aware that several of them make a very good product!
Maybe it is even just some kind of "self protection" ;) : Spyderco already gives me everything I need in the folder-realm, and I just don´t want to spend more time and more money by looking into other brands too.
Could be different if folders were my main hobby, but in fact it is just second or third behind "everything mountains" and the latter demands a lot of time, dedication and also money already... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I might buy a Benchmade Bugout one day, but my Native 5 Salt SE has tempered my desire for just about any other folder. The only thing I really want now is an Endela Salt if Spyderco ever makes it.

If Spyderco made a Clipitool with cigar scissors like the SAK cigar knives I'd buy one of those as soon as I could.

Right now I'm actually trying to get rid of folders I don't use so I can put the funds towards upgrading my digital camera.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:29 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:40 am

Totally with you on that one generally - all my other stuff (mountaineering gear and clothes, running shoes, skis, cars, bikes and so on) is and has always been from multiple brands.

Still I own exclusively Spyderco folders nowadays.. and though I certainly really like Spydercos designs, philosophy and approach towards quality and also towards their employees, I would not say I am "blindly brand loyal" here.
I can´t explain why this is, but I am really and genuinly just not interested in folders of other brands anymore at all, despite I am well aware that several of them make a very good product!
Maybe it is even just some kind of "self protection" ;) : Spyderco already gives me everything I need in the folder-realm, and I just don´t want to spend more time and more money by looking into other brands too.
Could be different if folders were my main hobby, but in fact it is just second or third behind "everything mountains" and the latter demands a lot of time, dedication and also money already... ;)
I wouldn't call it "blind loyalty". But rather, "earned trust".
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:29 pm
I wouldn't call it "blind loyalty". But rather, "earned trust".
That's a good way of putting it, yeah
Justin :spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m another one who buys pretty much only Spyderco knives. I’ll get the occasional kitchen knife from another maker, and of course Victorinox Swiss Army Knives, but other brands of locking folder just don’t interest me very much.
acer

Post by acer »

Pretty much spyderco for folders these days and cold steel for fixed . Leatherman for multitools and victorinox for uk legal . 99 percent of my collection is spider on folders. I think you need some sort of system or can run away with you and your bank balance . Knowing your brand eliminates the risk as this hobby ant cheap any more . Any think for a simply life😇

Herman
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

With the modern knives, just about all is Spyderco. Probably 75+.

I did stray a couple of times.
I recently got 2 Leeks in GITD carbon fiber. Gotta have some glow.
A CIVIVI Elementum S35VN is on the way.

For traditional knives, I have a lot of GEC knives(75+), and a smattering of Case, Scrade, Camillus etc.

Several SAKS, couple Leathermans and a few free Gerbers(from deployments) make up my multitools.
Wasil

Post by Wasil »

I do not own a single spyderco folder, but my fixed blade's are slowly being overrun by spyderco at the mo. I'm not overly brand loyal there're just a lot of things spyderco are doing right for me at the moment, there my jam.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Been into CRKTs, Kershaws before Spyderco. Aside from one Kizer that I bought because it was a steal at that time, All of my knives right now are all Spydies.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

It is I, except for one ESEE Izula ;)
(in over 7 years)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like a few other knife brands, but for Clipits it's Spyderco or bust: I'm just too spoiled by the round hole. I like Becnhamde and ZT well enough, the quality is there, but I'm just not into flippers or thumb studs. Chris Reeve sure makes a heck of a knife, but they're a little rich for my blood.

For multi-tools, I like my Victorinox Swiss army knives. I usually carry a SAK along with my Spydie.

For the woods I've got a couple of Moras, and I'd like to try out a couple of ESEEs (or maybe a Bark River or Bradford).

No sense in blindly following a brand, but I definitely buy into some value propositions more than others.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Come on, who can resist the Italians? I have more Fox and Lionsteels than Spydercos - with a few strange Maserins and Vipers thrown in. Even Spyderco loves the Italians - look at the collaborations!