Who of you buys only Spyderco, no other brand knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Who of you buys only Spyderco, no other brand knives?

Post by Dazen »

I stopped buy anything else a while ago, anything without a Spydie Hole just doesn’t do it for me.

BUT, If Spyderco doesn’t come out with a Premium Slip Joint soon I might have break rank. ;)
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
carrot

Post by carrot »

I really only buy Spyderco but sometimes I dabble. I snagged a ShamWEri and a CRK Inkosi recently.

I was also thinking about trying the MBO but the last time I dealt with the butterfly left a nasty taste.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Recently bought a ZT folder. I like it as much as any Spyderco I own, it's a great knife.

Just purchase two fixed blades - a SOG and a Cold Steel. For the money they can't be beat. Both are bad *** solid knives.

A Benchmade Mini-grip customized for our local sporting goods store is one of my favorite EDC's.

I own more Spyderco's than any other brand, but other company's make knives that are just as good.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Impressive, guys. I had thought that most of you buy some other made or at least engineered in the US quality knife occasionally - there are quite a few other successful and reputable brands out there.

Germany has quite some reputable knife brands, too. And like I stated in my initial post, I did own some Böker knives in the past. I like things that are Made in Germany. But when it comes to knives, I'm truly one of Sal's Angels. :) (Name courtesy of Larry Mott, I hope)
Last edited by archangel on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Spyderco makes up the large majority of my "accumulation." I'd say about 83% of my knives are Spyderco. At this point, I know what I like in a knife and Spyderco generally checks many more of those boxes than its competitors. That said, I'm not opposed trying out other brands if I think I will really enjoy them. I do own a knife or two from most of the "major" production knife companies.. ZT, Benchmade, Kershaw, Buck, CRKT, Ontario, etc. make some knives that range from pretty good to absolutely fantastic.. they also make A LOT of knives that do not appeal to me in any way.

Another consideration for my collecting (accumulating, as I like to call it ;)) is the sheer number of models Spyderco puts out that I am interested in. Spyderco has put out more new models this quarter than some companies have had in their lineups in the last decade! By comparison, think of companies like TRM or Hogue.. I LOVE TRM knives, but they only offer 4-5 models and their production is very limited, so getting your hands on the knives can be extremely difficult. Recently, I've really come to appreciate Hogue knives.. the quality and F&F is excellent, some of their knives really appeal to me (others not so much).. but here again, they've only offered an handful of models since 2010, and through more limited sales channels, etc.. so now that I have the Hogue and TRM models that I like, it's unlikely that my collection of these brands will expand much further beyond these models, unless they release something new that appeals to me. My interest in trying out new/different models definitely causes me to buy more Spyderco products for the simple fact that they produce them with greater frequency.. and the fact that Spyderco is such a great company makes it a no-brainer for me!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

WHAT!!!!! There are other knife brands....... :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I have a fair number of other brand folders but I haven't bought any new ones in several years. I've always preferred Spydies but nowadays Spyderco is the only brand I really get excited for. So that's where my money goes :)
Higher

Re: Who ?

Post by Higher »

I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I hate studs. I hate them with a passion. So this makes my knife buying simple. If it doesn't have a hole or it isn't a fixed blade, I am just not interested.

Holes aside, I have definitely become a Spyderco loyalist for other reasons. I like the company attitude. I like the quality.
I enjoy the catering to steel freaks.

Whatever the reasons I would say probably 97 percent (or more) of my knife buying is Spyderco.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:22 am
I stopped buy anything else a while ago, anything without a Spydie Hole just doesn’t do it for me.

BUT, If Spyderco doesn’t come out with a Premium Slip Joint soon I might have break rank. ;)

Yeah, I've never really been into non-locking folders aside from SAKs, but the GEC stuff has been looking attractive lately and I am considering getting one.

I also thought for a minute about getting the Benchmade 3V Bailout just because I have been wanting a 3V folder, but I decided against it. Hopefully some dealer will come to their senses and do some sweet combo of DLC 3V and matte Denim or OD Green Micarta or something and put it in some of the Golden and Seki models. Endura and Police LW would be great.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I have some legacy issues: first knife from grandpa, old leathermans, an Ontario RAT1.
But since i tried Spyderco I'm addicted to the :spyder: :D
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

97% Spyderco for folders. 0% Spyderco fixed blades. Would like more fixed blade options in various steels + made in USA. Spy27 Mule and Swick are going to be my first Spydie fixed blades.

I prefer USA made knives and like the steel options from Spyderco. I've also become a fan of the company culture.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I only buy/collect Spyderco folders. The spydie hole is the only way for me now, there's no going back! But I do use and buy non-spydie fixed blades.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You may as well say I do, but I have no issues buying other brands, they just usually don't offer much that I like. In the last several years though it has been 100% Spyderco.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Spyderco and CRK when it comes to folders.

Randall and maybe a few others for fixed blades depending on what they are.

I have a S125V custom fixed blade coming towards the end of the year.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Byrd :D
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm probably at 85-90% Spyderco. I do like my Spydies but I also really like the models I have from other companies.

I'm sure even Sal and Eric aren't 100% Spyderco
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm still happy with some other brands. i still look, but rarely buy even though they are typically a better value (in other words, cheaper knives that still have acceptable features and performance). my last "other" knife was a kershaw flipper that i just had to have because it's cool. i've got to say, after moving away from assisted flippers for a few years, they really feel cheap and junky now, even though this one is one of the nicer american models.
i like cold steel's triad lock better than spyderco's back lock. i don't hate the spyderco back lock, but i only have them in salt models and don't prefer them anywhere else.
i will always love swiss army knives. my most recent sak purchase was a rangergrip model that has the same tools as the camper, which was my previous favorite model. it is a great knife that i carry in my backpack. on my last hike, i smacked my head on a branch that hadn't been cut back far enough. the saw on the rangergrip was a pleasure to use.
i like some other brands for different designs and cheaper options, but i mostly prefer my spyderco knives. my three favorites are the yojimbo, manix, and pac salt. i still need to try a caribbean as soon as i can justify the cost though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

For folders ... 100% spyderco.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:18 am
Exclusivly Spyderco for like two years now.
Other brands certainly DO make a good product too,but I am just not interested anymore..

I am in the process of selling my BM Minigrip, this will leave me with owning solely Spydercos when it comes to quality folders.
I sold the two BM Minigrips that I had a couple years back. It was hard to do; but once I did, I have no regrets and have never looked back.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!