Odds of more choil-less designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stoney87

Odds of more choil-less designs

Post by Stoney87 »

I have seen a lot of discussion about forward choils and initially I loved them. However after owning a few Spyderco knives I’ve ended up on the other end of the spectrum. I realize there are plenty of knives without them, but it seems like most of Spyderco a 3” and smaller knives are featuring a choil. For some knives it seems like a necessity like the dragonfly series, but I hold my native and think if the released a model similar to it, same blade shape, and general handle shape, but without the choir, so that you can get more edge. So am I missing anything in that range that’s not part of the tenacious family or a Delica? I’d love to see more offerings in this area, The team at Spyderco does a great job, and am no means telling them to abandon what they do better than most, just wondering if there was any thought of doing some more choils knives in the 3” and smaller size from somewhere that can use higher end material.
Last edited by Stoney87 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Re: Odds of more choil-less designs

Post by VooDooChild »

It seems like we are already getting more non-choil designs.

I prefer not having a choil, so long as one hand closing remains doable. I also agree on the native as well as about any knife in that size range that has a choil.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Looks like non-choil knives are trending up. Looking forward to seeing more designs
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Stoney87 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:05 pm
I have seen a lot of discussion about forward choils and initially I loved them. However after owning a few Spyderco knives I’ve ended up on the other end of the spectrum. I realize there are plenty of knives without them, but it seems like most of Spyderco a 3” and smaller knives are featuring a chili. For some knives it seems like a necessity like the dragonfly series, but I hold my native and think if the released a model similar to it, same blade shape, and general handle shape, but without the choir, so that you can get more edge. So am I missing anything in that range that’s not part of the tenacious family or a Delica? I’d love to see more offerings in this area, The team at Spyderco does a great job, and am no means telling them to abandon what they do better than most, just wondering if there was any thought of doing some more choils knives in the 3” and smaller size from somewhere that can use higher end material.

Some small Victorinox knives feature chilis as well now.. :D

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

:) lol, I just saw that this morning! Like I’m saying, we need fewer chili’s, not more. Shame on you victorinox!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Would the Spyopera fit what you are looking for? It carries as small as the Native and Delica, but it does have a bit more working edge. It also has the higher end material that you want.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer choil-less knivesin the 2.95” and above bladed knives. The Native does not feel good in my hand and the choil catches on things. The Delica feels great and does not catch.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Stoney87 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 am
:) lol, I just saw that this morning! Like I’m saying, we need fewer chili’s, not more. Shame on you victorinox!
But I love chilis! Jalepenos too! :)

Back on topic. I originally thought the finger choil (or whatever it's officially called) was the best thing ever. I still like all the models I have with them but lately I've been appreciating designs without them. So yes, bring on more designs without the finger choil
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sal has explained why he has designed his knives with the features they have now, including choils and ricassos. If I remember, he said it was to improve safety while closing and flexibility in grip choices. I find all the features to be part of being a Spyderco knife, just like the open hole. Without all the iconic Spyderco features, what would they be? Just another pocket knife, IMO at least.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Sal has indicated that Spyderco will be watching Rock Jumper sales to determine whether or not they should release more choiless designs. I believe he also mentioned working on a choiless Shaman variant.

It is slightly over 3”, but I would say that the Ikuchi is a choiless design worth checking out.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

I should really look at the spy-opera. It’s more than I have ever spent on a knife. My largest purchase is the native 5 I own. I don’t mean to rain on choils, on some designs and sizes they are great. Spyderco does them well to, they have that little notch that protrudes down to keep your finger from contacting the edge, like happens on the Pilar. I focused on the 3” blade length due to living in Illinois, which is the limit as I understand it, if you are on public land etc..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Stoney87 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25 am
I should really look at the spy-opera. It’s more than I have ever spent on a knife. My largest purchase is the native 5 I own. I don’t mean to rain on choils, on some designs and sizes they are great. Spyderco does them well to, they have that little notch that protrudes down to keep your finger from contacting the edge, like happens on the Pilar. I focused on the 3” blade length due to living in Illinois, which is the limit as I understand it, if you are on public land etc..

Yep, for what you are looking for in a roughly 3" blade length without a choil and with high end materials, I really don't think you can find better (or anything even remotely comparable) to the Spyopera. It is phenomenal. The fit and finish are outstanding. It is a Made in Italy work of art. Buy one. Run, don't walk. Good luck though, they seem to be selling out as soon as they hit the dealers. :eek:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Stoney87 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25 am
...I focused on the 3” blade length due to living in Illinois, which is the limit as I understand it, if you are on public land etc..
I know you're trying to stay within the letter of the law for all situations. I lived in IL for the first 50 years of my life and, unless I was going into Chicago, I never worried about carrying a knife that had a blade longer than 3"
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Have you seen the G10 Firefly? Maybe that one floats your boat?? Discontinued, but KnivesPlus and other dealers have some remaining stock.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:30 am
Have you seen the G10 Firefly? Maybe that one floats your boat?? Discontinued, but KnivesPlus and other dealers have some remaining stock.

I was really excited about that one until I saw how small it is. If that came in 3.75 inch or so blade I'd have bought one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Rock Jumper goes in this direction, though a bit bigger than what you speak of, and Sal was writing of Leaf Jumper, as a leaf blade on the same handle.

In smaller sizes, you have the Byrd Starling with the same philosophy.

3" is the blade size where you need as much edge as possible, as it should be compact, but at the same time offer as much usable edge as possible.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Stoney,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:49 am
Would the Spyopera fit what you are looking for? It carries as small as the Native and Delica, but it does have a bit more working edge. It also has the higher end material that you want.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Nobody has yet mentioned the superior aesthetics of the 50/50 choil knives when they're closed. Their shape has an elegant flow. The choil-deficient knives have an interrupted, choppy look to them.

I'd like a choilless blade that looked good when closed. And it would have to be a CBBL, to keep my fingers out of the way as the blade drops closed.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:03 pm
Hi Stoney,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you, you being on the forum and interacting with consumers is a large part of why I buy you’re products. Not everyone is as big a part of their community. I think it shows where the company’s values lie.
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:24 am
Rock Jumper goes in this direction, though a bit bigger than what you speak of, and Sal was writing of Leaf Jumper, as a leaf blade on the same handle.

In smaller sizes, you have the Byrd Starling with the same philosophy.

3" is the blade size where you need as much edge as possible, as it should be compact, but at the same time offer as much usable edge as possible.
I’d be a fan of the rock jumper with a leaf shaped blade. I fully agree with your stand point on 3” blades and needing to maximize edge to blade ratio.