Help order from Knifecenter to Europe canceled by Airline

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Help order from Knifecenter to Europe canceled by Airline

Post by Wartstein »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:43 am
Update:
Knifecenter tried to ship again for free.
And the USPS tracking says it has arrived at Vienna Airport yesterday!

:)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Wunderbar! I’m glad they were finally able to get it to Austria for you.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Update:

Awesome news!

I use a forwarding service when buying knives from online dealers in the US, lucky for us there are many companies to choose from that ship US goods to our country.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Update:
To whom it may concern: Well done! :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I placed an order with KnifeCentre a couple of years ago and picked the FEDEX shipping option. The parcel arrived incredibly quickly in Germany. There were some handling fees etc but for convenience and speed it was unbeatable.
Another time I ordered things from Cutlery Shoppe using the USPS shipping option - disaster. My parcel disappeared in transit, and neither Cutlery Shoppe nor any of the postal services involved could help me, despite tracking! Nice waste of money that was.
All in all, I have had enough bad experiences shipping items from the US that I don't bother at all any more, it's just too much hassle most times. If there is something I must have I would probably pick the fedex option if they have it, as things go smoother - for a price.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Another chapter in my Dragonfly odyssey:

Yesterday i had a pick-up ticket in my mailbox at home.
Parcel was deposited at the municipal office at the other side of the street.
Today after work i walked cross the street and try to get it.
Unfortunatly the municipal office is only a pick-up partner not a postal partner.
The have no payment system so i could not pay my taxes and customs.
Unfortunatly our postman is on holiday and the temporary postman didn't know this.
It has to go back to the distribution center and then to a properly postal office where i can pick it up.
So i will not have a chance before monday.
:mad:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am
Another chapter in my Dragonfly odyssey:

Yesterday i had a pick-up ticket in my mailbox at home.
Parcel was deposited at the municipal office at the other side of the street.
Today after work i walked cross the street and try to get it.
Unfortunatly the municipal office is only a pick-up partner not a postal partner.
The have no payment system so i could not pay my taxes and customs.
Unfortunatly our postman is on holiday and the temporary postman didn't know this.
It has to go back to the distribution center and then to a properly postal office where i can pick it up.
So i will not have a chance before monday.
:mad:
Oh man... typical for our Austrian beureaucrazy...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

It's not better in Germany. I had to go on a two hour there-and-back journey to pick up some incredibly dangerous knife from the customs people. After waiting half an hour I got invited into a dark office where my suspect package was placed, like evidence in a courtroom, on a desk in front of me. I was given the opportunity to explain the contents of the mysterious box. Yes, it's a knife, I confessed, wondering if I should be calling a lawyer. A knife that locks and can be opened with one hand only. The beefy dude opposite glared at me like I'd tried importing a crate of hand grenades, then began unpicking the package. His buddies looked on anxiously, wondering whether it was safe to stay in the room. Suddenly, my man chuckled and clicked the offending knife open. It was a CRKT Pilar with a whopping 2.4 inch blade - even he couldn't see it being used as a lethal weapon.
All this nonsense cost me something like 19 euros for a 35 dollar knife. Add journey time, basically my entire afternoon, and this cheap little knife was beginning to cost me.
A couple of days later the CRKT was on Amazon de for 34 euros... I sold mine for 25 euros a couple of months later. Too small!
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Thunderpants wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:36 pm
It's not better in Germany. I had to go on a two hour there-and-back journey to pick up some incredibly dangerous knife from the customs people. After waiting half an hour I got invited into a dark office where my suspect package was placed, like evidence in a courtroom, on a desk in front of me. I was given the opportunity to explain the contents of the mysterious box. Yes, it's a knife, I confessed, wondering if I should be calling a lawyer. A knife that locks and can be opened with one hand only. The beefy dude opposite glared at me like I'd tried importing a crate of hand grenades, then began unpicking the package. His buddies looked on anxiously, wondering whether it was safe to stay in the room. Suddenly, my man chuckled and clicked the offending knife open. It was a CRKT Pilar with a whopping 2.4 inch blade - even he couldn't see it being used as a lethal weapon.
All this nonsense cost me something like 19 euros for a 35 dollar knife. Add journey time, basically my entire afternoon, and this cheap little knife was beginning to cost me.
A couple of days later the CRKT was on Amazon de for 34 euros... I sold mine for 25 euros a couple of months later. Too small!
Sorry you had to go through that, but your retelling of the story is hilarious. It sounds like an episode of Mission: Impossible. :D
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
THB

Post by THB »

I have given up on ordering knives from the US to Denmark after similar experience. It seems to have worked out for you in the end so that is a good thing.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

THB wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:53 am
I have given up on ordering knives from the US to Denmark after similar experience. It seems to have worked out for you in the end so that is a good thing.

I have been ordering knives from the US to Spain since 1999. Never had a problem. But 2 years ago it became a nightmare. I got all my packages but it took them, in average, some 30-40 days to reach my home. That, without mentioning the import duties, taxes and handling costs (that one has to pay to the official agency of the Postal Service which takes care of the customs clearance) and which may reach a 30-35% of the cost of the knife. So you end up getting your knife one month and a half later and paying 135% of the price that you saw in the website of the US seller.

I also gave up. I recommend you a Finish Internet seller named Lamnia. The price is obviously higher (VAT is added and the rate of exchange sometimes gives you surprises) but you get your knife in 2-4 days. To give you an idea, I paid for my Para Military 2 CPM S110V EUR 210,77. At the KnifeCenter it costs USD 185,50.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry you are going through all this. :o I hope you like the knife once you get it? Keep us up on the saga.

Hi Granoo Fink, THB,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
austrian_spyder_fan

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:39 pm
Sorry you are going through all this. :o I hope you like the knife once you get it? Keep us up on the saga.

Hi Granoo Fink, THB,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you Sal for your words and also all forum members for your experiences.

It's unbelievable, it has arrived the postal partner already today (placed order on 14th July)and i could pick it up at late afternoon.
I've got the Dragonfly Exclusive Pakkawood and it's soo awesome!
I love it, pictures will follow soon.

Please Sal do more wood scales, even if i know wood in such a small size is difficult to handle in a high quality industrial process.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Awesome, I've always liked the look of those Pakkawoods! Glad it worked out for you!
austrian_spyder_fan

Today i found a few minutes to take a picture.
The wait was worth it:
1.jpg
2.jpg
1599673762328_3.jpg
Ric

Post by Ric »

Sweet.
How does the wood feel?
Very smooth?
austrian_spyder_fan

Ric wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:19 pm
Sweet.
How does the wood feel?
Very smooth?
It feels very smooth and warm.
Also a little bit lighter than the G10 foliage green.
I really love it.